SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #27,391 of 45,723
I am intending to buy the upcoming 1TB sandisk microsd card for my 1Z. I like to hear from anyone who may get it before me how it works and what format should we do with the card to make it runs better in the 1Z. So so excited to have a 1.256 TB 1Z.
So Sony says its dap will be able to read all those folders ?

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #27,392 of 45,723
I am intending to buy the upcoming 1TB sandisk microsd card for my 1Z. I like to hear from anyone who may get it before me how it works and what format should we do with the card to make it runs better in the 1Z. So so excited to have a 1.256 TB 1Z.
Best bet is to format the card in the 1Z. That way it will be in the format the player likes best.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #27,393 of 45,723
So Sony says its dap will be able to read all those folders ?
No, but theoretically all the new daps should be or are capable to read up to 2 TB. That is the theoretical and practical limit of the microsd format. That is why I ask.

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #27,394 of 45,723
Hi All,

As a new owner of the Sony NW-WM1A, I now ask myself – what took me this long to pull the trigger!?

I love the WM1A so much that I went and bought the Sony Balanced Cable (MUC-S12SB1) to go between the WM1A and my existing Oppo PM-3 headphones… and that’s when the issue starts….

Does anyone know if the MUC-S12SB1 is suitable for all headphones? Or is its compatibility limited to Sony headphones only?

Reason for the query is that with the MUC-S12SB1 the sound comes through the PM-3 in mono with no left/right separation whatsoever (What the???)

Or is there some settings I need to adjust on the WM1A to enable L/R separation? I’ve tried “High Gain Output” with nil effect.

If anyone can share some light as to whether it’s the cable, the player, or my headphones, that would be greatly appreciated (and put my out of my misery). BTW, L/R separation broadcast beautifully via the 3.5mm jack

Many thanks.

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #27,396 of 45,723
A0D06A3E-72FE-4A95-A994-6933F63975D9.jpeg
0C23F95C-E00C-49A6-BEB3-623D0EC291BE.jpeg

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #27,398 of 45,723
Hi All,

As a new owner of the Sony NW-WM1A, I now ask myself – what took me this long to pull the trigger!?

I love the WM1A so much that I went and bought the Sony Balanced Cable (MUC-S12SB1) to go between the WM1A and my existing Oppo PM-3 headphones… and that’s when the issue starts….

Does anyone know if the MUC-S12SB1 is suitable for all headphones? Or is its compatibility limited to Sony headphones only?

Reason for the query is that with the MUC-S12SB1 the sound comes through the PM-3 in mono with no left/right separation whatsoever (What the???)

Or is there some settings I need to adjust on the WM1A to enable L/R separation? I’ve tried “High Gain Output” with nil effect.

If anyone can share some light as to whether it’s the cable, the player, or my headphones, that would be greatly appreciated (and put my out of my misery). BTW, L/R separation broadcast beautifully via the 3.5mm jack

Many thanks.

I quickly looked at that cable. It’s a balanced cable for a 3.5mm balanced input. So it’s simple really. Your 4.4mm Pentaconn plug has 5 poles but only 4 are used. It’s +- then +- to the other end which is a balance 3.5mm plug that also has +- and +-. Your headphones are not balanced but single ended because they share a common ground for both right and left channels. So it would look like this ++- and the other end ++-. So it will not work.

So your best with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm standard single ended cable.

So your cable is specifically for the MDR-1A. In fact I just read about a member hooking his up with a balanced cable. There maybe other 3.5mm balanced plug headphones out there besides Sony, but I don’t know what they would be?

Your 1A will sound great single ended with your current headphones just get a regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #27,400 of 45,723
ive seen some reports of it thats why im asking lol
And the solution is just a factory reset. Worst come to worse, you still have 3.5 output to use. I suggest to just enjoy the wm1a while you can, it is one of the best dap player out there.

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #27,401 of 45,723
ive seen some reports of it thats why im asking lol

If these types of "reports" bother you because of the expense and inconvenience that can come out of it, best advice is to not buy at all. Sort of like don't buy a house if you can't deal the inevitable maintenance that comes with it. Electronics fail, it's a fact of life. They also get stolen too, but it's amazing to me how there are so few "reports" about that.

