SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #34,111 of 45,723
Regarding the musicclip folder that turns up with region J I have tried to copy various video files in there and at least some wmv and mp4 files are recognized and the player plays the sound track but no video. Some mp4 files are recongnized and show up but will not play and mov and flv files don’t show up at all
You are the first one to venture in this route :D . Thanks for the feedbacks

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #34,112 of 45,723
Now cut that cables and put it inside the WM1A. So inside and outside are both the same :D lol
I am teasing you! Enjoy your music
Yes, that is actually what the original Singapore mod group was doing, in late 2017. I was PM'ing one of the group that started the mods, and they were using PW 1960 2wire inside their WM1Z. I asked where to get the wire, and found out that they did a group buy of a PW 1960 cable, and cut it up to do the mod! Then later they took out the 2wire and replaced it with the PW 1960 4 wire. I did not know enough people in HK who would join a group buy, so gave up on using the PW 1960 for a mod. The Music Sanctuary mods came out of the experiences of this group.

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #34,113 of 45,723
yeah, upgraded cables will not shine it best if there is a bottle neck. It could be internal wires , it could be solder joints, or plugs.

Speaking of Plugs, they wear down and get weakened over times. Brand name cables responsibilities should be more than just selling cables and profit from it hugely. Especially toward removable gears and devices.

They should all include a services to allow swapping out older plugs and sockets for newer plugs. I would understand that swapping female sockets in devices would be more costly, but swapping plugs should not be expensive. They could even restrict it down to “showing original receipts”, but that is what they should offer.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #34,114 of 45,723
yeah, upgraded cables will not shine it best if there is a bottle neck. It could be internal wires , it could be solder joints, or plugs.

Speaking of Plugs, they wear down and get weakened over times. Brand name cables responsibilities should be more than just selling cables and profit from it hugely. Especially toward removable gears and devices.

They should all include a services to allow swapping out older plugs and sockets for newer plugs. I would understand that swapping female sockets in devices would be more costly, but swapping plugs should not be expensive. They could even restrict it down to “showing original receipts”, but that is what they should offer.
I already swapped the plug of my Labkable Gold Titan 3 times from them, swapped twice the MMCX plug, all plugs to the different demands of mine. Eventually they even swapped me with a brand new cable customized to my plug demand (which sounded harsh upon arrival, i have to burn in 200 hours above to calm down the spikes). One of the best customer service out there! Labkable is from Hong Kong just like PWA. World class sound performance and service!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #34,115 of 45,723
Labkable Gold/Silver Titan and PWA 1960s are the two most renowned cable works from Hong Kong China. Both have their legendary strengths and some weaknesses.

They are truly expensive which contains high premium in marketing and superficial things and such. But the service or the sound itself are definitely top notch!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #34,116 of 45,723
I already swapped the plug of my Labkable Gold Titan 3 times from them, swapped twice the MMCX plug, all plugs to the different demands of mine. Eventually they even swapped me with a brand new cable customized to my plug demand (which sounded harsh upon receive, i have to burn in 200 hours above to calm the spikes). One of the best customer service out there! Labkable is from Hong Kong just like PWA.
Lovely! I am glad LabKable is doing that. It is good to have this to everybody attentions

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #34,117 of 45,723
fellow montrealer!! nice
sine we dont have sony in mtl anymore id need to order it off amazon. :frowning2:
do you daily your daps on metro and bus ? are they combersome ? and what headphones do you use with them ?

Hi there canadian friend hehe )

My 1z was bought used from headfi and my zx507 on ebay from japan.

I use tia trio and now added a tia fourte black )

Umm 1z is a heavy brick if you carry that around it can be to heavy and used as a self defense weapon haha.

Zx507 is so light and probably what I would rec more if u do commute... it sounds fantastic as well!

I really like the dsee hx on zx507 it improves the sound of that little guy. Of course if you need ultimate sound quality go for 1z!

I am a truck driver I am never in canada. Most of my time is in united states I drive long distances. So yea I do listen to my music while I drive )
I got long days and lots of fun time with 1z and tia trio for now )

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #34,118 of 45,723
Labkable Gold/Silver Titan and PWA 1960s are the two most renowned cable works from Hong Kong China. Both have their legendary strengths and some weaknesses.

They are truly expensive which contains high premium in marketing and superficial things and such. But nothing to complain about their service or the sound itself.

Hope 1 day I can hear labkables!

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #34,119 of 45,723
I've installed Mars - (T2 because why not start on a middle ground) and tested it however very briefly. I must say that out of every other firmware this is most likely to be my favourite! It's not flat or most accurate by any means but I think it's most similar to original WM1A tuning. Bass is simply amazing. It hits hard, it's deep, it's well controlled but you can already say that it is a phat bass like it's coming from huge woofer. Shapes that it creates are thick and saturated. Highs are sparkly, a little bit edgy but not yet sharp. Because of that it only adds to the excitiment. It's clearer than stock firmware and has bigger and better layered soundstage.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #34,120 of 45,723
I'm currently interested in trading my modded 1a for a stock 1z , feel free to negotiate if you don't want to go through this whole modding process.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #34,121 of 45,723
Here’s an interesting fact. These firmwares definitely do change the Bluetooth audio sound quality as well. At first I thought that it didn’t. But after playing around with the firmwares and listening to it on the same Sony WF-1000XM3 wireless buds, the sound changes were very evident. Especially in the heavier bass firmwares like Mars and LPGT. And when I went back to stock, the sound changed as well. This is spectacular as I never thought that firmware mods could change Bluetooth audio as well. +1 guys!

Mar 11, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #34,122 of 45,723
Here’s an interesting fact. These firmwares definitely do change the Bluetooth audio sound quality as well. At first I thought that it didn’t. But after playing around with the firmwares and listening to it on the same Sony WF-1000XM3 wireless buds, the sound changes were very evident. Especially in the heavier bass firmwares like Mars and LPGT. And when I went back to stock, the sound changed as well. This is spectacular as I never thought that firmware mods could change Bluetooth audio as well. +1 guys!

I confirm that as I am using bluetooth Ldac and also usb dac features and it does change.

The fw changes the 1z 1a behavior globally! On all scales...

Mar 11, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #34,123 of 45,723
If my guessing is right, BT sound change should change at around half the strength of balanced output with cables, meaning the change is not as substantial. Or is BT output changing the same magnitude as cable output?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #34,125 of 45,723
I already swapped the plug of my Labkable Gold Titan 3 times from them, swapped twice the MMCX plug, all plugs to the different demands of mine. Eventually they even swapped me with a brand new cable customized to my plug demand (which sounded harsh upon receive, i have to burn in 200 hours above to calm the spikes). One of the best customer service out there! Labkable is from Hong Kong just like PWA.

Han Sound MMCX #1.jpg
Han Sound MMCX #2.jpg

Han Sound has these in-house MMCX connectors for the Sony IEMs... I checking with MS to source these for me to upgrade my 1960s with them + the Furutech carbon 4.4 plugs. exciting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back