SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #33,841 of 45,723
Long story short about timing:
1. I lurked in this threads for ages, when i saw your 1A mod i thought the time for sharing has riped.
2. Coincidentally, I was the founder of an investment company, i named it Timewise Capital

Wow!!! I am so speechless at all these coincidences :wink:

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #33,843 of 45,723
I hate you guys! I thought i was settled on Jupiter T3 on E region (J sounded to bassy) but I've tried the Solis and at first it sounded somewhat artificial. Too fast at the same time with tempered or too polite upper midrange/lower treble. I've now changed to J region and Solis now sounds mighty impressive. Very detailed but in organic sort of way. I don't know which one to choose! :D Testing on european, stock WM1A and IER-Z1R.

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #33,844 of 45,723
I hate you guys! I thought i was settled on Jupiter T3 on E region (J sounded to bassy) but I've tried the Solis and at first it sounded somewhat artificial. Too fast at the same time with tempered or too polite upper midrange/lower treble. I've now changed to J region and Solis now sounds mighty impressive. Very detailed but in organic sort of way. I don't know which one to choose! :D Testing on european, stock WM1A and IER-Z1R.
You don’t have to choose :wink:, just constantly be changing firmwares for a newer DAP each and every time :D

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #33,845 of 45,723
tonal preference aside, I think Solis + J has higher resolution and more information to offer

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #33,847 of 45,723
Solis on J with stock 1A bridges the gap with the 1Z. Very very close. Organic, detailed and buttery smooth.

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #33,848 of 45,723
BTW I came back yesterday to my previously favourite stock 3.01. Soundstage feels narrower, like it ends on line with my ears and on the custom fw it reaches further, out of your head. The bass is still deep and with good punch but it's kinda washed out. Not as precisely defined. Highs are not as clean, more edgy, with more sparkle and just before the border of being hot. Midrange is still melodious and powerfull but same as the bass, not that clearly defined. Some of these changes are more pronounced than others but they add up. Stock WM1A still sounds plenty good and have exciting sound to offer but I must say it's getting hard to go back.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #33,850 of 45,723
Stock wm1A in region E, solid, does magnificent things with superbly recorded music, esp Hi-res
15836726064021026403035559751944.jpg

Mar 8, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #33,851 of 45,723
BTW I came back yesterday to my previously favourite stock 3.01. Soundstage feels narrower, like it ends on line with my ears and on the custom fw it reaches further, out of your head. The bass is still deep and with good punch but it's kinda washed out. Not as precisely defined. Highs are not as clean, more edgy, with more sparkle and just before the border of being hot. Midrange is still melodious and powerfull but same as the bass, not that clearly defined. Some of these changes are more pronounced than others but they add up. Stock WM1A still sounds plenty good and have exciting sound to offer but I must say it's getting hard to go back.
can you try 3.00? i feel its the most diferent to the new FW I think the new FW elevates the 1A to unpresedent territorry the oposite its 3.00 wich feels so neutral flat (maybe piercing but not after EQ) and acurate at the same time, it is all very iem dependant but I figure it this way sometimes you want plain bread to eat, sometimes chocolate cake sometimes donuts but you chose one for every day flavors vary iems vary cables vary etc... peoples mood and also custom gear so its is all wellcome!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #33,852 of 45,723
Well i can see a progression in solis It sounds better on my 1A than many of previous mostly couse I think Gain its awesome I can really imagine this new FW to reduce breach between 1A and former Unmoded FW1Z its very nice feels really diferent from the rest! cant wait por Saturn maybe a couple more plannets? or even some galaxy? This FW feels very diferent! It since to make my tech house Faster and lighter! And buttery smoth! but bass is FAT and FAST Mids Feel closer to my beloved 3.00! I know when Gain is ok couse I can Use effects and they impact well for some reason on elevated GAIN effects are lost... good work! This one reminded me a little bit of FUN but the reverbs are just insane and on other level! A definitive step into the right direction...
Solis Has:
+ Smoth bass Check (its so powerfull it can be compared with 1.20 its that powerfull) Ending Game Bass
+ Awesome staging Check (Huge)
+ Awesome mids resolution and highs check
+ Unfatiguing and silky highs check (I had to set to 0 my EQ in the 16khz region couse its so well made)
+ Accurate gain check (all my songs sound well no saturation and no low volume songs)
+ Interesting Reverb check! (its like a ver expensive portable Hall With 2 15inch Subwoofers)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #33,854 of 45,723
wich FW are you on? If you can state what you hear in diferent regions will be awesome for me J was warmer than my stock MX3.. wich for me its harsh but i prefer It! what does E do?
Houston, I've landed on the sun, ma here's so hot . I found Japanese to be more brighter than E, I've not ventured to other regions. Houston, perhaps later I switch my ship's boosters again with J boosters

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #33,855 of 45,723
can you try 3.00? i feel its the most diferent to the new FW I think the new FW elevates the 1A to unpresedent territorry the oposite its 3.00 wich feels so neutral flat (maybe piercing but not after EQ) and acurate at the same time, it is all very iem dependant but I figure it this way sometimes you want plain bread to eat, sometimes chocolate cake sometimes donuts but you chose one for every day flavors vary iems vary cables vary etc... peoples mood and also custom gear so its is all wellcome!

I tried it when it was released and didnt like it. It sucked out the 1A warmth. I've rolled back to 2.0 however Sony released 3.01 soon after which reurned the warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back