SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #36,361 of 45,723
I’ve loaded Autumn+ on my 1Z and will try tonight to see if it can beat Solis

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #36,362 of 45,723

Well, can't promise that, as Solis is more powerful and Autumn+ is tuned in reference to a stock WM1A. But looking forward to your experience!

Also feel free to try the other 4 seasons (link to my post in the signature). Maybe you'll also find something there. :)

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #36,363 of 45,723
For me it is a matter of preference. Solis pushes everything to extreme so there is a wow factor inside with sound unheard before, but it stresses on hardware capability and synergy with gears. On the other hand, the Seasons FWs are going for musicality and smoothness. It can be auditioned over prolonged period without fatigue.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #36,364 of 45,723
Trying mods (in general) is basically a matter of under 1 minute update process, and it's not really adventurous (if by this you mean risky, even a little bit).

Also, reverting the change consists in just flashing back the stock firmware, which can take a bit over a minute if I'm not mistaken.

There are basically more options, which I think it's pretty nice and unique in a way. From the new sound, you then can also adjust using the EQ, for example - one more option.

Modding is anyway just a geeky hobby that has nothing to do with listening to music or using a phone in case of Android phone modding.
I always wonder why the advanced users think they are more intelligent or inventive then the big corporations with 100s of engineers and millinions of R&D funds. The SW config/development decisions are made and reviewed for a reason and if it's not a bug then why try to break it? How can you be sure that without having access to the sources of the firmware there is a way to really improve (not just change) the FW for all possible IEM/headphones/music combinations?

And yes, burn-in makes everything sound better, earth is flat and every source and headphone combination sounds better with 2k$ cable.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #36,365 of 45,723
Modding is anyway just a geeky hobby that has nothing to do with listening to music or using a phone in case of Android phone modding.
I always wonder why the advanced users think they are more intelligent or inventive then the big corporations with 100s of engineers and millinions of R&D funds. The SW config/development decisions are made and reviewed for a reason and if it's not a bug then why try to break it? How can you be sure that without having access to the sources of the firmware there is a way to really improve (not just change) the FW for all possible IEM/headphones/music combinations?

And yes, burn-in makes everything sound better, earth is flat and every source and headphone combination sounds better with 2k$ cable.

Well, I can only say that you can try one of these and see for yourself, while also taking into the account the experiences described by other members on this thread, which they kinda match from experience to experience.

Unless you tried and you heard absolutely no difference (which seems unlikely), I wouldn't have this big of an opinion about it. Just my 2 cents.

Also, maybe you misunderstood me - I'm not trying to break anything, just trying to improve, and on WM1A the Autumn+ experience is pretty much awesome in my opinion.

I have some headphones with stock cables and a stock WM1A which I'm pretry sure it's under the 200 hours necessary for the burn-in, which I don't really care about, so nothing really "special" or something, about me or my gear.

If it sounds good, I enjoy it.

Edit:
How can you be sure that without having access to the sources of the firmware there is a way to really improve (not just change) the FW for all possible IEM/headphones/music combinations?

I didn't claim that it improves the sound signature for all possible combinations you mentioned. It just sounds awesome to me on my current gear and with my music. It may sound good on your gear and music as well, who knows? You can try it or not, it's simple :D

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #36,366 of 45,723
Could you please just fill me in what changes are exectaly done in the FW compared to the original Sony FW on a technical level? is it just standard DSP config changed to reflect some preset?
Not sure I understand these esotheric descriptions, should this apply to any IEM?

WM2020 - Seasons

1. Summer - As the sun shines brightly, the warm and Holographic
soundstage that is insanely wide envelopes you with lush
mids and ultra smooth highs while producing a very refined
and deep bass experience.

2. Autumn - As the leaves fall, the thick and rich mids coupled with
refined treble and super deep bass gives you an enveloping
wide stage of powerful and impactful sound.

3. Winter - As the snow falls, the gentle and warm mids coupled with
silky smooth treble elevate you to reach the deepest depths
of bass and enjoy a sound that plays well with all genres.

4. Spring - When the leaves grow, you get a sense of clean and detailed
resolution that shines through with ease. The highs, mids and
lows blend together in a very balanced yet enjoyable way with a
tinge of warmth.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #36,367 of 45,723
Could you please just fill me in what changes are exectaly done in the FW compared to the original Sony FW on a technical level? is it just standard DSP config changed to reflect some preset?
Not sure I understand these esotheric descriptions, should this apply to any IEM?

For me it sounds like you have some predefined idea about modding in general, and you just try to make everyone believe what you believe, no offence.

I think the descriptions are giving you a pretty nice idea about what you should expect each mod to sound like. As no specific gear is mentioned (like a specific IEM or headphone), it's safe to assume that the described result is expected to apply to any gear you have, more or less, depending on the sound signature of your gear, or course.

I recommend you put aside the predefined beliefs, and try any of these for yourself. If you don't like how it will sound, you can easily switch back to the stock sound signature.

As I was mentioning before, I strongly recommend Autumn+ for a WM1A (it may sound slightly different on a WM1Z or ZX300). :)

Edit: I remembered an analogy that could apply here - how can you say a certain cake, for example, is not good, as long as you did not taste it? In this case, I can assure you that the cake is real, and it's a cake (which we assume it's on the good side of things that you could eat, even if it may not be that tasty for you).

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #36,368 of 45,723
I have nothing against modding :) I just want to understand what exactly I am doing to my gear. Is it just a xml change or is it a different version of official Sony FW downgraded or whatever and why should I exactly hear what is described. Magic?

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #36,370 of 45,723
I have nothing against modding :) I just want to understand what exactly I am doing to my gear. Is it just a xml change or is it a different version of official Sony FW downgraded or whatever and why should I exactly hear what is described. Magic?

No magic involved here. :unicorn:

I previously mentioned that I won't get into details about the technical part - there are other people on this forum that also know about the tuning process, but they didn't want to share any details about it, which is fine, it's their choice. If they would decide to release such details, I may also reconsider my decision.

You'll have to trust me and others who tried that you're not doing anything bad to your device, and the changes can be reverted with a simple flashing of the stock firmware. :)

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #36,372 of 45,723
No magic involved here. :unicorn:

I previously mentioned that I won't get into details about the technical part - there are other people on this forum that also know about the tuning process, but they didn't want to share any details about it, which is fine, it's their choice. If they would decide to release such details, I may also reconsider my decision.

You'll have to trust me and others who tried that you're not doing anything bad to your device, and the changes can be reverted with a simple flashing of the stock firmware. :)
Ok, thanks. Understood.
So much snake oil in the audiophile community and nobody asks "why" and "how" but writes nice descriptions of all the great changes in the sound. Love it.
Enjoy a new modding esotheric cult :D

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #36,373 of 45,723
Ok, thanks. Understood.
So much snake oil in the audiophil community and nobody asks "why" and "how" but writes nice descriptions of all the great changes in the sound. Love it.
Enjoy a new modding esotheric cult :D

It seems you're still trying to impose your preconceptions about these things, without actually trying them yourself. It's entirely up to you if you'd like to try it or not, of course.

However, my advice remains the same: don't have an opinion this big (especially about these mods, not talking about 2k cables) without trying it for yourself first.

This is unless you're intentionally trying to annoy people, of course.

If not, then peace :)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #36,374 of 45,723
All these updates do is change the sound signature based on the information in the xml. The actual firmware running is the original Sony released firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back