SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #31,741 of 45,723
Can't really quantify in detail so I am going with my memory of how I felt when I tested both.

I did not have the "wow" feeling when I auditioned the SP2K on 2 occasions in SG last year. On the first occasion, I tested both SP2K and Kann Cube and ended up walking out the shop with the Kann Cube. I was floored by the super wide sound stage when pairing the Kann Cube with the IER-Z1R and how it made every piece sound like being in a live session. However, I was reading really good reviews of the SP2K and made a trip to audition it again several months later; but my impression did not change much. A very good player but nothing really stood out for me. I was using the IER-Z1R on both occasions.

The 228-EX on the other hand made me sit up and listen when I first tried it and it improved alot after 200hrs burned in. Soundstage, imaging, resolution and clarity were its really strong points.

However, like I've mentioned several times in my posts, the 1Z (both stock & modded) has that little extra magic for me when it comes to vocal focused tracks. The 228-EX on the other hand is really good at Jazz, Orchestra and pop.

awesome!! Thank you for the details!!

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #31,742 of 45,723
B05F7546-07E3-4C1E-A054-D7E9888739EC.jpeg

Really enjoying this office combo now:
1Z (Stock) > PW Audio No.5 8-wire > Hayla CE-5

The warmth of the 1Z balances out the brighter CE-5 resulting in an outstanding combination and gives a different signature from the Z1R. Sub bass, soundstage, separation and imaging is outstanding. Listening to Beatles on this combo brings me back in time and fast tracks from MJ sounds really good.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #31,743 of 45,723
how many of you here tried new SP2K ? And still staying with WM1Z/A ?
I bought the SP2k 4 months ago and have been enjoying it's increased clean power, and fast response. after using the 1Z for the past 3 years, the SP2k feels like a fresh breath of air, I still like the1Z for certain mood

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #31,744 of 45,723
Talking about response, the Hayla CE-5 is like a sports car compared to the Z1R which is akin to a Grand Tourer.

The combination of the 1Z with the IER-Z1R is laid back in nature but the Hayla and the 1Z sounds brighter, faster and exciting; great for fast pace genres.

I was initially unsure of the Hayla as the mids sounded thin; but after pairing it with the warmer 1Z, i am hooked.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #31,745 of 45,723
My wm1z is now on 50 hrs and it's starting to sound a lot better. Seriously can't judge it from out of the box

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #31,746 of 45,723
Feedback SONY WM1A MOD K ULTIMATE vs SONY WM1Z

INTRO

Is a WM1A mod K Ultimate as good as a WM1Z? I've been asking this question for over a year. I must say that I really like the WM1Z, its signature and its sound performance are one of the best today.
However, I don't really like its physical characteristics. Like this ostentatious gold plate bordering on bad taste (but very fashionable in Asia). But above all its mass… We are not either in the gargantuan combo SP1000 + amp; 453 grams it weighs. I must admit, the wm1a in black with a featherweight of 266 grams appeals to me more.
On the sound side, a year ago I listened to the wm1a, but I don't remember the signature at all so I'm not going to dare to describe it, I just know that I didn't like it. In the meantime, a lot of listening and the abandonment of analytic listening that disgusted me with my flamencos. A few months of silence and I found the pleasure of listening with the wm1z and the 1960 which give flamencos what I have always hoped for.
For this comparison I will try to describe to you as precisely as possible my personal impressions on these DAPs. I'm going to use my JOMO flamencos ciem switches off, the PW 1960 4k and a little bit the EA Horus 8. For information, the two DAPs have firmware 3.02.
Unfortunately I cannot share the tracks I have listened to because there have been a lot during the forty hours of listening.
Note a little oddity, on the wm1ak my comfortable listening volume is +/- 70 when it is +/- 90 on the wm1z ...

TECHNICAL SIDE

Overall the sound scene of the wm1z is wider with an enveloping side while being distant while the wm1ak is more classic with a panoramic scene.
In terms of height I could not distinguish a noticeable difference, both have a lot of height which is very nice.
The wm1z has more depth in its soundstage but it is underused; the difference is mainly in the depth management, which is different. The wm1ak stands out with a closer soundstage and a very risky bet on the management of the depth which cannot please everyone.

The presentation of the wm1z offers a classic, harmonious and soft, very structured sound stage that allows you to appreciate the details. The use of space is excellent, the various instruments are well separated in width / height while keeping a very good definition. Unfortunately too little distribution in the depth.
The wm1ak offers another style, a centralization which occupies a large part of the width / height with a big work of separation of the instruments in depth, less in width, only the details will be spread out at the ends of the soundstage. A raw scene that gives natural listening to any song that grooves!

For treble, the wm1z dominates widely, its treble is beautiful, full with extensions. The wm1ak is struggling on these frequencies, treble treble, with few extensions with sometimes an aggressive tendency.

