SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #33,826 of 45,723
Yeah, I’d suggest trying the J region again with Solis if you feel it’s a little lacking in the bass department.

Yeah it’s a bit of a hassle to change it back to J, since I don’t have a Windows based computer. That’s ok, I can always stay with U1.02, in the meantime still evaluating Solis. All in all, Solis is the best mod from Whitigir so far!

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #33,827 of 45,723
I think your sound preferences are exactly mine based on the interaction we have had this far. I’d really really love to have this materialize. I love the current Solis but like you wish it had a tad more deeper bass and slightly tamer treble. Could this be a reality for me? Pretty, pretty please? I’ll do anything for that! @Whitigir
I had done all I could on Solis. Remember, your hardware limitations will exist. Even Music Sanctuary is a Tier 3 hardware in complexity VS a Tier 4. The only place I have seen a Tier 4 hardware is from Romni Audio. However, I could confirm that MS top mod is still able to squeeze the very performances out of Solis performances. On top of these Tier in complexity, the different components also has a different characteristics

For example, it doesn’t matter how much I can cook, if you are using an OFC cables, then it can never sound like using a Pure Silver cables

In high-end Audio, every little bit matter, and everything will effect the sound quality.
I could careless about people being skeptical, they could be as skeptical as that firmware doesn’t effect the sound signatures and performances

So then, Preferences and Synergies ! The more limitations your hardware is, the more trade offs you will have to accept. Chose your best suited flavor as one of these release :)

I will leave this Quote here. You will also see me repeating about hardware modifications. I am not trying to sell you anything, and I gain absolutely nothing out of these recommendations. I am just crazily enthusiastic about Sound performances, and that you should have known it by now

Ok First I would like to suggest that folks be less trigger happy at changing FWs in such short time.... Take at least half a day or even one day to test each one out... Its too easy to form a good or bad impression on first listen or in a short session. Our brains and ears actually take time to adjust... some take longer and some adjust fast. I just experienced something similar during dinner... auditioned my friend's U12T and marveled at the huge sound stage... switched back to the Z1R and felt the sound stage collapsed immediately.. I was even asking myself whether this was the Z1R I loved dearly. However, now back home and listening to the Z1R, the magic is back. I def prefer the vocals on the Sony vs the 64 audio which I found a tad too bright for me.

When I helped Beta Test the FWs; I too like Jupiter/Musical alot.. then came Saturn and then Solis. I gave each a fair chance and the more I listened the more I found out about the characteristics of each FW. Till date Solis is my fav on the K Mod player. Both @Whitigir & @Morbideath went to great lengths to conjure each of these codes; we on the other hand have it much easier... just DL, install and listen. so let's give each a good listen and chose the one most suitable for you.

Next, let's talk abit about mods. I'm was able to do A/B on each code with my stock and K-Mod Ultimate+ 1Z... The jump in performance from stock to modded for all the FWs is pretty significant. The main improvements are resolution, stage (width+depth), layering and imaging. The realism of the vocals.... it's a totally different world. Again I do not want to make it seem like I'm selling everyone the idea of modding your player.... but for those who wants to get the most of the codes and the player and be in a different listening realm, physical mods are the only way to go. As I have I mentioned several times, I have auditioned many TOTL players and even the DMP-Z1 several times; I can tell you nothing comes close to what I'm experiencing on the modded 1Z+Solis+Z1R; even the DMP (Stock). I seriously dun think any new TOTL player that will be released in the next 1-2 yrs will be able to displace what I have... prob not even the 1Z replacement. The feeling of knowing that I already have the HW+FW that fits my needs and 100% endgame is truly great.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #33,828 of 45,723
I had done all I could on Solis. Remember, your hardware limitations will exist. Even Music Sanctuary is a Tier 3 hardware in complexity VS a Tier 4. The only place I have seen a Tier 4 hardware is from Romni Audio.

What is Romni Audio? Any website?