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #27,402 of 45,723
If these types of "reports" bother you because of the expense and inconvenience that can come out of it, best advice is to not buy at all. Sort of like don't buy a house if you can't deal the inevitable maintenance that comes with it. Electronics fail, it's a fact of life. They also get stolen too, but it's amazing to me how there are so few "reports" about that.
Anyone experienced the balanced issue where no sound out of balanced output? not that im experienced it but i certanly fear the day i conect a balanced iem... thats why I ask

I had a similar issue with my balanced output. For some strange reason I was getting lower output and subdued highs, I spent a few weeks troubleshooting cables, IEM's. I finally called Sony support, they recommended I set my player back to factory settings, I was hesitant but ended up doing so, sure enough it fixed the issue. Not sure what may have caused it, my guess is it happened when upgrading to 3.01 when it was released but I can't be sure.

Sony was in the process of getting me a new unit (warranty) before this was resolved, kudos to their 2nd level tech team for troubleshooting tips. I'm also keeping an 'ear' on this issue, hoping it doesn't arise again if it does Sony has left the case open, allowing me to exchange the unit.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #27,403 of 45,723
Hi All,

Many thanks.

Double Helix Molecule, balanced and built for the WM1A and PM-3.

9tJlUOoQv8jVgzxTArkeE4Fx1CmZT3xLjG1zARSQsWuKUANV4KLmArmRiFK0_ZVQw_16nr3fX7pf1ldCGVLxoSmGyhqaIf2KEGgTgW4fx5ZkWkEgZDHaSqwzFi_ruijgIeoTuKVTllEwJTphmveEO3DHS6yLdJL-I2pEFF3hliw1VNPb4Q5RNvpoqca04RjNZh575zsnR_ssU1f5zD7OA9TaE8EFa9_6j_zBgs0GuQb0L1zoySup0hrUPfik-5y5EUKlzkQNyxU8dzU42DJCxlLTBrWg7ZAX4cuJpGBUMukqr4-gP7GlEYuWxhjtIadAOR0-w31vazAAPiKYmjq5JuFIla5kFVRpOiUH6gabEvei2W8NddwUtcrcZMAWylKDPlILkFYsr1fhxvZy7UyRw8yQ2UpLH-Ng3hbjArcg3JtBBBErfn-PhFAchvvstVJTWUHkhXgVumgZyFnoVS0uW5U4kZ-HpN8uKtGZyhsbzORiTjFlq3zjp3AiYaUJ3QiWJEbzZDZiZR8FMfELhyhgy90Y3OENZ93sH71xH8uR7T3Jt8Si6cw8ZkK5wZQDbhfWUBxg7rTP6uTWn3auulC985szMINnXFtQIhI7uF-_usstUejKXCngaqEi-QOi3p6EqW23Y_r_BIlLwHZ6y_6s26Enn3Tc4knZRcnUkXvkoVgjbTq-TKj-xsETlodWlEtqY6Lo2BU6Dhbp0xVMPSaAMTmM=w1934-h1450-no

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #27,404 of 45,723
I had a similar issue with my balanced output. For some strange reason I was getting lower output and subdued highs, I spent a few weeks troubleshooting cables, IEM's. I finally called Sony support, they recommended I set my player back to factory settings, I was hesitant but ended up doing so, sure enough it fixed the issue. Not sure what may have caused it, my guess is it happened when upgrading to 3.01 when it was released but I can't be sure.

Sony was in the process of getting me a new unit (warranty) before this was resolved, kudos to their 2nd level tech team for troubleshooting tips. I'm also keeping an 'ear' on this issue, hoping it doesn't arise again if it does Sony has left the case open, allowing me to exchange the unit.

This is very interresting as I’ve had exactly the same experience and didn’t really know what was happening. It only happened with my JH13 (not Z5 nor Z1R) where suddenly I had to have volume between 60 and 70 where as I’m normally at 50-55 and the whole sound was somehow fuzzy. I had had new 2-pin plugs fitted on my cable and thought that might be the reason but seeing these posts I realized it happened after going from FW 2.0 to 3.01 so I have just done a factory reset and now I’m back at volume 50 and no fuzzyness. Very strange

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #27,405 of 45,723
This is very interresting as I’ve had exactly the same experience and didn’t really know what was happening. It only happened with my JH13 (not Z5 nor Z1R) where suddenly I had to have volume between 60 and 70 where as I’m normally at 50-55 and the whole sound was somehow fuzzy. I had had new 2-pin plugs fitted on my cable and thought that might be the reason but seeing these posts I realized it happened after going from FW 2.0 to 3.01 so I have just done a factory reset and now I’m back at volume 50 and no fuzzyness. Very strange

I also forgot to mention, the Sony tech said I'm not the only person with this issue via WM1A/Z So I guess that's good and bad...

Weird that it only effected the balanced output not single ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back