SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #31,757 of 45,723
you should start a modding company i trust you!
LOL! Enthusiasm shall not be infringed with greed, even a slightest bit...even if the bit is bit-perfect

Just kidding, but I rather serve my Master, the inner beast within my heart which always bring pocket damaging ideas

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #31,758 of 45,723
LOL! Enthusiasm shall not be infringed with greed, even a slightest bit...even if the bit is bit-perfect

Just kidding, but I rather serve my Master, the inner beast within my heart which always bring pocket damaging ideas
I can be your S-Master :dark_sunglasses: :astonished: bad joke lol! ill give ya my 1A in a heart-bit! for you to experiment!

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #31,760 of 45,723
Hard to believe your library database loads just as fast with 3.0? That would be remarkable actually? You must not have many files? Though I guess anything can happen; we had some folks where 3.0 never crashed.

My library is indeed quite small at around 150gb, mix of dsd, hires flacs and normal flac. Always used Sony Music center to transfer files, maybe that helps as well in a quick library build+avoid errors?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #31,761 of 45,723
When I keep craving for moar. Now Extreme Modification of WM1A has fully matured

lady and gentle man, the WM1A-EM
D1D4E577-AFF0-4498-B0D1-5A025C86C3D8.jpeg
Omg! You’re definitely crazy.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #31,763 of 45,723
When the strokes along the string , quick flicks techniques, can both have sparkles and defined decays and voicing!!!! That is next level

C5525D77-C8BD-4D6D-A04C-5C06F88986E9.jpeg

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #31,764 of 45,723
When the strokes along the string , quick flicks techniques, can both have sparkles and defined decays and voicing!!!! That is next level

C5525D77-C8BD-4D6D-A04C-5C06F88986E9.jpeg
Hard question,

which now do you prefer, your latest modded 1A or your modded DX220 and why

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #31,765 of 45,723
After a few Hours back to 3.0 i can say everyone has to give it a listen again after all what happened it makes something special out of 1Asome things sound strage but some sound better than ever!

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #31,766 of 45,723
Hard question,

which now do you prefer, your latest modded 1A or your modded DX220 and why

The reason why I ventured back into Portable DAP is mainly occurred since I had some changes in life. Especially with IER-Z1R buds

Now, I always love Sony uniqueness!!! Why else would I have DMP Z1 ? Sony caught me off guard because it wasn’t S-Master. But it sounds so freakishly good and awesome. I always craved this

The reason why I stick with Dx220 for so long is due to the power delivery that can bring my HD800S to shine, and it was a long while. I just bring it further in references with my Desktop and Stax systems. But it is what it is, Neutral and Resolutions, Fidelity, Power

Again, I always love this Sony uniqueness, and I always wanted to take DMP Z1 on the go with me....if I could miniaturized it ? What is better than a WM1A and S-Master ?

Here I am, trying to mimick the DMP Z1 in portable form.

Of course I prefer Walkman with IER Z1R, I am more into Warmth and tube-like or analog like. However, I am also very open minded and have good references to judge other sound signatures too. The DX228EX is another result which is polar opposite.

Sony also has another uniqueness is the Soundstage vertical rendering, together with spherical images coherency. It can also be observed on Walkman 1A/Z too. I have yet heard other Portables that has as much vertical rendering as Walkman or DMP Z1

Give life back to Music!!!
988C26C7-3B30-4D81-B30A-ADF583B7E2DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #31,767 of 45,723
I have never experienced change in sound due to burn in as much as with the wm1z. Already sounds much better than out of the box. Out of the box it was probably not worth the money. My opinion is changing

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #31,768 of 45,723
I have never experienced change in sound due to burn in as much as with the wm1z. Already sounds much better than out of the box. Out of the box it was probably not worth the money. My opinion is changing
LOL!!! Let the Journey Begin !! The journey and quest to empty your pocket

Feb 14, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #31,769 of 45,723
Feedback SONY WM1A MOD K ULTIMATE vs SONY WM1Z

INTRO

Is a WM1A mod K Ultimate as good as a WM1Z? I've been asking this question for over a year. I must say that I really like the WM1Z, its signature and its sound performance are one of the best today.
However, I don't really like its physical characteristics. Like this ostentatious gold plate bordering on bad taste (but very fashionable in Asia). But above all its mass… We are not either in the gargantuan combo SP1000 + amp; 453 grams it weighs. I must admit, the wm1a in black with a featherweight of 266 grams appeals to me more.
On the sound side, a year ago I listened to the wm1a, but I don't remember the signature at all so I'm not going to dare to describe it, I just know that I didn't like it. In the meantime, a lot of listening and the abandonment of analytic listening that disgusted me with my flamencos. A few months of silence and I found the pleasure of listening with the wm1z and the 1960 which give flamencos what I have always hoped for.
For this comparison I will try to describe to you as precisely as possible my personal impressions on these DAPs. I'm going to use my JOMO flamencos ciem switches off, the PW 1960 4k and a little bit the EA Horus 8. For information, the two DAPs have firmware 3.02.
Unfortunately I cannot share the tracks I have listened to because there have been a lot during the forty hours of listening.
Note a little oddity, on the wm1ak my comfortable listening volume is +/- 70 when it is +/- 90 on the wm1z ...

TECHNICAL SIDE

Overall the sound scene of the wm1z is wider with an enveloping side while being distant while the wm1ak is more classic with a panoramic scene.
In terms of height I could not distinguish a noticeable difference, both have a lot of height which is very nice.
The wm1z has more depth in its soundstage but it is underused; the difference is mainly in the depth management, which is different. The wm1ak stands out with a closer soundstage and a very risky bet on the management of the depth which cannot please everyone.