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #33,830 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/whitigir.378966/

Behind the scenes we are convinced Solis sounds as close to the TA with firmware 1.03 as anything. So it’s a funny coincidence that you sold your TA before updating to 1.03? Also simply what would be the odds of this being true? If you ever get to a show or meet, I’m thinking you’ll smile to hear an updated TA. It’s the personality of the imaging, the midrange spacing and politeness in the treble that’s signature Sony.

Also in Solis U region the bass is pretty much now where it is with the TA. As you’ll be surprised; the TA is not as muddy as it was on early firmware. Added to that now with the TA it has that kind-of tight bound upper midrange treble area that seems to help add to the perception of expanded out basic midrange tone soundstage? I’d say this is a coincidence or your going by some guide?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #33,831 of 45,723

Behind the scenes we are convinced Solis sounds as close to the TA with firmware 1.03 as anything. So it’s a funny coincidence that you sold your TA before updating to 1.03? Also simply what would be the odds of this being true? If you ever get to a show or meet, I’m thinking you’ll smile to hear an updated TA. It’s the personality of the imaging, the midrange spacing and politeness in the treble that’s signature Sony.

Also in Solis U region the bass is pretty much now where it is with the TA. As you’ll be surprised; the TA is not as muddy as it was on early firmware. Added to that now with the TA it has that kind-of tight bound upper midrange treble area that seems to help add to the perception of expanded out basic midrange tone soundstage? I’d say this is a coincidence or your going by some guide?

The only guidance I have is by my experiences and enthusiasm.

Every mountain has only 1 Top.....just only different routes taken and different views.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #33,832 of 45,723
The only guidance I have is by my experiences and enthusiasm

Every mountain has only 1 Top.....just only different routes taken and different views.

I forgot to mention it’s only the TA sound with the 1Z.

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #33,833 of 45,723

Yeah, Solis sounds very similar to the TA.

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #33,834 of 45,723
You guys are either crazy to think that a small Walkman is closing the gap with a dedicated Desktop devices, or the Walkman is reaching “god tier” for a portable

One thing for sure is that “portable DMP sound performances” is the only goals that I have had in my mind all along.

If you know me long enough, I have disappeared from this very thread for a while. I gave up on Walkman. Then I was into Ibasso, and I brought people the “EX” package :wink:..... I thought I would stop there.

But!!!! I was so stunned by DMP Z1, and I was constantly haunted by it. It has the uniqueness of Timbres Density and Sony house sound unmistakably. Then Walkman has an unbeatable battery. Both of these aspects won me over enough that I sold SP2K and keep my 1A. DMP Z1 is just not Pocketable

I did a lot of work to hardware modified my 1A, but it could never get close enough to DMP Z1. I knew then it had something todo with “Firmware”. Luckily, and this is also coincidentally, @Morbideath has an impeccable timing wise to have brought all this into my attentions. I still don’t understand how ? he could have such a timing wise ?

But you know what ? Speaking strictly performances wise. I am super duper happy that my one goal has been achieved. With my Walkman and IER Z1R, I do have a portable DMP Z1. It also doesn’t stop there...Solis also improve much further on DMP Z1...so much that DMP Z1 just have to also have it

in conclusion, without @Morbideath perfect timing, and DMP Z1 to started irritating my inner beast....I would still be absent from here :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #33,836 of 45,723
The TA still beats the 1Z with Solis, but the gap has definitely shortened. And the general signature is very similar :)
I will repeat it again :wink: Give your Walkman a Hardware upgrades, then revisits this battle. You would be surprised by this little player.

There is a reason why Solis was found on Walkman first, but then found it ways to DMP Z1 :D

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #33,839 of 45,723
@Morbideath has an impeccable timing wise to have brought all this into my attentions. I still don’t understand how ? he could have such a timing wise ?
in conclusion, without @Morbideath perfect timing, and DMP Z1 to started irritating my inner beast....I would still be absent from here :wink:
Long story short about timing:
1. I lurked in this threads for ages, when i saw your 1A mod i thought the time for sharing has riped.
2. Coincidentally, I was the founder of an investment company, i named it Timewise Capital

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back