SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #28,216 of 45,723
I have not heard N8 Brass Black....but I can tell you that the DMP pulls ahead of many devices, you will not regret it If you already love WM1Z

The better the components quality, the more apparent that WAV from CD is better than FLAC files, and this is why I am sticking with WAV. May be I should just look at the VU-meters instead of the Album Art LOL!

I should think that will very much depend on implementation

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #28,217 of 45,723
There are some pretty SERIOUS high end two channel companies, which some VERY large R&D departments, selling five figure $ components that absolutely do not agree with the above statement.
Companies will put up debate to sell their own products. They don’t have to be wrong or rights as long as they are a can of worms. For example, the battle between DSD and PCM, the debate Rob Wat and his MScaler is putting up. I have experienced 2 instances that DSD sound better than PCM and where PCM sound better than DSD. Yep, definitely a can of worm. On the DMP just like Walkman, PCM always sound better than DSD. Just for my own ears and preferences, Wav is better than flac on DMP
I should think that will very much depend on implementation
Yes sir!

Here is a snapshot of what sciences says about “everything effect sound quality”....basically every components has Transfer Fuction and every existence in this universe is Imperfect, whenever a signal pass through it, the outcome is slightly different
9E1BBB48-3FEA-4168-82C7-8BF479B684BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #28,218 of 45,723
The better the components quality, the more apparent that WAV from CD is better than FLAC files, and this is why I am sticking with WAV. May be I should just look at the VU-meters instead of the Album Art LOL!

I'm 99.9999999% certain this can only happen if the WAV that is being converted into a flac isn't the same as the WAV you are comparing the flac to, or if the flac CODEC hasn't been implemented properly in the firmware. it would be like unzipping a normal file on your computer and not getting what was zipped up in the first place.

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #28,219 of 45,723
Witigir
You make quite a few postings on Headfi with some interesting technical observations - can you please provide us with some of your background - ie. are you in the industry, have an EE degree, involved with component design or research for a living - like someone such as Rob Watts, John Silau from Benchmark, etc? Or are you strictly a hobbyist? Obviously respectfully asking.

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #28,220 of 45,723
I'm 99.9999999% certain this can only happen if the WAV that is being converted into a flac isn't the same as the WAV you are comparing the flac to, or if the flac CODEC hasn't been implemented properly in the firmware. it would be like unzipping a normal file on your computer and not getting what was zipped up in the first place.

It’s quite possible that there could be differences amonst other because the “unzipping” of the flac is extra processing so it all comes down to implementation

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #28,221 of 45,723
It’s quite possible that there could be differences amonst other because the “unzipping” of the flac is extra processing so it all comes down to implementation

EXACTLY - this is a frequent explanation that many of the high end companies have given - and it makes perfect sense. Some high end components have unbelievably strong internal processing components which can handle this. As such they can easily handle multiple file formats and not have it effect playback quality.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #28,222 of 45,723
EXACTLY - this is a frequent explanation that many of the high end companies have given - and it makes perfect sense. Some high end components have unbelievably strong internal processing components which can handle this. As such they can easily handle multiple file formats and not have it effect playback quality.

I remember the Colorfly C4 dap, it could handle wav up to 24/96 but flac only to 16/48 as the processor didn’t have the power to “unzip” higher resolution

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #28,223 of 45,723
Witigir
You make quite a few postings on Headfi with some interesting technical observations - can you please provide us with some of your background - ie. are you in the industry, have an EE degree, involved with component design or research for a living - like someone such as Rob Watts, John Silau from Benchmark, etc? Or are you strictly a hobbyist? Obviously respectfully asking.

Let’s just say this is my hobby, and I have some undisclosed technical background (enough to work with stuff). My ears though and this hobby is quiet something else.....it started out as I heard the differences, observed....then I had to find things to study about it so that it can make senses to me

I am only technical enough to build my Stax KG T2 amp from a Printed circuit board, nothing more than that :). Like turning something like this, into this ? But that is nothing to sneeze at.

I am learning every day
42449F26-8CE7-4E81-B01E-4E0E89B5EC50.jpeg 14594286-FB2C-433F-95E8-7997D6AE091A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #28,224 of 45,723
Witigir
Understood.
In a respectful way perhaps some of your various technical explanations might not necessarily have a firm scientific foundation as they come from your "studies". In this case some of the white papers put forth by the various manufacturers might be more valid as they are usually supported with firm scientific research and statistical measurements from their R&D departments.

Sorry for the digression.

Jun 2, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #28,226 of 45,723
Witigir
Understood.
In a respectful way perhaps some of your various technical explanations might not necessarily have a firm scientific foundation as they come from your "studies". In this case some of the white papers put forth by the various manufacturers might be more valid as they are usually supported with firm scientific research and statistical measurements from their R&D departments.

Sorry for the digression.
No worry, I don’t post stuff as something that set in stones. I post up stuff from my observations and what I have learned by far. There are so many high end manufacturers who don’t even mention about eliminating jitters from capacitors and the resistors accuracy, and what it can do to digital music. It is amazing though, I can say one thing is that as long as your products is at unbelievable price, most of the time people will buy all of what you are telling them

You want some documents about PML and it ability to eliminate jitters or noises ? As a capacitor...here is some. You will find the majority of them inside the DMP
4D8A0092-4579-42EC-92DA-53B4707EF5DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #28,227 of 45,723
It is amazing though, I can say one thing is that as long as your products is at unbelievable price, most of the time people will buy all of what you are telling them

I think most who are buying TOTL are frequently completing their due diligence and purchasing after a substantial demo. I don't know many who are investing that kind of money into high end who do not do so.

Geographical differences often play a part as well. In the UK it is not uncommon for many dealers to give at home demos - especially with speakers.
Naim and Linn, the two worldwide most respected UK manufacturers, require dealers to HOME INSTALL any systems sold to customers in order to ensure the performance is as the manufacturer intended.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #28,228 of 45,723
Jun 2, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #28,229 of 45,723
I think most who are buying TOTL are frequently completing their due diligence and purchasing after a substantial demo. I don't know many who are investing that kind of money into high end who do not do so.

You would be surprised how many people barely as much as have a clue as to what they are buying.

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #28,230 of 45,723
Dang it...Sony media center can also tag album art in WAV...when import to Walkman and it is no display....what in the world ? Seriously ? Name, tags, artist...etc...work...but no art ? There has to be a way
Why not use AIFF since it supports art work and tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back