SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #28,771 of 45,723
I have gone through both, for IEMS, I would grab 1Z. If I had headphones, I would grab GT

In fact I only use headphones, and I don’t really like the GT....so I grabbed DMP Z1 instead

I hope I answered the question

I don't think I could swing the DMP. I plan on using Shure SRH1540 headphones most of the time. They seem to power well with the 1A

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #28,773 of 45,723
Okay, Lotoo Paw Gold vs Sony NW-WM1Z? What do you like better, and why?

Yes, I know I'm being a pain in the ass tonight but I have some things going through my mind...

The 1Z is overall a better device in my opinion, in term of UI, Design and of course battery. The weight is something you get used to. The only better thing in the UI which the LPGT has is the search function but frankly I do not use it that often. With respect to sound, they have very different sound signature so it is a matter of preference if you mostly use IEMs. Personally I think the 1z will age better than the LPGT. LPGT is still an excellent DAP with a very pleasing and detailed sound, really you need to try both if your main criteria is how they sound and preferably try a 1z which has several hundred hours of burn in.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #28,775 of 45,723
The 1Z is overall a better device in my opinion, in term of UI, Design and of course battery. The weight is something you get used too. The only better thing in the UI which the LPGT has is the search function but frankly I do not use it that often. With respect to sound, they have very different sound signature so it is a matter of preference if you mostly use IEMs. Personally I think the 1z will age better than the LPGT. LPGT is still an excellent DAP with a very pleasing and detailed sound, really you need to try both if your main criteria is how they sound and preferably try a 1z which has several hundred hours of burn in.
I heard that LPGT have more power output than Wm1Z. Is it true with you???

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #28,776 of 45,723
Contact cement. The kind used for leather. You should be able to find it in any hardware store. Same stuff used for shoe repair.

Oh geez, I used super glue. That seems to be holding

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #28,777 of 45,723
Is anybody using the Fatbear Sony case? Does it seem to protect it while from scratches?
The Fatbear case has thick walls all around. So yes it protects the WM1A/Z v well from scratches and dings.
Someone speculated that dust could get between the case and the player and cause scratches that way.
While that's is possible, I don't experience it coz take the player out and switch cases every couple of months.further more, it's not thrown in a backpack or carried in jeans pocket to collect lint and gunk.
My WM1A gets either a leather Dignis case or a Fatbear. Then it goes into a Van Nuys case. If a case is dirty when I remove my player, it gets cleaned so dirt doesn't accumulate.

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #28,778 of 45,723
Yes there is a big difference here but I have only one pair of headphone which is the Utopias which are not really hard to drive so the impact for me is minimal. The only time I really need the power of LPGT more than of 1Z is when I feed my WA8 in analog in which case if I use a very thick cable the 1Z may be a bit short. [edit] Indeed, there are some IEMs which may prove hard to drive for 1z, just tested the Tin P1 on it and you can basically listen to them in High Gain setting at maximum level without it being uncomfortable by all means [edit]

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #28,779 of 45,723
The Fatbear case has thick walls all around. So yes it protects the WM1A/Z v well from scratches and dings.
Someone speculated that dust could get between the case and the player and cause scratches that way.
While that's is possible, I don't experience it coz take the player out and switch cases every couple of months.further more, it's not thrown in a backpack or carried in jeans pocket to collect lint and gunk.
My WM1A gets either a leather Dignis case or a Fatbear. Then it goes into a Van Nuys case. If a case is dirty when I remove my player, it gets cleaned so dirt doesn't accumulate.

For the past few years I've been protecting it like this. It still looks brand new...

1214180637.jpg

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #28,780 of 45,723
It does have more powerful output than WM1Z. But the one thing I do not like about the GT is that it uses too much DSP for playing back PCM, where as the WM1Z does not. The warmth and analog from WM1Z comes from it hardware genuinely, while the GT comes from all the DSP. So, the question would be authentic ? Or artificial ? To me the GT has a similar analog and warmth signature but with very different approach, in a way that render the GT with it own uniqueness that is by itself.

I later found out about what hardware were put together to build the GT and it only further confirmed my findings from a combinations of : GT own DSD engine, DSD file, PCM file, critically listening , analyzing hardware.

Another thing to note is that GT uses Ribbon Cables internally, and the 1Z has the Kimber Cables. For the same pricing bracket, and if you understand what any quality internal components should look like that is dedicated to music, the 1Z would laugh at the GT

Yes, one can argue that GT uses Black fin DSP chip and their own OS with AK4497EQ. Well! WM1Z uses Sony unique proprietary DSP chip, and Walkman OS, S-Master HX. There really is no hardware and engineering competitions here between the 2 devices.

It will all come down to your preferences, so you will have to judge them both side by side and for yourself with your favorite track and headphones or ear buds. If I was to pick something that isn’t a Sony, I would pick Ibasso DX220 which I do have, but if I had to pick something more expensive with better built, I would Pick Cayin N8

That is my own opinion :)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #28,781 of 45,723
I kinda wish that cases don't cost an arm and a leg and ship from Asia. I either damage the device before they arrive and they have a high chance of taking too long and beng partially broken
They're not cheap, but compared to other parts of the hobby, they're not expensive either. And while shipping may take a week or more, it's unlikely to take a whole month. Surely you won't be throwing your WM1A out the window in that time.
:beyersmile:

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #28,782 of 45,723
They're not cheap, but compared to other parts of the hobby, they're not expensive either. And while shipping may take a week or more, it's unlikely to take a whole month. Surely you won't be throwing your WM1A out the window in that time.
:beyersmile:
He probably will not, but his wife may ? Who knows ? LOL

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #28,784 of 45,723
It does have more powerful output than WM1Z. But the one thing I do not like about the GT is that it uses too much DSP for playing back PCM, where as the WM1Z does not. The warmth and analog from WM1Z comes from it hardware genuinely, while the GT comes from all the DSP. So, the question would be authentic ? Or artificial ? To me the GT has a similar analog and warmth signature but with very different approach, in a way that render the GT with it own uniqueness that is by itself.

I later found out about what hardware were put together to build the GT and it only further confirmed my findings from a combinations of : GT own DSD engine, DSD file, PCM file, critically listening , analyzing hardware.

Another thing to note is that GT uses Ribbon Cables internally, and the 1Z has the Kimber Cables. For the same pricing bracket, and if you understand what any quality internal components should look like that is dedicated to music, the 1Z would laugh at the GT

Yes, one can argue that GT uses Black fin DSP chip and their own OS with AK4497EQ. Well! WM1Z uses Sony unique proprietary DSP chip, and Walkman OS, S-Master HX. There really is no hardware and engineering competitions here between the 2 devices.

It will all come down to your preferences, so you will have to judge them both side by side and for yourself with your favorite track and headphones or ear buds. If I was to pick something that isn’t a Sony, I would pick Ibasso DX220 which I do have, but if I had to pick something more expensive with better built, I would Pick Cayin N8

That is my own opinion :)

I currently own the Lotoo Paw Gold 2017, non-touch model and a Sony NW-WM1A. I listened to the gold Sony and just can't get it out of my head. Oh, this hobby is just going to kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back