SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #26,536 of 45,723
How many charge cycles needs the battery to offer all it's potential?

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #26,537 of 45,723

None as far as I’m concerned, it was at max right from the start

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #26,538 of 45,723

Enable battery saver mode and you are all set. The last thing you want to do with LiON batteries is frequent charging to 100% and discharging to 0%. There is a finite number of full cycles the battery can do. Battery saver will limit charging to 90% and then you need to recharge when the last battery bar starts blinking. Even the Hugo 2 features a "desktop" mode where it stops charging the battery after you leave it on for 24 hours.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #26,539 of 45,723
None as far as I’m concerned, it was at max right from the start

Enable battery saver mode and you are all set. The last thing you want to do with LiON batteries is frequent charging to 100% and discharging to 0%. There is a finite number of full cycles the battery can do. Battery saver will limit charging to 90% and then you need to recharge when the last battery bar starts blinking. Even the Hugo 2 features a "desktop" mode where it stops charging the battery after you leave it on for 24 hours.

Yes, I'm using battery saver mode. I'm getting around 15-16 hours playing dsd and hd flac files.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #26,540 of 45,723
Yes, I'm using battery saver mode. I'm getting around 15-16 hours playing dsd and hd flac files.

That is very good. I only have 16/44 flac and get about 20 hours play time (about 3 hours every day) plus a weeks stand by per charge to 90% and never fully drain and never turn off and charge every Sunday

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #26,541 of 45,723
I turn it off when I'm not using it. By the way, when I'm charging it turns on, isn't it?

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #26,542 of 45,723
Jan 10, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #26,543 of 45,723
WM1Z gets my vote. Heard it with the Utopia and it's magical. And the build quality is stellar.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #26,544 of 45,723
One of the reasons why I am sticking with Sony is due to their battery performance when powered off. I had a Sony phone that I turned off at 100% charge. I turned it back on 6 months later and battery was at 95%. I have had other brands of devices that would have completely drained in one month or less.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #26,545 of 45,723
That is very good. I only have 16/44 flac and get about 20 hours play time (about 3 hours every day) plus a weeks stand by per charge to 90% and never fully drain and never turn off and charge every Sunday

WM1Z gets my vote. Heard it with the Utopia and it's magical. And the build quality is stellar.

One of the reasons why I am sticking with Sony is due to their battery performance when powered off. I had a Sony phone that I turned off at 100% charge. I turned it back on 6 months later and battery was at 95%. I have had other brands of devices that would have completely drained in one month or less.

Indeed. In addition to the SQ, the battery, the UI, the build and design are fantastic. I think the screen has some anti fingerprint treatment.

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #26,546 of 45,723
Sorry for the late reply, I was quite busy today.

I didn’t have the chance to test it extensively, but I can tell you you were right. It is certainly an improvement when compared to my NUC server and even the Walkman port on the TA.

A great little thing that cradle is. It’s built and packaged beautifully! I also couldn’t detect any difference in SQ plugged vs unplugged. Not sure whether the cradle needs burning in, we shall see.

I found out about the Walkman remote today, it could be quite handy when the 1A is acting as a server inside the cradle. Do you have one?
Congratulations, maybe we are not all crazy. Well I forgot to get the remote while in Japan last year; I should have made a written list other than a mental list. I don’t have the option of Amazon.com. I still could get one, but the way I use the dock, it’s always close by. I think the remote only forwards songs and pauses, where I always do more than that. Remember too, you can listen to your computer with the 1A as the DAC using the dock in reverse. Though you maybe have no use as you would just use the TA. But myself, I have one pair of IEMs which is slightly better from the 1Z than the TA. The 1Z has a slightly boosted treble over the TA. But everything else is best from the TA. Just spent a day with the old flagship Z7 headphones, the dock and the TA. Some songs I listen to have a super high frequency drum accent, and the combo somehow is able to reproduce the frequency? The combination is truly high resolution. It can be beat, but requires some serious money to do so.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #26,547 of 45,723
Sorry for the late reply, I was quite busy today........
I found out about the Walkman remote today, it could be quite handy when the 1A is acting as a server inside the cradle. Do you have one?

The remote is also handy for when using the WM1x while mobile. The WM1x can be in a backback or belt pouch (how I use it), and the RMT-NWS20 can control it.
I use it with a wrist strap, which I highly recommend, so you do not accidentally lose it, which can easily happen if you only use the clip. I drilled 2 holes through the bottom of the clip attachment so I could have the clip,
and a wrist strap. With the wrist strap, I can drop it, and let it hang on the strap, and free up the hands when needed.
It could also be useful with a dock, or just the WM1x output driving powered speakers. I like to use the WM1x on shuffle, so the remote is fine for that.

1989cf03fe5dec86b2ea8046847c6ae5

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #26,548 of 45,723
2 two 2.jpg
z1r 1z.jpg

Sony MUC-B20SB1 to Sony MDR-Z1R to Sony NW-WM1Z

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #26,549 of 45,723
Great photo

Sub out the Sony/Kimber cable for an Axios and one could say you have END GAME
(wash, rinse and repeat with the Utopia/Axios/1Z)

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #26,550 of 45,723
Great photo

Sub out the Sony/Kimber cable for an Axios and one could say you have END GAME
(wash, rinse and repeat with the Utopia/Axios/1Z)

Good idea, though I’m going in an IEM direction. I actually use IEMs more though...... enjoy full-size both for reference and listening once in a while. Plus endgame for me is switching the 1Z to the TA desktop, as it has a quality which helps full-size headphones be their best. But your right, for portable that would be something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back