SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #34,008 of 45,723
My take using WM1A, Australian version:

Solis: brings gives the missing dynamic that IER-Z1R is in need of and gives too much of a good thing with FW10000 paired with Dita Olso cable. Solis with stock WM1A reminds me of the K-Mod version of WM1A. Well recorded albums shine, doesn't matter what I use.

Venus: The Sss sounds are less pronounced, the bass hits less harder, but more rounder, with more body. If you listen to warm vocal, you will love this. Perhaps what you loss is the impact which leads to sense of loosing detail. This reminds me a lot like stock 3.02 firmware, a very safe tuning.

Mars: I place Mars between Solis and Venus. It has more treble detail, but maintains Venus warmth. Mars has a more 3-D soundstage compared to Venus. I wold say the Mars soundstage seems larger compared to Solis, due to Solis more aggressive tonality which focus more on dynamic and so called PRaT.

Jupiter: Jupiter is more polite version of Solis, same detail level, but less dynamic.

edit: perhaps the most obvious change across all fw mod is that it feels like dynamic normalization is auto enabled by default.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #34,010 of 45,723
Mar 10, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #34,012 of 45,723
I'm installing more and more of these firmwares and take my time to evaluate however I see that I have very similar experiences to @audionewbi .

Solis is a bit too much with neutral and detailed headphones and it's amazing with warmer and darker ones. Everything is cranked up to eleven.

Jupiter is a great allrounder with good balance but is generally leaning towards more flat studio like presentation. It's calmer and more forgiving than Solis but it's also not as mind blowing. Stock WM1A firmwares are not as clear, not as detailed, with smaller soundstage but they tend to have more colored presentation, weightier with more omph (at least 2.0 and 3.01 are like that)

Venus is all about the female vocals. They are simply electrifying but everything else seems only ok. Other elements take a back seat so that vocals can shine.

Next in line is Mars to check :wink:

Mar 10, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #34,013 of 45,723
Mar 10, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #34,015 of 45,723
Shhh! Are you using tiger eyes nowadays too ? Leave the picture alone, the guy needs his relaxation

Hahaha hey couldnt let that one threw my eyes were like WHAATTT did I see right ????

:astonished:

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #34,016 of 45,723
Fiio dac/amp over 1a hmmm
Yeah. I use the Walkman as a direct source to the FiiO K5 Pro DAC. Sounds incredible for desktop listening.

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #34,017 of 45,723
Hi guys has been missing this thread ever since headfi changed the way the email notify you of new posts. Have been reading 100+ pages these few days.

1st will like to thank @Whitigir and @Morbideath for their efforts and kindness to share these incredible works freely to everyone here.

Have been trying J+J1AU, J+J2AU, J+J3AU & J+M2AU and J3 each for at least 1 day and J3 is my favorite. I don't know why but J3 kinda remind of stock 1Z. Wanted to try Solis but thought to enjoy a few more days of J3. J3 is good but kind of fatiguing than the others I tried.

PS: these FWs are so good that I would be willing to pay for the SQ upgrade. @Morbideath , @Whitigir & @hshock76 thank you again with all my heart.

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #34,018 of 45,723
Hi guys has been missing this thread ever since headfi changed the way the email notify you of new posts. Have been reading 100+ pages these few days.

1st will like to thank @Whitigir and @Morbideath for their efforts and kindness to share these incredible works freely to everyone here.

Have been trying J+J1AU, J+J2AU, J+J3AU & J+M2AU and J3 each for at least 1 day and J3 is my favorite. I don't know why but J3 kinda remind of stock 1Z. Wanted to try Solis but thought to enjoy a few more days of J3. J3 is good but kind of fatiguing than the others I tried.

PS: these FWs are so good that I would be willing to pay for the SQ upgrade. @Morbideath , @Whitigir & @hshock76 thank you again with all my heart.

Try region U + j3zu that softens the treble ! And still have the goodness of j3zu )

Then you can always go to J + solist5

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #34,019 of 45,723
Anyone else having problems with USB DAC mode with custom FW and changed region?

I have stock US 1A which I changed to J region and Solis FW.

With Mac OS, turn on DAC mode causes "cannot communicate" error, 1A frozen, then automatically restarts.

This happened twice, then I connected 1A to Parallels VM for Windows OS to verify region, while that connection was open I turned on DAC and disconnected from Windows, DAC seems to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back