1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. mwhals
    I am using level 5 too. The math makes more sense now that I know you have 767 GB and my exact count is 9,706 songs.

2. rabidsquid
    I have just received the card. Initial testing shows the card at least works when formatted by WM1A and with a single ALAC album. Will report performance after transferring 800GB overnight.

proedros, gerelmx1986, nc8000 and 2 others like this.
  3. gerelmx1986
    For music I have circa 1,14TB

4. nc8000 Contributor
    If I include my hires files I’m at 1.5TB but downsampled to red book I have about 900GB so a 1TB card will be ideal

5. bflat
    A 1 TB mSD card is a game changer IMHO. This will allow:

1) Small transport like Shanling M0 to feed a portable DAC like Chord H2, essentially turning it into a DAP. Yes, Chord is working on a poly module but it does not have a built in UI - only works with a mobile app.
    2) Your Android phone as a transport (assuming it has a mSD slot) is now completely viable.
    3) You have enough storage to hold offline conversions of PCM to DSD using sophisticated software and filter options like HQPlayer.
    4) Future DAP considerations of 1 or 2 mSD slots is a lesser concern.

The irony of this is that the market demand for high capacity mSD cards is not coming from audiophiles. It's coming from the explosion of 4K videographers - both professional and amateur.

Personally for me, my entire library is about 700 GB which has taken 20+ years to accumulate so no pressing need at the moment to upgrade. Even when I purchase new albums, a lot of times it is a remaster of one of my existing albums which I replace with the hi-res version.

6. gerelmx1986
    Yes that's also my 1.14TB are both hi-res FLAC , CD FLAC, and DSD files. With the 1TB card I could carry all my music in 16/44.1 that a very nice convenient capacity

7. rabidsquid
    Update on the new Sandisk 1TB card (apologies if it's too much geek data, but I had the info):
    • Total time to copy 773.81 GB library to card: 2 hours 56 minutes (source was external USB 3 SSD drive to USB 3 card reader).
    • Total time for WM1A to read card and create database: 5 minutes 50 seconds.
    • Library Details:
      • 8924 ALAC .m4a files (I'm guessing I'll catch hell for the format. At one time I was using iTunes to organize... ‍♂️)
        • Approximate breakdown (I know the numbers don't add up):
        • 4800 @ 24/96
        • 700 @ 24/192
        • 570 @ 24/44.1
        • 350 @ 16/44.1
        • 350 @ 24/88.2
        • 299 @ 24/48
        • 12 @ 24/176.4
      • 240 .dsf files
      • 5 .aiff files
    I have seen little to no lag in browsing albums, tracks, artists. This is so nice to have my entire library in one place!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

8. Redcarmoose
    Your ALAC files are sonically identical to FLAC, so I don’t know why someone would give you heck. I will give you heck as my 400GB card arriving next month seems so passé now!

9. rabidsquid
    Well, it’s interesting, my last DAP was the Astell & Kern AK120 Titan. The reason I have 5 .aiff files in my library is the AK120 could not play the 24/192 ALAC version of Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue from HDTracks without stuttering. After converting those tracks to .aiff I had no performance issues on the AK120 and iTunes could still recognize the files.

Wondering if the WM1A performs better with FLAC...

I have not tried the ALAC, stuttering version on WM1A.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. bflat
    I had a couple hi res ALAC files that would not play on AK DAPs with SP1000 being the latest. Could not figure why some tracks had issues while other tracks in the same album played fine. Same ALAC albums on Sony DAPs have no issues at all so I don't think you should worry about using ALAC.

ALAC haters still believe it's proprietary Apple codec when in fact it has been open source since 2011. Fairly recent compared to FLAC which came out in 2001 so there are is more history of FLAC in the open source community. Apple is rarely mentioned with open source in the same sentence so understandably there is a lot of bias against Apple in those communities.

11. gerelmx1986
    Where are you from? I have been checking Amazon Germany, still no 1TB , only the 512GB but it says it will be dispatch able in one to three months

12. nc8000 Contributor
    Same in UK. I expect to pick one up in September when I go to UK

13. Lookout57
    I've had it on order at Amazon US since they opened ordering. They originally stated it would be available 4/29 but it's now showing unavailable.

14. rabidsquid
    Hi guys, I'm in the US and ordered directly from Sandisk via this link: https://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdis...2044100/SanDisk-Extreme-microSD-UHSI-Card-1TB

It shipped from Wisconsin to Michigan in 1 day. Unfortunately, they appear to be out of stock.

The article I saw mentioned it was available from Amazon Spain, UK, and Germany, but those also appear to be out of stock: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sandisk-1-tb-microsd-card,news-30079.html

I guess I got lucky.

DKNTy, proedros and Aslshark like this.
  15. Jalo
    I have just posted that following post in the DMP-Z1 thread, I hope the next version of WM1Z will increase power output by at least ten times.

“The only quality missing with the WM1Z which is the same as the DMP is the relative lower output power. The recent crop of DAPs all have much higher amping power. Like the Cayin N8, Ibasso DX220, LPGT etc. with the most rediculous one being the AK Khan Cube. The Khan Cube has 12 Vrms that is equal to a whopping 4.8 watts into 30 ohm, 3.6 watts into 40 ohm, 2.4 watts into 60 ohm and even at 100 ohm it will give 1.4 watts of driving power. In addition to these amazing driving power, the unit used for these rating is Volt per root mean square (rms), meaning that the rating refers to is average driving power and not peak or maximum power something very different from ratings that use maximum output. In other words let say if it is a 6 Vrms into 30 ohm it will have 1.2 watt but in critical moment it will actually deliver 1.7 watts of power giving much better headroom.”