The mediums play the game of wm1ak, very thick they occupy the sound stage wonderfully. They lack finesse but with great depth they are the essence of wm1a. Very dynamic, they massively transmit the energy of music. The mediums of the wm1z are soft and beautiful, they spread in finesse with a lot of details in width but often lacking in depth. They give little dynamism preferring to express themselves in nuances.

The bass is full and generous with the wm1ak, it hits hard with a beautiful definition, very good extensions and above all a lot of depth which gives this very nice little echo. They play an important role in the very musical signature of this DAP. The wm1z also offers beautiful, full bass, with excellent definition and detail. The bottom of the spectrum respects a very precise musical balance while remaining in its place in control.

Voice side, it gets tougher! The wm1a with its close sound stage presents the voices with body, a lot of depth and textures. By cons voices lack of width which is a shame, therefore they lack of presence among the overall sound message. The wm1z, more distant from the listener, however, leaves more room for the voice which is expressed more in width, it takes place harmoniously throughout the sound message.

SENSATIONS SIDE

The wm1z is more in softness, calm, it takes the time to tell the music and lets more details express themselves in width. It’s sometimes monotonous on soul / blues / jazz tracks because it lacks liveliness and textures.
The energy that comes out of the wm1ak is very impressive. The midrange and bass are the signature of this Dap, their presence and the dynamism that accompanies them offers the listener a powerful and enjoyable listening.
For my part the wm1ak proves to be better because it transmits to the listener beautiful emotions, we are (in) the music! With the wm1z we listen to music, it spreads too much in details and can be soft or flat.

COUPLES SIDE

Wm1ak-1960
Passionate marriage

Combo ultra engaged in the musical, the synergy of mod K and 1960 detonates. There is a raw side that offers the acoustic / live feel. Without being in the Wow effect (Bose type), listening transmits life and dynamism. The problem of highs of 1960 is heard more on this combo and it is really a shame, we have metallic trebles, a little aggressive and very limited. Midrange and bass dominate and give a lot of intensity to the listening.
The ultimate musicality in this grooving association.

Wm1z-1960
Romantic wedding

Quite engaged in music, we find the qualities of DAP with its finesse and softness. The sound scene becomes enveloping. The romantic side of the 1960s adds thickness without covering the details. The bass is beautiful and well integrated. The soundstage is very coherent and harmonious for my taste. Everything is there, width, height, but a timid depth management. I had a lot of fun hearing the harmonies, these note extensions that add a real boost to listening.
Excellent association which provides a balanced musical listening.

Wm1ak-Horus 8,
Arranged marriage

I liked the association of horus 8 with wm1ak. The sound scene is receding, we are leaving for analytics that groove well. We gain clarity, detail and definition. The sound stage opens up, which broadens the instruments and voice without reaching the wm1z with the same cable ... The treble lacks clarity and lacks extension. The bass is discreet. Unfortunately this cable once again demonstrates its analytical side, attenuating the body and the dynamics. However, we are still very far from the dreary plains of the horus sp1000 combo.
This association is certainly the best balance between analytics and music.

Wm1z-Horus 8,
White wedding

We are far from the sound stage, listening becomes panoramic, the enveloping effect becomes more discreet. However I find a partial occupation of the depth with many empty spaces. We win in detail but we find ourselves in a smooth listening that gave me shy emotions. I feel a lack of body and textures. The treble is good, beautiful and wide but they can not match the sp1000. The medium is present, well placed with beautiful extensions. Unfortunately the bass lacks body and depth, they are generally very discreet. It is a calm and calm listening.
Excellent combo for those who like analytical listening with subtly controlled dynamics. I think it's a wiretap that can compare without blushing to the erratic sp1000 amp.

CONCLUSION

The wm1a mod K has proven to be an excellent challenger to the wm1z. I really liked the two DAPs, each with its qualities and its faults. They are two different DAPs, their sound signatures are not really comparable, each with its own style.

So if you want a clear opinion I unfortunately do not have it.

The wm1ak with its light weight and incredible energy seems more suitable for everyday urban nomads. The wm1z and its overweight would correspond more to a relaxed, gentle listening, at home or on vacation.

I realize the fabulous advance that modd K provides on the wm1a. I am therefore thinking of modding the wm1z. I wish it had more body and dynamics, will it be at the sacrifice of definition and details? It will be my next step!