The presentation of the wm1z offers a classic, harmonious and soft, very structured sound stage that allows you to appreciate the details. The use of space is excellent, the various instruments are well separated in width / height while keeping a very good definition. Unfortunately too little distribution in the depth.
The wm1ak offers another style, a centralization which occupies a large part of the width / height with a big work of separation of the instruments in depth, less in width, only the details will be spread out at the ends of the soundstage. A raw scene that gives natural listening to any song that grooves!

For treble, the wm1z dominates widely, its treble is beautiful, full with extensions. The wm1ak is struggling on these frequencies, treble treble, with few extensions with sometimes an aggressive tendency.

The mediums play the game of wm1ak, very thick they occupy the sound stage wonderfully. They lack finesse but with great depth they are the essence of wm1a. Very dynamic, they massively transmit the energy of music. The mediums of the wm1z are soft and beautiful, they spread in finesse with a lot of details in width but often lacking in depth. They give little dynamism preferring to express themselves in nuances.

The bass is full and generous with the wm1ak, it hits hard with a beautiful definition, very good extensions and above all a lot of depth which gives this very nice little echo. They play an important role in the very musical signature of this DAP. The wm1z also offers beautiful, full bass, with excellent definition and detail. The bottom of the spectrum respects a very precise musical balance while remaining in its place in control.

Voice side, it gets tougher! The wm1a with its close sound stage presents the voices with body, a lot of depth and textures. By cons voices lack of width which is a shame, therefore they lack of presence among the overall sound message. The wm1z, more distant from the listener, however, leaves more room for the voice which is expressed more in width, it takes place harmoniously throughout the sound message.

SENSATIONS SIDE

The wm1z is more in softness, calm, it takes the time to tell the music and lets more details express themselves in width. It’s sometimes monotonous on soul / blues / jazz tracks because it lacks liveliness and textures.
The energy that comes out of the wm1ak is very impressive. The midrange and bass are the signature of this Dap, their presence and the dynamism that accompanies them offers the listener a powerful and enjoyable listening.
For my part the wm1ak proves to be better because it transmits to the listener beautiful emotions, we are (in) the music! With the wm1z we listen to music, it spreads too much in details and can be soft or flat.

COUPLES SIDE

Wm1ak-1960
Passionate marriage

Combo ultra engaged in the musical, the synergy of mod K and 1960 detonates. There is a raw side that offers the acoustic / live feel. Without being in the Wow effect (Bose type), listening transmits life and dynamism. The problem of highs of 1960 is heard more on this combo and it is really a shame, we have metallic trebles, a little aggressive and very limited. Midrange and bass dominate and give a lot of intensity to the listening.
The ultimate musicality in this grooving association.

Wm1z-1960
Romantic wedding

Quite engaged in music, we find the qualities of DAP with its finesse and softness. The sound scene becomes enveloping. The romantic side of the 1960s adds thickness without covering the details. The bass is beautiful and well integrated. The soundstage is very coherent and harmonious for my taste. Everything is there, width, height, but a timid depth management. I had a lot of fun hearing the harmonies, these note extensions that add a real boost to listening.
Excellent association which provides a balanced musical listening.

Wm1ak-Horus 8,
Arranged marriage

I liked the association of horus 8 with wm1ak. The sound scene is receding, we are leaving for analytics that groove well. We gain clarity, detail and definition. The sound stage opens up, which broadens the instruments and voice without reaching the wm1z with the same cable ... The treble lacks clarity and lacks extension. The bass is discreet. Unfortunately this cable once again demonstrates its analytical side, attenuating the body and the dynamics. However, we are still very far from the dreary plains of the horus sp1000 combo.
This association is certainly the best balance between analytics and music.

Wm1z-Horus 8,
White wedding

We are far from the sound stage, listening becomes panoramic, the enveloping effect becomes more discreet. However I find a partial occupation of the depth with many empty spaces. We win in detail but we find ourselves in a smooth listening that gave me shy emotions. I feel a lack of body and textures. The treble is good, beautiful and wide but they can not match the sp1000. The medium is present, well placed with beautiful extensions. Unfortunately the bass lacks body and depth, they are generally very discreet. It is a calm and calm listening.
Excellent combo for those who like analytical listening with subtly controlled dynamics. I think it's a wiretap that can compare without blushing to the erratic sp1000 amp.

CONCLUSION

The wm1a mod K has proven to be an excellent challenger to the wm1z. I really liked the two DAPs, each with its qualities and its faults. They are two different DAPs, their sound signatures are not really comparable, each with its own style.

So if you want a clear opinion I unfortunately do not have it.

The wm1ak with its light weight and incredible energy seems more suitable for everyday urban nomads. The wm1z and its overweight would correspond more to a relaxed, gentle listening, at home or on vacation.

I realize the fabulous advance that modd K provides on the wm1a. I am therefore thinking of modding the wm1z. I wish it had more body and dynamics, will it be at the sacrifice of definition and details? It will be my next step!

Really cool comparison thanks for sharing I am now even more confident in my 1z and I am headed further more with the idea to get 1z k mod ultimate :)

maybe you can enlight me a little more about the pw 1960 cable, you mentioned it had some treble energy with 1ak

" The problem of highs of 1960 is heard more on this combo and it is really a shame, we have metallic trebles, a little aggressive and very limited "

I am afraid of that cause I experienced it with ares II 8 wires and lately with another full copper cable. I am in a decision between plussound gold plated silver and pw 1960, my feelings telling me gold plated silver is a better option. what you think?

I really love the gold plated silver cable sound, more refined organic warm and very naturally analytical. Its also bassy with with a different twist. Specialy that treble, it extremely refined smooth in treble, no jittery energetic treble harshness that I had with ares II 8 wire....

Feb 14, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #31,770 of 45,723
Well when my ier z1r arrive I'm hoping to be set for a long time! The transformation in sound is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back