SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #34,096 of 45,723
Are you modifying them yourself or there is a goto place ?

Re soldering wires does not create an issue. Smd components might be a bit of a task :)

Will need to read a bit more on the diy modification. Only have got through the firmware so far

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #34,097 of 45,723
what obvious questions ? I may have missed it.

I am not wound up about anything, I am just saying. It is true that we all have different preferences, but also count in experiences. Let’s take Head-if oldest guide line for example, you can not judge a piece of equipment until you hear it.

My WM1A is hardware modified all around, in which I justified selling my SP2000. I also posted a specific and detailed post about WM1A, and what lead me down this road.

You asked us why WM1A stock with mod-firmware doesn’t sound good, then I told you the internal wires is an issues. You have not even swapped it out, and still going on about how bad a stock 1A is. Yes, for 1000 times I repeat, stock 1A is not a high-end player, at least go grab a 1Z or so, if you can’t modify the 1A the way I did, or other places had done.

You know what ? Yes, it bothered me, because SP1000 back in the day was a competition toward WM1Z, and not WM1A, and I keep repeating that the WM1A stock is bad, and it needs works.....and here you keep repeating that the 1A is bad, and even mod-firmware can not help when comparing to stock sp1000....

You like Sony Battery and portability ? Go get a 1Z, the 1Z and 1A is not equal ground, both firmware and hardware wise. And another 1000x times I will repeat, the WM1A is a tier below WM1Z

Then comes from this experiences, the WM1A has the ability to go as far as the WM1Z or better, but needs a lot of works, hardware and firmware wise. It can even outperform SP2000.

I will just leave it here

Got it!

I will order parts and give my WM1A a good modding session...seems like a good project to have during this COVID-19 situation!

Does anyone have an online store in Europe they can recommend to buy the wire from?

Thanks for all the info.

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #34,098 of 45,723
I have a question guys. If I'm using the balanced out on my 1A to the balanced in on my desktop amp, what gain and volume settings should I use? I want to try this to see if it drives my planar headphones better than the 1A alone.

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #34,099 of 45,723
what obvious questions ? I may have missed it.

I am not wound up about anything, I am just saying. It is true that we all have different preferences, but also count in experiences. Let’s take Head-if oldest guide line for example, you can not judge a piece of equipment until you hear it.

My WM1A is hardware modified all around, in which I justified selling my SP2000. I also posted a specific and detailed post about WM1A, and what lead me down this road.

You asked us why WM1A stock with mod-firmware doesn’t sound good, then I told you the internal wires is an issues. You have not even swapped it out, and still going on about how bad a stock 1A is. Yes, for 1000 times I repeat, stock 1A is not a high-end player, at least go grab a 1Z or so, if you can’t modify the 1A the way I did, or other places had done.

You know what ? Yes, it bothered me, because SP1000 back in the day was a competition toward WM1Z, and not WM1A, and I keep repeating that the WM1A stock is bad, and it needs works.....and here you keep repeating that the 1A is bad, and even mod-firmware can not help when comparing to stock sp1000....

You like Sony Battery and portability ? Go get a 1Z, the 1Z and 1A is not equal ground, both firmware and hardware wise. And another 1000x times I will repeat, the WM1A is a tier below WM1Z

Then comes from this experiences, the WM1A has the ability to go as far as the WM1Z or better, but needs a lot of works, hardware and firmware wise. It can even outperform SP2000.

I will just leave it here
Easy man, not everyone is going to mod their hardware, so stock device is what it is for them.
There's great potential, both hardware and firmware wise, for 1A / 1Z. But not everyone is bothered to read through all the pages and exploit the full potentials. Just let them be.

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #34,100 of 45,723
There is no default setting per se.

Start from lower gain and volume on the desktop amp

And increase the volume on your dap and desk amp to achieve the decent sound level and get from there.

By default the dac gives maximum possible output up to 2 vrms for unbalanced.

Than the signal is reduced using the volume control of the amplifier (pre amp built in)

Lower output from dap in your case would be more reasonable

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #34,101 of 45,723
I have a question guys. If I'm using the balanced out on my 1A to the balanced in on my desktop amp, what gain and volume settings should I use? I want to try this to see if it drives my planar headphones better than the 1A alone.
Lowest gain with maxed out volumes. This preserves the lower voltage within the systems while maxing out the dynamic range that your WM1A can potentially do

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #34,104 of 45,723
It sounds like Sony has a very good arcitecture which is worth improving by using better components.

I am thinking between 1A + mods and 1Z :)

Common diy story, but you sre right whatever can be got out of the stock with proper planet or sun is great already :)

The 1Z is a modified 1A under Sony views

Better resistors
Better capacitors for power block and output block
Better Chassis
Better Kimber Kables
Better Firmwares...even though using the same file

That is a guidance and recipe to how to better your WM1A. You can even make WM1A better simply by sticking to the guidances but choose a much higher quality on components

Firmware modification used to be a unicorn, but now we have captured it too. Therefore the potentials of WM1A is “Vast”

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #34,105 of 45,723
Finally it's time to hear the new FWs in all their glory , this baby just landed on my ears and is paired with my Zeus XR

Stock WM1A (J region, Solis T5) > PW 1960s 2w > Zeus XR

Now my Zeus XR is ready to travel to the Sun , damn what a time to be a music lover (with all these toys to play with and all this music to find/discover through Net)

1583931472608.png

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #34,106 of 45,723
Buy it lol dont ask Haha
I got wm1z and zx507 ) ( japan )
fellow montrealer!! nice
sine we dont have sony in mtl anymore id need to order it off amazon. :frowning2:
do you daily your daps on metro and bus ? are they combersome ? and what headphones do you use with them ?

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #34,107 of 45,723
Finally it's time to hear the new FWs in all their glory , this baby just landed on my ears and is paired with my Zeus XR

Stock WM1A (J region, Solis T5) > PW 1960s 2w > Zeus XR

Now my Zeus XR is ready to travel to the Sun , damn what a time to be a music lover (with all these toys to play with and all this music to find/discover through Net)

Now cut that cables and put it inside the WM1A. So inside and outside are both the same :D lol
I am teasing you! Enjoy your music

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #34,108 of 45,723
Now cut that cables and put it inside the WM1A. So inside and outside are both the same :D lol
I am teasing you! Enjoy your music

for now we stay put and behave , upgraditis has been fed and is purring peacefully

maybe later this year , a WM1A mod ?

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #34,110 of 45,723
Regarding the musicclip folder that turns up with region J I have tried to copy various video files in there and at least some wmv and mp4 files are recognized and the player plays the sound track but no video. Some mp4 files are recongnized and show up but will not play and mov and flv files don’t show up at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back