SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #34,051 of 45,723
What region should i use to set my 1Z to stock . the code on the box is CEW . I changed to region J and not sure which one to use , as i forgot to check before i changed . On the side of the player it's CE .
There is no such thing CEW for region

check out my signatures

follow the picture to identify

follow the posted details for according region after identification

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #34,052 of 45,723
Another evening “rocking” Solis. Love it.

7437548C-38CC-46A9-943E-D0FC089C51C6.jpeg

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #34,053 of 45,723
Mar 10, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #34,055 of 45,723
It is not about that lol...but I have not heard PW1960

Going with the disclosures of the technical details, the Pw1960 is multi-strained Litz type OCC copper. This Copper is the top grade Copper, and Litz type has it pros and cons. There is no doubt of how copper of this Grade can perform

A description of OCC, for those interested in what makes OCC different. There is quite a difference in how OCC is made. OCC wire looks similar to other wires on the surface, but there is a lot of different production methodologies that it took to make it's internal structure quite different from other manufacturing methods.

Commercial wire is drawn through a cold die (to get the desired size of wire) at high speed. This is to maximize production, and reduce cost.
The OCC process uses a heated die, and the wire is drawn at slower speeds, to create long/single grain boundaries in the metal.

In 1986 the Ohno Continuous Casting (OCC) Process was developed by professor Ohno of the Chiba Institute of Technology in Japan.

Interesting description and pictures below:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norse-Norne-Audio-Feedback

OCC_litz_ohno_continuous_cast01.gif

Why OCC?
Used throughout the high end audio industry in most flagship cable products, occ provides the superior quality copper and silver possible today.
OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast) is the name given to the casting process developed to help defeat annealing issues and virtually eliminate all grain boundaries in copper or silver with a unique patented process. The OCC casting method uses specialized heated moulds in order to draw a single crystal up to 125 meters in length. With only a single crystal in very long lengths, there is an unimpeded free path for the best possible signal transfer. Along with this superior single long crystal structure, OCC provides copper and silver with the least possible oxides and other impurities.
In high contrast to OCC, there are other lower grade coppers such as OFC with a multitude of grain boundaries and other impurities. OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) has around 400 crystals per foot and despite its name has an oxygen content of about 10 ppm. Having less oxygen content and less overall impurities compared OFC. OFC has a plethora of grain boundaries per foot that the signal must route around and pass.​
occ_litz_cable
The question ultimately comes down to the following: Would you rather have your signal flow in a path with many cracks, bumps and obstacles in the way (OFC) or flow along a completely unimpeded free path with the lowest possible impurities (OCC). From our view the choice is simple, and the bottom line is most top cable designs utilize OCC as it gives the absolute purest base platform to get that much closer to true absolute transparency.
Cryo OCC: The purest copper and silver on planet Earth.
Litz: The top design for eliminating skin and proximity effect
Litz: The strongest and most durable conductor design
Litz: The top design for eliminating any degradation from oxidation

Cryo OCC + Fine Stranded Complex Litz
The most dominant and sonically the most transparent cable.
Contact info@NORNEAUDIO.com for pricing and ordering information.​

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #34,057 of 45,723
Hello!

So I owned my WM1A for a week now , as a backup to my A&K SP1000, which hi love.

while I really dig its size, weight, system and battery life, I definitely like the WM1A less when it comes to overall sound...feels a bit harsher and it seems to have less weight in the sound material. I love the SP1000 so much...
I have tried J with Jupiter3 and Solis as well, but both felt harsh in the mids and highs, even more so than the stock firmware, to my ears.

Also Solis had a weird distortion in the mids that made it hard for me to raise the volume and I always felt like I needed to lower it (opposite of how I use the SP1000...it's pleasure to bring the volume up occasionally). I am very sensitive to the "bump" around 180hz which I can't stand...

So my question is, which region and firmware would you recommend for me to try in order to obtain something similar to the SP1000 ? I know...I have that already, but I really like that timbre and would like a variation of it in smaller, lighter format with longer battery and less heat :)

Oh and I am using CA Solaris IEMs with Type E tips.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Love this thread and thank you @Whitigir and @Morbideath for all your work!
The harshness and distortion is because of the OFC unshielded connectors inside the player.
Hate to say it, but to get the most out of this player, those wires need to be replaced.
For me Neotech Solid OCC copper 20 gauge in Teflon works the best.
Keeps the house Sony Walkman sound, but improves everything.
Resolution, stage width and depth, timbre. separation, treble, bass, all get a substantial upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #34,058 of 45,723
Can someone help me out please? Sony WM1A
I have a 512gb micro sd card - Formatted it inside the player but after updating database it never updates any of the flles from it :/

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #34,059 of 45,723
Can someone help me out please? Sony WM1A
I have a 512gb micro sd card - Formatted it inside the player but after updating database it never updates any of the flles from it :/

Have you put your files in the Music folder ?

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #34,060 of 45,723
Have you put your files in the Music folder ?

I have files on the players storage - BUT the files on the SD card are not being updated - The player can see the card but will not update to display them
I re-formated the card in the player first!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #34,062 of 45,723
What he meant is that your music have to be in the folder with the name “Music”
AHAAAA - bloody Sony - they do not say anywhere that formatting the card ADDS a folder called 'MUSIC' AND that you have to then transfer the audio TO THAT folder !
Jeezz

Thanks buddy - fingers crossed it works now - Had the player for 2 days and have yet to play a Hi Res file o_0 :D

Thanks for the help

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #34,063 of 45,723
AHAAAA - bloody Sony - they do not say anywhere that formatting the card ADDS a folder called 'MUSIC' AND that you have to then transfer the audio TO THAT folder !
Jeezz

Thanks buddy - fingers crossed it works now - Had the player for 2 days and have yet to play a Hi Res file o_0 :D

Thanks for the help

From the manual :wink:

AC0ACCB8-A2E1-43F4-9DE4-DA0DB375100E.jpeg

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #34,064 of 45,723
From the manual :wink:

Listen...when you get to my age . . .:D
I did see that briefly but I thought it was to do with their 'Music centre' which i did not want to fannyarse around with
All good now..Ahhhhhh Billie Holiday . . .

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #34,065 of 45,723
I would totally recommend Norne Audio :wink: toss that with Mundorf Solder or Oyaide SS-47 and Furutech. It is a killer cables for the values

+1

norne‘s cables sound truly amazing with very reasonable prices unlike most cable manufacturers. sorry for oot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back