SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #34,066 of 45,723
The harshness and distortion is because of the OFC unshielded connectors inside the player.
Hate to say it, but to get the most out of this player, those wires need to be replaced.
For me Neotech Solid OCC copper 20 gauge in Teflon works the best.
Keeps the house Sony Walkman sound, but improves everything.
Resolution, stage width and depth, timbre. separation, treble, bass, all get a substantial upgrade.

Maybe thats why pw1960 is so good it got isolation and 2 positive conductor and 2 negative? Plus unknown connector plated gold?
I guess its lits or maybe cryo occ as it does sound like the best cable among all coppers

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #34,067 of 45,723
A description of OCC, for those interested in what makes OCC different. There is quite a difference in how OCC is made. OCC wire looks similar to other wires on the surface, but there is a lot of different production methodologies that it took to make it's internal structure quite different from other manufacturing methods.

Commercial wire is drawn through a cold die (to get the desired size of wire) at high speed. This is to maximize production, and reduce cost.
The OCC process uses a heated die, and the wire is drawn at slower speeds, to create long/single grain boundaries in the metal.

In 1986 the Ohno Continuous Casting (OCC) Process was developed by professor Ohno of the Chiba Institute of Technology in Japan.

Interesting description and pictures below:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norse-Norne-Audio-Feedback

OCC_litz_ohno_continuous_cast01.gif
Why OCC?
Used throughout the high end audio industry in most flagship cable products, occ provides the superior quality copper and silver possible today.
OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast) is the name given to the casting process developed to help defeat annealing issues and virtually eliminate all grain boundaries in copper or silver with a unique patented process. The OCC casting method uses specialized heated moulds in order to draw a single crystal up to 125 meters in length. With only a single crystal in very long lengths, there is an unimpeded free path for the best possible signal transfer. Along with this superior single long crystal structure, OCC provides copper and silver with the least possible oxides and other impurities.
In high contrast to OCC, there are other lower grade coppers such as OFC with a multitude of grain boundaries and other impurities. OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) has around 400 crystals per foot and despite its name has an oxygen content of about 10 ppm. Having less oxygen content and less overall impurities compared OFC. OFC has a plethora of grain boundaries per foot that the signal must route around and pass.​
occ_litz_cable
The question ultimately comes down to the following: Would you rather have your signal flow in a path with many cracks, bumps and obstacles in the way (OFC) or flow along a completely unimpeded free path with the lowest possible impurities (OCC). From our view the choice is simple, and the bottom line is most top cable designs utilize OCC as it gives the absolute purest base platform to get that much closer to true absolute transparency.
Cryo OCC: The purest copper and silver on planet Earth.
Litz: The top design for eliminating skin and proximity effect
Litz: The strongest and most durable conductor design
Litz: The top design for eliminating any degradation from oxidation

Cryo OCC + Fine Stranded Complex Litz
The most dominant and sonically the most transparent cable.
Contact info@NORNEAUDIO.com for pricing and ordering information.​

Thanks amazing information now I know what is lits and cryo )
You think pw1960 could be a cryo occ?

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #34,068 of 45,723
PW Audio 1960’s Flagship cable

The 1960’s cable is a special project developed by Peter Wong, following 6 years of experience with building high performance cables. Peter Wong’s intention was seeking a cable as colorless as possible, yet soothing like the music from the 60’s. Years of trial and error resulted in the 1960’s cable. Its secret lies in the use of high purity copper wires, while using different insulation materials for the signal and ground conductors. The result is a smooth, detailed, yet refined sound.

PW Audio 1960’s cable (2-wire/4-wire)
Jacket Material: Teflon for the positive conductors, and PVC for negative conductors
Conductor Material: OCC Copper Litz
Conductor Gauge: 26 Awg
Conductors: 4 (2 wires with 4 conductors) / 8 (4 wires with 8 conductors)
Price: $999 / $1925

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #34,070 of 45,723
Let’s at least get back to the Walkman WM1A/Z and keep thread on topic

Well come on lol he spent 6 years researching and offered us the 1960 so he just bluffing?

Dang and I was thinking I hot the best cable in tha world haha

Ok next one is pw1960 made with cryo occ please!

Mar 10, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #34,071 of 45,723
Looks like you guys are still stuck on the sun lol, will there be any trips to Saturn or even Neptune? I like Holst album, but keep wondering what the heck is over there on Neptune

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #34,073 of 45,723
Looks like you guys are still stuck on the sun lol, will there be any trips to Saturn or even Neptune? I like Holst album, but keep wondering what the heck is over there on Neptune
Whitigir and I are quite overwhelmed by Solis, we cannot improve it unless striding into T6 or above. We can't create any T1 or T2 level signatures without downgrading the sound quality from Solis neither.
So for now i guess this is it

Mar 11, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #34,074 of 45,723
Whitigir and I are quite overwhelmed by Solis, we cannot improve it unless striding into T6 or above. We can't create any T1 or T2 level signatures without downgrading the sound quality from Solis neither.
So for now i guess this is it

Can you guys share what exactly are you guys fine tuning? Is it voltage supply to chips? To my ears Solis sounds like dynamic normaliser is enabled by default.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #34,077 of 45,723
You might be a tier or two too high for your setup?
to be fair he is not asking if it's good or not...he is just asking for the process behind the tuning. I agree with him...It sounds like there's limiting/compression going on.

Regardless, it doesn't depend on tier in this case: there's only one tier with Solis.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #34,078 of 45,723
to be fair he is not asking if it's good or not...he is just asking for the process behind the tuning. I agree with him...It sounds like there's limiting/compression going on.

Regardless, it doesn't depend on tier in this case: there's only one tier with Solis.

Well it does. Tier is therefore the limiting factor for Solis. Unfortunately it is only Tier 5 which will put quite a demand on your setup+quality of music files.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #34,079 of 45,723
Can you guys share what exactly are you guys fine tuning? Is it voltage supply to chips? To my ears Solis sounds like dynamic normaliser is enabled by default.
No nothing related to dynamic normaliser at all.
I can't disclose because if i do so, Sony will definitely fix it in the coming updates.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #34,080 of 45,723

If u feel like there's compression going on, u definitely close to the limit of your hardware. Try some Tiers lower / not Solis.
On very capable setups Solis should sound very effortless, also offering the highest dynamic possible. Due to the increase of dynamic and resolution, there will be a sense of gain pushing higher, but that has nothing to do with compression.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back