SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #30,616 of 45,723
Wondering how most folks use 1A/1Z as transport or DAC to home systems?
Do you use a docking station?
Thanks

System 1 = 1Z 4.4mm output to 2.5mm input to ALO CDM. Use Aeon close , Utopia, and Noble Khan.

System 2 = 1Z into Sony dock out, usb out to Denafrips Terminator, output to ALO Studio Six tube amp. Use Utopia only mainly.

System 3 = 1Z 3.5mm output split to RCA into tube PA and tube Amp to drive Magnepan 3.7i speakers for 2 channel enjoyment.

System 4 = 1Z 3.5mm output split to ALO Studio Six tube amp. Use Utopia mainly.

System 5 = Will Be = 1Z into Sony Dock, usb output to Denafrips Termi Dac, output to tube PA, Tube Amp, Magnepan 3.7i, 2 REL S5 subs for ultimate 2 channel enjoyment.

Anything else??????

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #30,617 of 45,723
Dec 3, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #30,618 of 45,723
It is very nice. I had one but only used it as a charging stand so a bit overkill so sold it and bought the stand instead.

Does the 1z/a fit in the stand with a case on? I use the miter case and how does the cable hook on the stand?

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #30,619 of 45,723
System 1 = 1Z 4.4mm output to 2.5mm input to ALO CDM. Use Aeon close , Utopia, and Noble Khan.

System 2 = 1Z into Sony dock out, usb out to Denafrips Terminator, output to ALO Studio Six tube amp. Use Utopia only mainly.

System 3 = 1Z 3.5mm output split to RCA into tube PA and tube Amp to drive Magnepan 3.7i speakers for 2 channel enjoyment.

System 4 = 1Z 3.5mm output split to ALO Studio Six tube amp. Use Utopia mainly.

System 5 = Will Be = 1Z into Sony Dock, usb output to Denafrips Termi Dac, output to tube PA, Tube Amp, Magnepan 3.7i, 2 REL S5 subs for ultimate 2 channel enjoyment.

Anything else??????
Dang, ultimate music enjoyment!

Common experiences for those with with significant others: How many ears you have, why so many iem etc etc? ...hehe

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #30,620 of 45,723
So I just pick up an ordered Alo Gold 16 iem 2 pin cable with 4.4mm and have been listening for about half an hour.

OMG! It sounds sooo damn good with Andromeda. It might even be better than my PW1960 cable. Very revealing, so musical, sharp bass, no bloominess, hits hard, I mean subbass hits really hard. It feels like I am rediscovering each and every note, each note is sharp and has weight behind them. Echoes feels so real, clarity and resolution up through the roof, no sheen, nothing at all. High vocal notes goes as high as the sky but not harsh, low notes are natural and clear. So damn musical and realistic. It has amazing synergy with my EQ'd stack: modded WM1Z FW 3.02 --> Oriolus BA300S amp --> Alo 16 gold iem cable --> Original Andromeda with jvc spiral dot tip. I heard a while ago, but I think my stack clarity and resolution are up to par with AK SP1K (haven't heard 2K yet), if not better, with addition of toe tapping great dynamics and musicality. I am very satisfied. I feel it can go toe in toe with EE LX and based on my own preference, likely win.

Get the Alo 16 Gold iem cable when its on discount! It's a misundertood sleeping gem of the highest order, and damn cheap during sale.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #30,621 of 45,723
I played so loud my left ear is hurting now

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #30,622 of 45,723
Does the 1z/a fit in the stand with a case on? I use the miter case and how does the cable hook on the stand?

It fits with the Benks clear tpu case, I have no idea if other cases would fit but expect that as long as it is not too bulky and leaves the wm port free it would work. You just click the wm port cable that came with the player into the stand. The dock cradle could not be used with a Dignis leather case

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #30,623 of 45,723
I tried the same stack with EE Phantom and LimeEar Aether; they sound meh. Phantom sounds flat, revealing but nothing else jumps out. Aether sounds anemic and muffled.

Back to CA OG Andromeda; it still sounds awesome. I think Alo 16 Gold iem is tuned using Andromeda. Soundstage so massive so open; it surrounds you 270* This cable has very good synergy with Andro; it plugs its weaknesses eg: weak subbass, timber sounding odd and plasticky. Listening to saxophone and trombone give me chills; I swore I heard vibrations on guitars on songs I never heard before. Its unreal.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #30,624 of 45,723
It fits with the Benks clear tpu case, I have no idea if other cases would fit but expect that as long as it is not too bulky and leaves the wm port free it would work. You just click the wm port cable that came with the player into the stand. The dock cradle could not be used with a Dignis leather case
The Benk case on my 1Z fits the cradle perfectly. The Fat Bear case doesn’t.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #30,626 of 45,723
So I just pick up an ordered Alo Gold 16 iem 2 pin cable with 4.4mm and have been listening for about half an hour.

OMG! It sounds sooo damn good with Andromeda. It might even be better than my PW1960 cable. Very revealing, so musical, sharp bass, no bloominess, hits hard, I mean subbass hits really hard. It feels like I am rediscovering each and every note, each note is sharp and has weight behind them. Echoes feels so real, clarity and resolution up through the roof, no sheen, nothing at all. High vocal notes goes as high as the sky but not harsh, low notes are natural and clear. So damn musical and realistic. It has amazing synergy with my EQ'd stack: modded WM1Z FW 3.02 --> Oriolus BA300S amp --> Alo 16 gold iem cable --> Original Andromeda with jvc spiral dot tip. I heard a while ago, but I think my stack clarity and resolution are up to par with AK SP1K (haven't heard 2K yet), if not better, with addition of toe tapping great dynamics and musicality. I am very satisfied. I feel it can go toe in toe with EE LX and based on my own preference, likely win.

Get the Alo 16 Gold iem cable when its on discount! It's a misundertood sleeping gem of the highest order, and damn cheap during sale.

Congrats! I think I might have similar feelings. Can't get full sleep. Just keep wanting to hear next songs. Get all kinds of emotional.

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #30,628 of 45,723
Thanks for the reply. I might consider getting one then. But i also sue it as a digital source for my DAC and use the Sony WMC-NWH10 Adaptor. Don’t know if it’ll fit in the stand too.

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #30,629 of 45,723
Thanks for the reply. I might consider getting one then. But i also sue it as a digital source for my DAC and use the Sony WMC-NWH10 Adaptor. Don’t know if it’ll fit in the stand too.

this is how the cable fits

EE8EE1D1-5D5C-465A-854B-222F94637B76.jpeg

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #30,630 of 45,723
this is how the cable fits

Thanks so much for the picture. Now I can see it clearly.the NWH10 cable is much thicker than the charge cable and therefore will definitely not fit in it. Thanks once again for taking the trouble to show me up close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back