SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #28,786 of 45,723
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #28,787 of 45,723
I currently own the Lotoo Paw Gold 2017, non-touch model and a Sony NW-WM1A. I listened to the gold Sony and just can't get it out of my head. Oh, this hobby is just going to kill me.

That is a terrible malady. Sell both to get the WM1Z?
A year ago, I had a terrible yearning for the Z. But it's weight was a serious deal breaker since I take my player everywhere.
Got the A, grew to love it very quickly and after I got the Proj K mod done, never thought about the Z again.
Been seeing some good deals for a Z popping up and have been tempted again, but I just KNOW I'll not take it out with me as much on account of the weight.
And if I wanted something to be used at home, there's the DMP to consider... :beyersmile: Yeah, right! That's so way out of my league!

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #28,788 of 45,723
I currently own the Lotoo Paw Gold 2017, non-touch model and a Sony NW-WM1A. I listened to the gold Sony and just can't get it out of my head. Oh, this hobby is just going to kill me.
Once you crave the Sony house sound, there is nothing like it. Your rabbit holes is just beginning.....and don’t ever try that DMP....LOL

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #28,790 of 45,723
A year ago, I had a terrible yearning for the Z. But it's weight was a serious deal breaker since I take my player everywhere.
Got the A, grew to love it very quickly and after I got the Proj K mod done, never thought about the Z again.
Been seeing some good deals for a Z popping up and have been tempted again, but I just KNOW I'll not take it out with me as much on account of the weight.
And if I wanted something to be used at home, there's the DMP to consider... :beyersmile: Yeah, right! That's so way out of my league!
Even the Wm1A Built Quality is better than GT, again...except the power output. The price for WM1Z is just right for it Built quality, the 1A is a bargain for it Built quality.

I had plan to modify a WM1A to perform even better than WM1Z stock, but I never executed it as I crave more power. I was about to lose my mind , but DMP came out and the price tag “stunt” me for a while, then I woke up and the next thing I know....
65634042-A475-444C-B000-AC4F45B2DE41.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #28,791 of 45,723

I always keep my players because I have the small problem of schizophrenic ears. I go weeks with just absolutely hating the way my Paw Gold sounds, and then all the sudden it just sounds great. I do have to admit the 1A is the player that I like most consistently. I also love my QP1R on occasion. Very strange thing but it's like my ears get in the mood for different sound signatures, and then move on to the next.

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #28,792 of 45,723
Once you crave the Sony house sound, there is nothing like it. Your rabbit holes is just beginning.....and don’t ever try that DMP....LOL

I am staying away from that one purposefully.

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #28,793 of 45,723

I am not familiar with that mod, but I assume it really improved it for you.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #28,794 of 45,723
They're not cheap, but compared to other parts of the hobby, they're not expensive either. And while shipping may take a week or more, it's unlikely to take a whole month. Surely you won't be throwing your WM1A out the window in that time.
:beyersmile:
Expensive in relation to other things, definitely not. The month time is assuming EMS to Canada Post.

He probably will not, but his wife may ? Who knows ? LOL
LOL she might given the number of IEMs I jumped around in the last month if not for the 1k cable.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #28,795 of 45,723
Expensive in relation to other things, definitely not. The month time is assuming EMS to Canada Post.

LOL she might given the number of IEMs I jumped around in the last month if not for the 1k cable.
LOL! I see, so now I start to understand your avatar. Each puppy is a mistake forgiven from her :D !

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #28,797 of 45,723
Even the Wm1A Built Quality is better than GT, again...except the power output. The price for WM1Z is just right for it Built quality, the 1A is a bargain for it Built quality.

I had plan to modify a WM1A to perform even better than WM1Z stock, but I never executed it as I crave more power. I was about to lose my mind , but DMP came out and the price tag “stunt” me for a while, then I woke up and the next thing I know....

What’s the amp - I guess ? - on the right of the table beside the DMP1Z please ?
Thanks

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #28,800 of 45,723
I don't think I could swing the DMP. I plan on using Shure SRH1540 headphones most of the time. They seem to power well with the 1A

Maybe Sony are planning a DAP that uses some of the technology from the DMP. I know desk top gear is superior but part of the appeal of owning a portable player is being able to walk around, do jobs etc with all my music to hand.
The WM1Z is a few years old now, might it be worth waiting for the next generation player which shouldn't be far off? Have you listened to the QP2R?
Also I've wondered about buying a player that's been in a shop for a few years would the battery have degraded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back