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #31,747 of 45,723

INTRO

Is a WM1A mod K Ultimate as good as a WM1Z? I've been asking this question for over a year. I must say that I really like the WM1Z, its signature and its sound performance are one of the best today.
However, I don't really like its physical characteristics. Like this ostentatious gold plate bordering on bad taste (but very fashionable in Asia). But above all its mass… We are not either in the gargantuan combo SP1000 + amp; 453 grams it weighs. I must admit, the wm1a in black with a featherweight of 266 grams appeals to me more.
On the sound side, a year ago I listened to the wm1a, but I don't remember the signature at all so I'm not going to dare to describe it, I just know that I didn't like it. In the meantime, a lot of listening and the abandonment of analytic listening that disgusted me with my flamencos. A few months of silence and I found the pleasure of listening with the wm1z and the 1960 which give flamencos what I have always hoped for.
For this comparison I will try to describe to you as precisely as possible my personal impressions on these DAPs. I'm going to use my JOMO flamencos ciem switches off, the PW 1960 4k and a little bit the EA Horus 8. For information, the two DAPs have firmware 3.02.
Unfortunately I cannot share the tracks I have listened to because there have been a lot during the forty hours of listening.
Note a little oddity, on the wm1ak my comfortable listening volume is +/- 70 when it is +/- 90 on the wm1z ...

TECHNICAL SIDE

Overall the sound scene of the wm1z is wider with an enveloping side while being distant while the wm1ak is more classic with a panoramic scene.
In terms of height I could not distinguish a noticeable difference, both have a lot of height which is very nice.
The wm1z has more depth in its soundstage but it is underused; the difference is mainly in the depth management, which is different. The wm1ak stands out with a closer soundstage and a very risky bet on the management of the depth which cannot please everyone.

The presentation of the wm1z offers a classic, harmonious and soft, very structured sound stage that allows you to appreciate the details. The use of space is excellent, the various instruments are well separated in width / height while keeping a very good definition. Unfortunately too little distribution in the depth.
The wm1ak offers another style, a centralization which occupies a large part of the width / height with a big work of separation of the instruments in depth, less in width, only the details will be spread out at the ends of the soundstage. A raw scene that gives natural listening to any song that grooves!

For treble, the wm1z dominates widely, its treble is beautiful, full with extensions. The wm1ak is struggling on these frequencies, treble treble, with few extensions with sometimes an aggressive tendency.

The mediums play the game of wm1ak, very thick they occupy the sound stage wonderfully. They lack finesse but with great depth they are the essence of wm1a. Very dynamic, they massively transmit the energy of music. The mediums of the wm1z are soft and beautiful, they spread in finesse with a lot of details in width but often lacking in depth. They give little dynamism preferring to express themselves in nuances.

The bass is full and generous with the wm1ak, it hits hard with a beautiful definition, very good extensions and above all a lot of depth which gives this very nice little echo. They play an important role in the very musical signature of this DAP. The wm1z also offers beautiful, full bass, with excellent definition and detail. The bottom of the spectrum respects a very precise musical balance while remaining in its place in control.

Voice side, it gets tougher! The wm1a with its close sound stage presents the voices with body, a lot of depth and textures. By cons voices lack of width which is a shame, therefore they lack of presence among the overall sound message. The wm1z, more distant from the listener, however, leaves more room for the voice which is expressed more in width, it takes place harmoniously throughout the sound message.

SENSATIONS SIDE

The wm1z is more in softness, calm, it takes the time to tell the music and lets more details express themselves in width. It’s sometimes monotonous on soul / blues / jazz tracks because it lacks liveliness and textures.
The energy that comes out of the wm1ak is very impressive. The midrange and bass are the signature of this Dap, their presence and the dynamism that accompanies them offers the listener a powerful and enjoyable listening.
For my part the wm1ak proves to be better because it transmits to the listener beautiful emotions, we are (in) the music! With the wm1z we listen to music, it spreads too much in details and can be soft or flat.

COUPLES SIDE

Wm1ak-1960
Passionate marriage

Combo ultra engaged in the musical, the synergy of mod K and 1960 detonates. There is a raw side that offers the acoustic / live feel. Without being in the Wow effect (Bose type), listening transmits life and dynamism. The problem of highs of 1960 is heard more on this combo and it is really a shame, we have metallic trebles, a little aggressive and very limited. Midrange and bass dominate and give a lot of intensity to the listening.

Wm1z-1960
Romantic wedding

Quite engaged in music, we find the qualities of DAP with its finesse and softness. The sound scene becomes enveloping. The romantic side of the 1960s adds thickness without covering the details. The bass is beautiful and well integrated. The soundstage is very coherent and harmonious for my taste. Everything is there, width, height, but a timid depth management. I had a lot of fun hearing the harmonies, these note extensions that add a real boost to listening.

Wm1ak-Horus 8,
Arranged marriage

I liked the association of horus 8 with wm1ak. The sound scene is receding, we are leaving for analytics that groove well. We gain clarity, detail and definition. The sound stage opens up, which broadens the instruments and voice without reaching the wm1z with the same cable ... The treble lacks clarity and lacks extension. The bass is discreet. Unfortunately this cable once again demonstrates its analytical side, attenuating the body and the dynamics. However, we are still very far from the dreary plains of the horus sp1000 combo.

