1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. nc8000 Contributor
    It's not a question of being lossless, both formats will in the end produce the same lossless bitstream if implemented correctly, the question is about the steps needed to produce that bitstream and how those steps might affect the sound on any given device.

I have personally never been able to hear any difference but I’m also not blessed/cursed with golden ears but I’m certainly not denying that somebody whith better or more acute or trained hearing than mine could hear differences

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. Redcarmoose
    Your missing his point. Also it doesn’t matter really as we are all prone to expectation bias. There is also a whole wing of psychology which deals with the mystery of perception and it starts to explain the stuff we agree and argue about in the audiophile world. The best advice is use understandings and learn from them but allow others to come to their own conclusions on stuff. Basically no one is wrong if they perceive things as better. Our perception of the universe is intimately our very own!

Science both confirms and disputes what I have written above.

equalspeace, Whitigir and Kitechaser like this.
  3. ttt123
    As you say, this statement is an opinion, a "might be", and not a fact.
    - large R&D department/lots of measurements and graphs, are all supporting their own bias and beliefs, and commercial goals. i.e. CDs/CD Players are perfect, etc., as we were told ad nauseam when they were introduced.
    - Galileo, the Wright Brothers, were wrong, because the established, and the accepted "science" said that they were wrong
    There are so many examples of the above.....due to our knowledge/science and tools being in a constant state of change, as we understand more.
    True, our tools, and measurements are what we have, and we need to use something for our base. However, if history and science have taught us anything, it is to question everything, and keep an open mind.

For me, observation and personal experience are not overridden by measurements. Discrepancies indicate that further work is needed, and that maybe new understanding, and different measurements need to be developed.

Of course, we need to question whether what we have observed could be explained by other factors. Did we compare properly, or did we compare apples to oranges? Is there anything that could have affected our perception, (changes, environmental, power, ear wax, bad connection, emotion, argument with your boss, wife, etc.)

And yes, we can be wrong in our opinion. That can happen to anybody. But that also holds true for the big department of experts, with tons of measurements, proving that they are right. Experts are right (and refuse to accept contrary evidence) until they are wrong, and sometimes, it takes an inordinate amount of proof, and time, before they grudgingly admit that they "may" be wrong . They are just as (or even more) opinionated and stubborn as everybody else, as they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, so they have no magical qualities of being able to judge right or wrong better than an experienced layman.

So if experience and observation tells us that something is different than what we are told is the "truth", that is a sign for us to look at it more, and to try to understand better. Definitely not a "fact" to tell us to stop looking. And it is not "scientific" for some "experts" to say we are delusional, because there is no explanation for it based on our current understanding of science. Science is steadily evolving and changing, after all, as is the world.

Kitechaser, jcdreamer and Whitigir like this.
  4. Whitigir
    Here is DMP and her real and main purposes :)

2D4B409F-A42E-4C9C-989A-14D6F8CED280.jpeg

danniao, normie610, bden59 and 8 others like this.
  5. meomap
    Is that tube amp for Stax only?

Hyde8767 likes this.
  6. Whitigir
    Yes sir, Stax legendary KG-T2 amp with legendary Quad XF2 :D. Basically, it is for Electro-stat headphones as it can drive Voces too

7. Luisonic
    Sweeeeeet gear!

Whitigir likes this.
  8. meomap
    I am jealous of your system.

20190424_172135.jpg

rtjoa and Whitigir like this.
  9. SLMStyles
    I know the remote (RMT-NWS20) is a JDM product, but does it work with USDM WM1A's purchased in the States? From searching this thread, I see that some people are using it, but I'm not sure if they're "vanilla" US Walkmen or international ones w/ the hacked/updated software. I swear I read in a post a while back that the remotes wouldn't work with the US models. (Just want to 100% confirm prior to ordering one). -Thanks!

10. Stephen George
    the settings need to include "bluetooth remote" (separate from "normal" BT)...i think when I got mine, the US firmware did not include this option...(just use the FW tool and make your walkman the international version...

11. SLMStyles
    Wouldn't that also implement the volume-limitation? (or can that be toggled independently)

12. nc8000 Contributor
    The volume limitation is only in the EU region

13. gerelmx1986
    Very nice lute music
    15598248019952648752572754428214.jpg

Whitigir likes this.
  14. silvahr
    How many hours do you have on your WM1A?

15. gerelmx1986
    15598266963983082966803585700345.jpg
    Almost 6200 hours :D