SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #27,872 of 45,723
Just try Qobuz + UAPP in USB DAC mode today and what a nice surprised. Bit-perfect is doing really excellent job with SQ. Noticable better than just Qobuz app alone. I went through older posts and someone mentioned back in around January I think. Big thanks!

May 10, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #27,873 of 45,723
Thanks for your both recommendation and thought. Actually my DACMagic is connected to HIFI system, not Deck DAC. I would think about investing a good DDC in future by looking at its price and I have an alternative plan as below but off topic.

Just came across my mind and found this Fiio K3 , not sure if it will work .

From their website, K3 can direct convert any USB audio (WM1A USB DAC) input to coaxial or optical digital output, then I can connect this to my DacMagic , correct me if I am wrong? K3 is with XMOS USB receiver chip, this may be a good cheaper solution? @bflat @Whitigir, appreciate your input and advise.

K3-Optical digital Out.jpg

May 10, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #27,874 of 45,723
Just came across my mind and found this Fiio K3 , not sure if it will work .

From their website, K3 can direct convert any USB audio (WM1A USB DAC) input to coaxial or optical digital output, then I can connect this to my DacMagic , correct me if I am wrong? K3 is with XMOS USB receiver chip, this may be a good cheaper solution? @bflat @Whitigir, appreciate your input and advise.

I realize now that any DDC that you want to use with the WM1a may not work if it is powered by the USB, meaning power must come from the WM1a. I would go with a self powered DDC for best results. Also the K3 is USB powered DAC so may not have enough power from the WM1a to work. Have no idea what the audio quality of the optical output is, but guessing it's at best mediocre given the price.

Anyway, I'm completely unfamiliar with the external DAC you are trying to use but given it's limitation on inputs, it's probably pretty dated and quite possible a lower quality audio than your WM1a so not sure what you are trying to accomplish. In fact the K3 may be a better DAC that the old one you have.

May 10, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #27,877 of 45,723
ok, this is starting to annoy me. Is there a way to turn the WM1z off while it is still connected to power? Even when I power down, it immediately turns back on.

May 10, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #27,878 of 45,723
ok, this is starting to annoy me. Is there a way to turn the WM1z off while it is still connected to power? Even when I power down, it immediately turns back on.

No

May 10, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #27,879 of 45,723
May 10, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #27,885 of 45,723
I have a question. I often listen to music in the kitchen on this Marshall Woburn powered speaker. With having the WM1Z now, what is the best avenue of getting the best possible sound... for what it's worth.

1) There is a 3.5 std jack on top, that comes with the (as shown) coiled cable. Stay with this means, 3.5 std but get a different cable?_________. if so, what is a good choice (need a 2ft length) ?______

2) OR... Any sound advantage to using the RCA jacks or the Optical on the back, over the 3.5 std for sound ?_______

3) Would the 4.4 Balanced out on the WM1Z to the Woburn, i.e. 3.5 std jack do anything better for quality ?___________ (or completely dumb question)

20190510_172341_resized.jpg 20190510_170647.jpg 20190510_170746_resized.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back