1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Skullar
    I asked which fw people like more not which one is right.
    Just curious what people think about it.
    As i always use bassy iems, wm1a suits me well in terms of bass quantity. What 3.02 lacks for me personally is musicality. I found it too clinical for my taste. I need to try 3.01 though.
    And yes you are right about iem choice affecting fw preference , i would also add music genre to that.

2. proedros
    if you found 3.02 too clinical , i think 3.01 will suit you better especially since you have bassy iems and not some detailed/analytical monsters

sony wm1a on W 3.01 with Zeus XR sounds nice to those ears , i found 3.02 too sterile/clinical like you

Skullar likes this.
  3. blazinblazin
    For me. 3.01 definitely has more musicality.

3.02 have more power, detail and positioning.
    But I need to reduce the volume by 2 bars to enjoy the sound coming from 3.01. After that it takes a bit time to use to.

I don't enjoy the sound if I use the same volume as when I was using 3.01.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  4. nc8000 Contributor
    It is well documented here that factory reset clears the hours played counter. I don’t understand why it has to do that though.

spanky310 likes this.
  5. Redcarmoose
    It’s......a factory reset? :)

Whitigir likes this.
  6. Whitigir
    Lol!!!! Common.... why states the obvious ?

7. Redcarmoose
    D03C4166-3AB5-4546-9170-6475A5111545.jpeg

Vitaly2017 and Whitigir like this.
  8. nc8000 Contributor
    I know, it just feels like cheating, a bit like winding the mile meter on a car back. I could theoretically do a factory reset on my 3 years old 1Z and then try to sell it as virtually new and unused

9. Whitigir
    I would say that you have a better sale with 6000 hours on the clocks.

those F-resistors and PML caps will just age beautifully with time.

10. nc8000 Contributor
    You are probably right but it is not relevant as I’m never selling

11. hamhamhamsta
    Cue *laughing tracks* ahahaha

Redcarmoose likes this.
  12. Redcarmoose
    I know, who would have guessed many of us would simply drop out with these things............not wanting anything else? It’s absolutely strange and goes against the norm at Head-Fi? This utter sedated euphoria from sound coming from an old 2016 box. Surely time will pass us by with new and bright objects of desire.....but when?

New ones with hiss. New ones with WiFi noise. Newer ones with no soul sold as “better”.........hahahhahah.

13. spanky310
    I guess one can say it's obvious a factory reset will zero out ALL settings/data but it's just as easy for Sony to make the "Music Player" counter permanent so it survives a factory reset. I guess it depends on the purpose of the counter in the eyes of the manufacturers. Just like for example in the case of a DSLR camera, a factory reset does not reset the shutter counter because the purpose of the counter is to indicate the remaining service life of the shutter and other related components, resetting/erasing it will defeat the main purpose of the counter.

There are many other examples of non-volatile counters that cannot be reset by end users but that is the only one I can come up with on this cold morning.

Have a good Cyber Monday.

danniao likes this.
  14. spanky310
    Totally agree and that's why I was unpleasantly surprised when I saw the counter was reset by the factory restore process.

15. Redcarmoose
    Faaactooory Reset? Like when it came from the factory? :)