1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. nc8000 Contributor
    It’s a Musical Fidelity X-Can V1 or V2 if it is the one in the picture. It is an 10-15 year old design but one that lends itself to loads of mods

siruspan likes this.
  2. BaltColts
    Thanks. I got confused because it looks like there is something connected between the WM1A and the Musical Fidelity X-Can? Is there and how would it perform without it? Thanks again

3. siruspan
    Musical Fidelity X-Can V2. I bought it on ebay 2 or 3 years ago for 70 something dollars, but it's as desktop amp however it's still not as heavy as WM1Z

4. siruspan
    Oh that's energizer for Shure KSE1200 that I'm using.

5. Leetransform25
    This has probably been discussed already, but do we know if we'll get an update to the WM series later this year? What things would you want in the WM2A and WM2Z (Assuming that's what they'll be called)? I know many dislike the WM port but IMO I don't mind it that much, not to mention if it's switched to USB-C we may no longer get that long battery life we get with Sony DAPs. Just a speculation of mine.

6. BaltColts
    Can anyone recommend a small portable amp that takes WM1A to WM1Z or Calyx M levels? Thanks.

7. Aeskualpio
    I’ve not compared it to the 1Z or the Calyx, but I’ve connected the Monoprice AAA THX to the 1A with great results and the Little Bear B4 Tube amp with good results.

8. LeFaucon
    Which «level » are you talking about...?
    Otherwise you have the Oriolus BA300S : perfect !

captblaze likes this.
  9. Kitechaser
    So I have been switching back and forth between Direct source, and Direct Source off (but with all DSP options turned off).
    Direct source seems to have a higher mid bass response and is lower on microdetails.

Direct source off, is this the Sony house sound?

10. Shivas
    Is there any measured spec on the channel separation for the WM1A?

11. gerelmx1986
    I tried to log-in to the accessory Jack website but they seem to have deleted my account after two years of no purchases or no login. Any ways I created a new one

12. mmwwmm
    Could somebody please post a very close up pic of the 1A/1Z Pentaconn 4.4 plug? It seems the edge of the Pentaconn plug it’s not perfectly smooth in the Sonys I have had at hand and I want to check it. I have read some posts in this thread confirming this issue with pics showing it but I can’t find them.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  13. gerelmx1986
    Here
    15585248005303685992936786288321.jpg

mmwwmm likes this.
  14. nc8000 Contributor
    On my 1Z the brass rings on both the 4.4 and 3.5 are probably about 1mm raised above the the top of the player and then the rim of the actual plug holes are again a fraction raised above the brass rings

mmwwmm likes this.
  15. womwomwom
    Does anyone have a link to what exactly the DSP options like the various DC phase linearizer settings do? Sony's answers in the manual are a little vague.