Wm1z-Horus 8,
White wedding

We are far from the sound stage, listening becomes panoramic, the enveloping effect becomes more discreet. However I find a partial occupation of the depth with many empty spaces. We win in detail but we find ourselves in a smooth listening that gave me shy emotions. I feel a lack of body and textures. The treble is good, beautiful and wide but they can not match the sp1000. The medium is present, well placed with beautiful extensions. Unfortunately the bass lacks body and depth, they are generally very discreet. It is a calm and calm listening.
Excellent combo for those who like analytical listening with subtly controlled dynamics. I think it's a wiretap that can compare without blushing to the erratic sp1000 amp.

CONCLUSION

The wm1a mod K has proven to be an excellent challenger to the wm1z. I really liked the two DAPs, each with its qualities and its faults. They are two different DAPs, their sound signatures are not really comparable, each with its own style.

The wm1ak with its light weight and incredible energy seems more suitable for everyday urban nomads. The wm1z and its overweight would correspond more to a relaxed, gentle listening, at home or on vacation.

I realize the fabulous advance that modd K provides on the wm1a. I am therefore thinking of modding the wm1z. I wish it had more body and dynamics, will it be at the sacrifice of definition and details? It will be my next step!
Oh wow! That was definitely magical.

I wish you could compare modded 1A vs modded 1Z, that would definitely put to rest the comparison once and for all.

I would say, yes there are improved body and dynamics, actually modded 1Z is less thick sounding than original 1Z with improved attention and details; while still retaining its musicality. It will still retain its 3 D characteristics, even seeming better treble, sparkle etc. However my mod s a little different from kmod, using gold silver wire so things maybe a little different. To me, my modded 1Z is actually has more dynamics and bass hits harder than regular 1A. It no longer sound soft and speed wise is faster. Soundstage is even wider than 1A and has good depth. I would describe modded 1Z as almost like a real life pure performance sucking you in and making you completely forgot the iem and dap, no window, no sheen, nada, nothing between you and your music,while regular 1A is clinical cold sounding HiFi music. Then again, I use EQ and all the Sony bells and whistles so maybe results will vary.

Definitely good writing, tell us which is you favorite though and why

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #31,748 of 45,723
3.0(like also 3.02) seems to be a bit of a underappreciated firmware version?

With my 1Z/EX1000 I now prefer 3.0 over 3.01/3.02:)

Deeper bass and more extended highs, a more dynamic character maybe?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #31,749 of 45,723

With my 1Z/EX1000 I prefer 3.0 over 3.01/3.02.

Deeper bass and more extended highs:)

Could not use 3.0, it constantly crashed my 1Z, the only crashes I’ve ever had in 5 years with Sony daps

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #31,751 of 45,723

INTRO

TECHNICAL SIDE

SENSATIONS SIDE

COUPLES SIDE

Wm1ak-1960
Passionate marriage

Wm1z-1960
Romantic wedding

Wm1ak-Horus 8,
Arranged marriage

Wm1z-Horus 8,
White wedding

CONCLUSION

I thank you for the impressions
Yes, stock Wm1A has higher gain in loudness VS Wm1Z. Not by much but noticeable
This is the reason why I M taking my WM1A to the extreme!!!! Light weight and good pricing. The WM1Z is expensive due to the copper-gold playing chassis alone :D. Everything else can be modified to suite tastes better, and once you eliminate the Chassis, the WM1A is excellent platform

WM1A trebles can be refined :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #31,752 of 45,723
Not a single crash though only in use yet for a few days. Library also builds as fast as with 3.01/3.02.

Hard to believe your library database loads just as fast with 3.0? That would be remarkable actually? You must not have many files? Though I guess anything can happen; we had some folks where 3.0 never crashed.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #31,753 of 45,723

With my 1Z/EX1000 I now prefer 3.0 over 3.01/3.02:)

Deeper bass and more extended highs, a more dynamic character maybe?
I havent try balanced... but from SE 3.01 has more bass response than either of the other 2... i suggest you give it a try I maded a chart of this to my hearing VIA SE I have re heard 3.00 and i feel you might be right it since like a 3.02 but more acurate and wth 2.0 bass resemblance.... maybe 3.00 inhered the 2.0 bass. equalizer deeply affects sound i suggest some curious people make a trip to 3.02 i feel a little faster bass than 3.01 but not as mid centric as 3.02 nor as shouty gain since better for me! And staging since clinical and acurate not exagerated as 3.02 trebble is very extended! On latest firmwares i have to eq very heavily... specialy triming high frecuencies... 8K its a-6db 16K -1.5 maybe its right treble its very powerfull on 3.00 also some deep bass can be heard its weird i like 3.00 staging a lot more than 3.02... its intimate but very holographic and pinpoint sharp... I do notice slower database build dough like 1.5x the time...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back