SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #33,796 of 45,723

Solis theme

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #33,797 of 45,723
Mar 7, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #33,798 of 45,723
Highlighted :wink: . Perhap a member of my beta team can explain better @hshock76 whose devices including a K-1Z and a Stock 1Z.

Anyways, personal preferences is an important factors too!!! hence there is a flavor for everyone

Ok First I would like to suggest that folks be less trigger happy at changing FWs in such short time.... Take at least half a day or even one day to test each one out... Its too easy to form a good or bad impression on first listen or in a short session. Our brains and ears actually take time to adjust... some take longer and some adjust fast. I just experienced something similar during dinner... auditioned my friend's U12T and marveled at the huge sound stage... switched back to the Z1R and felt the sound stage collapsed immediately.. I was even asking myself whether this was the Z1R I loved dearly. However, now back home and listening to the Z1R, the magic is back. I def prefer the vocals on the Sony vs the 64 audio which I found a tad too bright for me.

When I helped Beta Test the FWs; I too like Jupiter/Musical alot.. then came Saturn and then Solis. I gave each a fair chance and the more I listened the more I found out about the characteristics of each FW. Till date Solis is my fav on the K Mod player. Both @Whitigir & @Morbideath went to great lengths to conjure each of these codes; we on the other hand have it much easier... just DL, install and listen. so let's give each a good listen and chose the one most suitable for you.

Next, let's talk abit about mods. I'm was able to do A/B on each code with my stock and K-Mod Ultimate+ 1Z... The jump in performance from stock to modded for all the FWs is pretty significant. The main improvements are resolution, stage (width+depth), layering and imaging. The realism of the vocals.... it's a totally different world. Again I do not want to make it seem like I'm selling everyone the idea of modding your player.... but for those who wants to get the most of the codes and the player and be in a different listening realm, physical mods are the only way to go. As I have I mentioned several times, I have auditioned many TOTL players and even the DMP-Z1 several times; I can tell you nothing comes close to what I'm experiencing on the modded 1Z+Solis+Z1R; even the DMP (Stock). I seriously dun think any new TOTL player that will be released in the next 1-2 yrs will be able to displace what I have... prob not even the 1Z replacement. The feeling of knowing that I already have the HW+FW that fits my needs and 100% endgame is truly great.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #33,799 of 45,723
How should we address our series of FWs? The Dark Side? Solar System? Space Odyssey? I want to customize making some stickers to put along side my K-mod sticker, reminding me of something I’m very proud of
Mad Max, screaming into the sunset in a heavily modded truck. Making their own rules in a disfunctional world.
Edit: Think of the scene with the giant speakers on the truck. What was the music being played, Metal?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #33,800 of 45,723
C3365947-9E5D-450E-A542-3C2711521F9D.jpeg

@Morbideath! Is this the kind of music you listen to? I found this in my player... amazing with Solis. Inherited quite a number of Metal albums from MS but never listened to them till now.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #33,801 of 45,723

@Morbideath! Is this the kind of music you listen to? I found this in my player... amazing with Solis. Inherited quite a number of Metal albums from MS but never listened to them till now.

It's close to what i listen to but it's not. Many metalhead don't regard such Nu Metal as metal, but something akin to rock n roll.
Disturbed is quite mainstream and easy-going for the majority out there.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #33,802 of 45,723
I didn’t expect so many to like Solis at all, in fact I thought it was meant to work best with a modded player. I myself might even wanna boost the bass of Solis a bit more and tune down the treble a tad. Again, it’s synergy and our subjective taste.
I hope @hshock76 could chime in and share to everyone, how a T5 level star scales from stock 1Z to modded 1Z.
I think your sound preferences are exactly mine based on the interaction we have had this far. I’d really really love to have this materialize. I love the current Solis but like you wish it had a tad more deeper bass and slightly tamer treble. Could this be a reality for me? Pretty, pretty please? I’ll do anything for that! @Whitigir

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #33,803 of 45,723
Pitches and Tempo accuracy are like this. In real life...I will ask 2 different Guitarist to play the same Guitars and the same Short Play. Most of the time You will be able to tell the differences.

