1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. 518013
    Thank you very very much. :)

2. 518013
    1.20 firmware sounds really nice, especially on Direct Source on. Really really nice
    Scrolling is a bit choppy though.
    More bass than the 3.01, sounds fuller, and dare I say.... more coherent.
    Vocals are smooth and expressive.
    Need to do more testing, but I could live with both 1.2 and 3.01

Add: Will be sticking with the 1.2 firmware for a while, really enjoying it's presentation and sound so far. It sounds so organic and beautiful, has me lost in the music.
    I can see why people are still holding onto this firmware.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  3. Midnstorms
    lookup for my posts I have reviewed the SE output on each firmware based on what you can hear/acomplish with EQ

4. Midnstorms
    Yes it has happened to me only solution erase all tracks or most and add new ones after the firmware its installed friend! 1.20 its great!! and really powerfull and really 3D sounding!! if you can comment about 1.02?

5. SBranson

Thanks, I will. I had a meet up with another member and he knew the Sony better than I did and steered me towards the settings so I will have some fun revising the sound over the next while.

6. DatDudeNic
    These cables made me think otherwise of the wm1a's SE output. It sounds so goooooood 20191013_110657.jpg

LegionWolf, Sp12er3 and Erfan Elahi like this.
  7. emrelights1973
    İt is the Sony Turkey’s record time delivery performance to the dealer:)

8. semsal
    Dap: sony wm1z
    Out: 4.4 mm
    Firmware : former 3.01 ....now 3.02
    iems: rhapsodio zombie silver, hyla ce 5
    Cable: lab kable samurai 3 4.4mm
    Head set: Sony mdr z1r
    Kimber cable 3.5mm
    Std cable 4.4 mm

The new firmware gave me a new world!
    +
    Better placement of instruments, nice extended highs, bigger soundstage, cymbals are amazing, because of my sets, lows are better, I think better battery life for 4.4 out

-
    Highs on a dangerous limit:) it can be fatigue
    Vocals?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  9. gazzington
    What are the zombie iems like?

10. semsal

8BA+1DD; 4 mids, 4 highs, and 1DD full range
    V type
    Lows are bigger
    Warmer

11. gazzington
    Been considering zombie or solar for weeks/months/year!

DatDudeNic likes this.
  12. gerelmx1986
    Currently listening to the Serenade Grand Partita. One of the.most beautiful works by W.A. Mozart. Splendid performance of the MDR-Z1R, i am on firmware 3.01, astounding instrument timbre and placements, a full 13 winds ensemble . The dynamics also well presented. Despite this album (a volume from the then complete philips Mozart edition 1991 & 2006) wasnt recorded on a super big hall, i can hear the reverb of the room clearly. Something i never heard with other headphones it always sounded dry

They will slowly eat yur brain :ksc75smile:

Sp12er3 and emrelights1973 like this.
  13. DatDudeNic
    Have you tried the galaxy v2? Been wanting a pair myself but am discouraged by the v shape signature.

14. semsal
    I did not try

15. 518013
    After listening to all the Firmware, this is how I would rank them. with the WM1A
    2.0>1.2>3.01>1.02>3.0>3.02

2.0 has the sub-bass of the 1.2, but gets rids of a bit of the mid-bass bloat, staging is more 3D with increased depth, upper mids are reigned in a bit. Resolution is higher with more micro details.
    3.01 loses a lot of the sub-Bass of the 2.0 and 1.2. Stage width is about even on all 3 firmware updates.

2.0, 1.2, 3.01 are all that I could live with very easily, but my preferences have me looking squarely at the 2.0 at the moment.

What an awesome player the WM1A is, sound can be tuned depending on what equipment you are using.
    3.0, and 3.02 are more aimed at bassier IEMs, I am guessing the IER-ZIR and Legend X would do very well with them specifically.

Maxx134, Erfan Elahi, ttt123 and 4 others like this.