SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #36,811 of 45,723
F9F38653-6BA1-4FB5-A031-07E3FDB0C8CD.jpeg

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #36,812 of 45,723
Both Classical and Concerto are aiming for life-like instruments. Classical has more holographic 3D, depth, larger stage. Concerto will focus more on solo instrument piece. More intimate tone, anology and energy.
Vinyl firmware is an attempt for more anolog tone for all type of genre records.
Many thanks for your work. I'll try concerto soon. I really love vinyl which is analog and relax. I can hear it for a long time. I also like the classical but the vocal in vinyl is the best for me.

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #36,813 of 45,723
Apr 29, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #36,814 of 45,723
The last time I tried Z1R and WM1A felt that it don't drive the Z1R well.

:) lol.
Seems fine to me? They are made to be put together by Sony?
Using Jupiter301-T1 with high gain. Obviously going desktop gets them a touch better, but both ways sound enjoyable to me? Before the custom firmware the 1A was my preferred way even over the TA and 1Z? Though I just updated the TA to FW 1.03 and it’s best.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #36,815 of 45,723
In the meantime, a new version appeared, JustAnother WM1Z Tuning, and it's available here (click).

Feel free to give WM1Z² a try, here (click).

If you applied other tunings before, it's recommended that you first flash the stock 3.02 firmware (download here) before applying one of these tunings.

If the name is not enough, this is intended for the WM1Z. The mod is based on the 3.02 firmware.

As always, feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks @Maxx134 for giving this a test.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #36,816 of 45,723
Kind of deviating from the flow of the thread, according to this Sony document, on page 2 it says that the WM1x can play video, did Sony goof that badly with their own documentation or have I missed something somewhere along the way?

Also, I didn’t realise just how brutally my region (CEW) gets screwed over on power output - first section of page 2 reveals all - no wonder Sony don’t show the output specifications on the U.K. page! Thankfully we all know a way around that! :wink:

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #36,817 of 45,723
Kind of deviating from the flow of the thread, according to this Sony document, on page 2 it says that the WM1x can play video, did Sony goof that badly with their own documentation or have I missed something somewhere along the way?

Well, it has that "MUSICCLIP" folder that shows up, at least when using the J region, and you can also see video references in the default-capability.xml file, that's present at the root of the internal storage/sd card.

1588150023466.png

Will give it a try.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #36,818 of 45,723
Hi
I has tried your wm1a-z1 on my 1A Kmod Ultimate . It's very clean and has more detail , big soundstage but it also has too much bass with me.Sometime i feel mid is faded by bass. The bass is deeper but it's very slow and has more decay. I think it will better if the bass is fast, compact, deep. This is my impresion. Thanks for your work.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #36,819 of 45,723
I has tried your wm1az1 . It's very clean and has more detail , big soundstage but it also has too much bass with me.Sometime i feel mid is faded by bass. The bass is deeper but it's very slow and has more decay. I think it will better if the bass is fast, compact, deep. This is my impresion. Thanks for your work.
Actually it depends on your iem or headphones or if you have any DSP settings. Also the region plays a huge part in the sound signature. My Z5 which is know to be quite bassy is a perfect match for WM1A-z1!on J region with direct sound on. Bass is very deep but never muddies the mix. It’s perfect for me.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #36,820 of 45,723
Actually it depends on your iem or headphones or if you have any DSP settings. Also the region plays a huge part in the sound signature. My Z5 which is know to be quite bassy is a perfect match for WM1A-z1!on J region with direct sound on. Bass is very deep but never muddies the mix. It’s perfect for me.
My 1a on region J and i tested wm1a-z1 with ier-Z1r and fir audio M5. Both of them have a same result. I'll try it with the other region. Thanks for your support

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #36,821 of 45,723

The Walkman doesn't seem to recognize the files as videos, even though they are within the mentioned specifications... They are seen as audio files and they will play as such, without displaying a video.

I thought Music Center may support importing videos to the player, and maybe it would do a conversion or something, required to play on the device, but no luck.

However, it seems that Music Center has the DSEE HX integrated into it:

1588160741541.png

Also, it support direct access to a DAC via WASAPI or ASIO, which is pretty cool!

1588160821570.png

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #36,822 of 45,723
Well, it has that "MUSICCLIP" folder that shows up, at least when using the J region, and you can also see video references in the default-capability.xml file, that's present at the root of the internal storage/sd card.

Will give it a try.

I tried that some weeks ago and posted here and it can play the sound track from some video files but not the actual video. And it only works in region J

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #36,823 of 45,723
My 1a on region J and i tested wm1a-z1 with ier-Z1r and fir audio M5. Both of them have a same result. I'll try it with the other region. Thanks for your support
Just wondering how ier-z1r sounds comparing to M5. All I know is that M5 are similar to 64 audio.

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #36,824 of 45,723
Just wondering how ier-z1r sounds comparing to M5. All I know is that M5 are similar to 64 audio.
I have both and you are right that the M5 is having strong signature with 64 Audio. I have been using Tia Fourte for over 2 years and M5 is having similar signature, but is a bit less bassy and having more refined mid and high. I will describe it as Fourte Plus for my personal preference. On the other hand, Z1R is an amazing IEM with one of the best high, deep bass and prominent sub-bass. Soundstage wise Z1R is having a more holographic presentation but M5 is having higher resolution. In my opinion, both are excellent hybrid IERs for my stock 1Z, modded 1A and Cayin N6ii with E02 sound card.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #36,825 of 45,723
Both Classical and Concerto are aiming for life-like instruments. Classical has more holographic 3D, depth, larger stage. Concerto will focus more on solo instrument piece. More intimate tone, anology and energy.
Vinyl firmware is an attempt for more anolog tone for all type of genre records.
What firmware version is included in Concerto? I see it's a full NW_WM_FW.UPG file unlike the other versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back