SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #30,586 of 45,723
Totally agree and that's why I was unpleasantly surprised when I saw the counter was reset by the factory restore process.

Faaactooory Reset? Like when it came from the factory? :)

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #30,587 of 45,723
And here i was happy i bought a used one with barely 500hrs clocked in 2 years...

Though person selling it seemed to be very transperent and open with all questions i had. So it might be correct. I just never asked really.

Not that it matters too much. It is looked after and does the job well

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #30,588 of 45,723
Faaactooory Reset? Like when it came from the factory? :)

Yes, the manufacturer decides what's included in a factory reset and it's quite common to have non-volatile counters/settings not touched by a factory reset process so in these cases it does not literally mean factory with all settings/counters zero'ed out like when it left the factory even though the process might be still be called factory reset or restore in the menu.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not always true that ALL settings and counters are zero'ed out after a factory restore or reset. It varies from device to device and in the case of our WM1 players, Sony chose to zero out the Music Player counter as part of the factory restore process.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #30,589 of 45,723
I guess I get what your saying except formatting storage and resetting all settings DOES do just exactly that? No? You basically never have to do a factory reset unless of some issue? There are two resets with only one clearing the hour counter? At least this is how I see it?

Yes, the manufacturer decides what's included in a factory reset and it's quite common to have non-volatile counters/settings not touched by a factory reset process so in these cases it does not literally mean factory with all settings/counters zero'ed out like when it left the factory even though the process might be still be called factory reset or restore in the menu.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not always true that ALL settings and counters are zero'ed out after a factory restore or reset. It varies from device to device and in the case of our WM1 players, Sony chose to zero out the Music Player counter as part of the factory restore process.
8E0976D7-A2A9-45CE-BE0C-E26BAEDB31BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #30,590 of 45,723
I guess I get what your saying except formatting storage and resetting all settings DOES do just exactly that? No? You basically never have to do a factory reset unless of some issue? There are two resets with only one clearing the hour counter? At least this is how I see it?

All I'm saying is that Sony did not have to clear the 'Music Played' counter as part of the 'Restore to Factory Configuration'.

You, I and other will have different opinions on this. For example a person buying an used WM1 player would probably like to know that the 'Music Played' counter reflects the true amount of time the player has been used since it was new and not the last time it was restored.

Now not all media players have a timer counter like on the WM1's and the reason for it's inclusion is only knowable by the Sony WM1 team but since it's there consumer will most likely look at it as an indication of the amount of usage the player has seen. Without clearly listing it as a 'reset-able timer' (either in the owner's manual or on the menu screen) can be misleading for those for example relying on it to make a purchase decision on an used (open box, refurbished etc ) unit.

We can argue till the cows come home whether the counter being reset is expected as part of the 'Restore to Factory Configuration' process but the point is just that, one person can say 'of course it should' and there are others like myself think that the counter should work the same way as the shutter counter on a DSLR camera - not reset-able.

Just how I see it should have been implemented on the WM1 players while others probably will feel differently or won't even care one way or another.

Back to Cyber Monday...... :)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #30,591 of 45,723
Listening to my WM1z with EE Wraith, I can hear the difference with Phase Linearizer for the first time. Maybe it's the Wraith or maybe I've been listening to the WM1z for so long now, but here are my impressions:

High - more warmth in the mid bass
Low - more sub bass presence
Standard - a little bit of both above
Type A - bass sounds centered and in front, sound stage goes a little deeper
Type B - bass is more spread out, sound stage remains about the same

I personally like the Type A Low with the Wraith. It's like having a new DAP that pairs even better! Like EQ, these are all subtle changes and best experimented with your particular headphones to find a good match. Really cool and handy feature!

I use to be in the camp of "no EQ, no DSP". My main reason was just being lazy, but also putting too much stock into "hear what the equipment/artist originally intended". Well, that sounds good on principle, but then you have to ask yourself, if you could add another 2-5% better performance to your exact personal preference for FREE, why wouldn't you?

So now I'm using both EQ (no more than +/- 2.5 dB in a couple frequencies) and Phase Linearizer. I'm going to play with the other DSP options over the next several weeks.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #30,592 of 45,723
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the sound quality or sound signature of the WM1A to the Fiio M11 Pro? I'm planning on buying a new DAP in a few weeks and wanted to get some community feedback.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #30,593 of 45,723
has anyone considered changing the battery on their WM1A/WM1Z ?

the manual says that battery is good for 500 cycles , seeing that i am currently at 3500 hours i believe i must have gone through 150-180 cycles , so i am still good i guess

my local SONY center has batteries and can do the replacement so no worries there

i still get at least 16-20 hours of each cycle which is fine but curious if/when i should probably replace the battery with a new one

thanx for any input here

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #30,594 of 45,723

the manual says that battery is good for 500 cycles , seeing that i am currently at 3500 hours i believe i must have gone through 150-180 cycles , so i am still good i guess

my local SONY center has batteries and can do the replacement so no worries there

i still get at least 16-20 hours of each cycle which is fine but curious if/when i should probably replace the battery with a new one

thanx for any input here
I have conaisered it now that i have 7000+ hours. But i want also to wait for a next release of a sony TOTL DAP and betterselling my A

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #30,595 of 45,723
I maybe wrong, but judging from ZX1 battery removal it looks like the back leather can be peeled off gently.

I saw somewhere once the leather was removed, there were some screws to remove the shielding. Since battery is soldered to the unit on 1Z/1A, I wonder if some special soldering material was used instead of the common one to reduce interference.

thanx for any input here

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #30,598 of 45,723
WM1A vs ZX507 (price no object). Which one is a better buy at 2020? Streaming is a nice bonus for ZX507 though I already have FLAC files of most of my music.

Sound quality aside, ZX-507 does not have DAC function or BT receive mode. It is truly meant to be a stand alone device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back