When record it to analog systems. This is a little harder to tell but still

When recorded into digital systems...they are much harder to tell...that is why Digital music still has a long way to go in both algorithms and hardware
Pitch, tempo, micro detail, timing (and some more that we did not think of) are some of the intangibles that make music involving and emotional. I think when we feel music is "faster", more "you are there", and gets you "toe tapping", these are symptoms that a system is performing at the next level, also the hardest thing to achieve. It mostly is felt, and not measured. I think of what I have experienced before, when a CD player felt "slow". Not that the speed was off, just that it lacked immediacy, energy....speed, if you will.
Edit: The CD player was a Wadia 6. A very competent player, but the music felt “slow”.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #33,804 of 45,723
I think your sound preferences are exactly mine based on the interaction we have had this far. I’d really really love to have this materialize. I love the current Solis but like you wish it had a tad more deeper bass and slightly tamer treble. Could this be a reality for me? Pretty, pretty please? I’ll do anything for that! @Whitigir

unfortunately, not at the moment. Solis is quite perfect by itself. Its complexity and sophistication make it very hard to tune, a little boost of bass or suppress of treble may render the whole signature collapse. It has to stay balance.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #33,805 of 45,723
If u are after THE signature we both love, Mars is exactly it. Solis has to stay balance and retrieve a very high resolution with less distortions. Mars and Venus are deliberately creating distortions for us to enjoy / despise

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #33,806 of 45,723
If u are after THE signature we both love, Mars is exactly it. Solis has to stay balance and retrieve a very high resolution with less distortions. Mars and Venus are deliberately creating distortions for us to enjoy.

Why do I find solis dont have enough treble sparkle?
And I am the one to complain about treble being to high I am puzzled.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #33,807 of 45,723
If u are after THE signature we both love, Mars is exactly it. Solis has to stay balance and retrieve a very high resolution with less distortions. Mars and Venus are deliberately creating distortions for us to enjoy.
Tried all the Mars variations but i stil prefer Solis. The realism, stage and the way vocals push forward with that “in your room’ feel is mind blowing. Truly it is the best by far and nothing comes close. Just that the treble gets a little too piercing at times and i wish it had a little more rumble in the sub bass. Other than that it’s a perfect firmware. Just a thought, since CA region is more bassy, if i change to CA region from my current J, do you think it will solve my problem?

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #33,808 of 45,723
Tried all the Mars variations but i stil prefer Solis. The realism, stage and the way vocals push forward with that “in your room’ feel is mind blowing. Truly it is the best by far and nothing comes close. Just that the treble gets a little too piercing at times and i wish it had a little more rumble in the sub bass. Other than that it’s a perfect firmware. Just a thought, since CA region is more bassy, if i change to CA region from my current J, do you think it will solve my problem?
U can just try it to find out. Changing region won't take u 30 seconds.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #33,810 of 45,723
Ok First I would like to suggest that folks be less trigger happy at changing FWs in such short time.... Take at least half a day or even one day to test each one out... Its too easy to form a good or bad impression on first listen or in a short session. Our brains and ears actually take time to adjust... some take longer and some adjust fast. I just experienced something similar during dinner... auditioned my friend's U12T and marveled at the huge sound stage... switched back to the Z1R and felt the sound stage collapsed immediately.. I was even asking myself whether this was the Z1R I loved dearly. However, now back home and listening to the Z1R, the magic is back. I def prefer the vocals on the Sony vs the 64 audio which I found a tad too bright for me.

When I helped Beta Test the FWs; I too like Jupiter/Musical alot.. then came Saturn and then Solis. I gave each a fair chance and the more I listened the more I found out about the characteristics of each FW. Till date Solis is my fav on the K Mod player. Both @Whitigir & @Morbideath went to great lengths to conjure each of these codes; we on the other hand have it much easier... just DL, install and listen. so let's give each a good listen and chose the one most suitable for you.

Next, let's talk abit about mods. I'm was able to do A/B on each code with my stock and K-Mod Ultimate+ 1Z... The jump in performance from stock to modded for all the FWs is pretty significant. The main improvements are resolution, stage (width+depth), layering and imaging. The realism of the vocals.... it's a totally different world. Again I do not want to make it seem like I'm selling everyone the idea of modding your player.... but for those who wants to get the most of the codes and the player and be in a different listening realm, physical mods are the only way to go. As I have I mentioned several times, I have auditioned many TOTL players and even the DMP-Z1 several times; I can tell you nothing comes close to what I'm experiencing on the modded 1Z+Solis+Z1R; even the DMP (Stock). I seriously dun think any new TOTL player that will be released in the next 1-2 yrs will be able to displace what I have... prob not even the 1Z replacement. The feeling of knowing that I already have the HW+FW that fits my needs and 100% endgame is truly great.

That’s such a great point to wait 1/2 a day or more to form opinions. Especially a firmware like Solis, can remain reserved and almost subdued until you start to really understand it. So many firmware updates will have an instant “wow” effect but lose quality in time when your brain starts to recognize what has been unnaturally boosted. Since we were talking about food earlier; it would be like strong tasting food, that while fun at first, you may get sick of the taste everyday. Where up to this point Solis seems to be very careful about bestowing any big personality on the music. IMO

Solis is soundstage and resolution along with letting the dynamics of the changes in the music through. IMO

It’s within these dynamics can be found the soul of the recording.

I use the last 11 seconds of this song to test bass clarity. Also D1.02 on the 1A has this songs guitars soo hot, never heard them like it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back