SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #34,021 of 45,723
Hello!

So I owned my WM1A for a week now , as a backup to my A&K SP1000, which hi love.

while I really dig its size, weight, system and battery life, I definitely like the WM1A less when it comes to overall sound...feels a bit harsher and it seems to have less weight in the sound material. I love the SP1000 so much...
I have tried J with Jupiter3 and Solis as well, but both felt harsh in the mids and highs, even more so than the stock firmware, to my ears.

Also Solis had a weird distortion in the mids that made it hard for me to raise the volume and I always felt like I needed to lower it (opposite of how I use the SP1000...it's pleasure to bring the volume up occasionally). I am very sensitive to the "bump" around 180hz which I can't stand...

So my question is, which region and firmware would you recommend for me to try in order to obtain something similar to the SP1000 ? I know...I have that already, but I really like that timbre and would like a variation of it in smaller, lighter format with longer battery and less heat :)

Oh and I am using CA Solaris IEMs with Type E tips.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Love this thread and thank you @Whitigir and @Morbideath for all your work!

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #34,022 of 45,723
Hello!

So I owned my WM1A for a week now , as a backup to my A&K SP1000, which hi love.

while I really dig its size, weight, system and battery life, I definitely like the WM1A less when it comes to overall sound...feels a bit harsher and it seems to have less weight in the sound material. I love the SP1000 so much...
I have tried J with Jupiter3 and Solis as well, but both felt harsh in the mids and highs, even more so than the stock firmware, to my ears.

Also Solis had a weird distortion in the mids that made it hard for me to raise the volume and I always felt like I needed to lower it (opposite of how I use the SP1000...it's pleasure to bring the volume up occasionally). I am very sensitive to the "bump" around 180hz which I can't stand...

So my question is, which region and firmware would you recommend for me to try in order to obtain something similar to the SP1000 ? I know...I have that already, but I really like that timbre and would like a variation of it in smaller, lighter format with longer battery and less heat :)

How many hours is your 1a?
Need minimum 200hours to reach its full sound quality on each jack. Then requalify the sq test.

With solarice J+solis should be very good !

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #34,023 of 45,723
CEV region seems to go very well together with Solis on 1Z/EX1000.

Very dynamic, even a bit more than J:)

Hmm haven't tried cev as I am very worried about volume cap lol. Walking around any European region by a mile haha

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #34,026 of 45,723
J + Solis with solaris was very harsh to my ears. I couldn't get along with it!

Is that regular solaris or se.

If its the regular then that is your problem that regular version is a real downgrade not even as good as the se.
I really disliked it.
Its harsh and treble zingy peaky bad

Se was very good but my trio was still on a higher lvl

Try U + solis

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #34,027 of 45,723
Is that regular solaris or se.

If its the regular then that is your problem that regular version is a real downgrade not even as good as the se.
I really disliked it.
Its harsh and treble zingy peaky bad

Se was very good but my trio was still on a higher lvl

Try U + solis

I have both SE and original.
I wouldn't call the original harsh at all, so it might be your problem more than mine.
In fact while I like the SE, I prefer the sound of the original to it, especially in the mids.

Once again I am not asking for criticism on headphones, but simply what firmware combination to try.
Thanks!

Mar 10, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #34,029 of 45,723
You have a stock 1a? try other firmwares in tier 1 or 2 instead. They are recommended over t3 or t5. As it was mentioned before, a stock unit will not perform well on t3 or above, they could even sound worse than other tiers due to your hardware.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #34,030 of 45,723
I wouldn't call the original harsh at all, so it might be your problem more than mine.
In fact while I like the SE, I prefer the sound of the original to it, especially in the mids.

Once again I am not asking for criticism on headphones, but simply what firmware combination to try.
Thanks!

I really like the Solaris SE + 4.4mm super litz cable / Solis / J-region / WM1Z combination, but I haven’t tried a WM1A so it could be a completely different experience.

Have you tried the Mars fw? It’s a little V shaped but I found it paired nicely with Solaris SE. Maybe try T1 first and then go up from there?

I think it’s difficult to recommend anything as there’s so many variables. It all comes down to synergy of all your gear along the chain, and personal preference/music taste. Part of the fun is trying out the different fw and finding what works for you :)

Mar 10, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #34,031 of 45,723

Thanks!
I also have both Solaris models and found that with Solis you need to cable roll to find what matches best.

WM1A Stock - J - Solis - Solaris - Effect Eros II+ 8 wire Balanced
WM1Z Stock - J - Solis - Solaris SE - DHC Clone Silver

They funny thing is previously using the Effect Eros II+ 8 wire Balanced with the Solaris and 1Z was a no go. Mids were so recessed I hated the pairing and was thinking of selling the cable. Now that cable with the 1A - J - Solis is magical.

In either case I find I need to turn the volume down since Solis provides much more detail. Otherwise the highs can get harsh.

So these new firmwares requires one to rethink how and what they use to listen.

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #34,033 of 45,723
Hello!

I've never heard SP1000 but Astells in general have a little laid back feeling, with softer attack. That was why I sold AK300 shortly after buying. It felt great other than it was playing kinda for himself and i felt detached from the music. AK380 was the same only with better technicalities. Newer SP2000 is better in that regard, it's more engaging but still on the softer side. Airy, very refined, smooth but not what you call exciting. The only other dap with similar, softer manner that I've heard is Shanling M5S but obviously it's a huge step down.

WM1A is more in your face, more engaging, sparkly, bolder and exciting on stock firmwares. On Solis its even more intense by quite a margin.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #34,034 of 45,723
It has over 500 hours.
That Harshness is your OFC internal wires doing. I don’t mind repeating this.
When that is out of the way, check your cables, your plugs...etc

Also, just like what @gearofwar mentioned....the reason why I categorized into Tier is for this purposes

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #34,035 of 45,723
That Harshness is your OFC internal wires doing. I don’t mind repeating this.
When that is out of the way, check your cables, your plugs...etc

Sometimes I feel kimber kable in 1z does to translate some harshness but its not as bad...

K mod is plan for future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back