SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #26,131 of 45,723
No need to disassemble, there is a picture of the cradle’s main board on the Sony Japan website.

Apparently it uses OS-CON capacitors.

This is a quote from another forum:

“I bought the BCR-NWH10, as well, because the battery drain when using the WMC cable is insane; the battery life drops to around 6-8 hours in digital out mode, from a full charge. The BCR cradle is self-powered, which allows you to play and charge at the same time, not only fixing the battery drain issue but also allowing the connection to DACs that draw too much power.

FWIW the OSCONs in the BCR are for power stability only. They do nothing for the output power, per se. The cradle does tend to improve sound somewhat; I suspect there's a fairly dirty or jittery signal, and the cradle improves this somewhat, also allowing something like a USB decrapifier which tends to improve things further-and make it a really rather good transport, at that point. I haven't done any serious comparisons with my MBP, but I use it a lot on my work rig and felt it was good enough to leave the MBP at home.”

Thank-you for that. Also he does not talk about USB cables making a difference in the connection but using a USB filter. You may find a better cable changes things. The Carbon uses silver for contacts as well as has radio interface shielding which some believe helps get the transfer over better. Though this is all very opinionated as a subject, which is why I still need to do a blind test. In sighted tests the better USB cable makes a difference.

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #26,132 of 45,723
Thank-you for that. Also he does not talk about USB cables making a difference in the connection but using a USB filter. You may find a better cable changes things. The Carbon uses silver for contacts as well as has radio interface shielding which some believe helps get the transfer over better. Though this is all very opinionated as a subject, which is why I still need to do a blind test. In sighted tests the better USB cable makes a difference.

Sure, I have the Lush^2 USB cable which is better than anything I have tried in the past (including Curious cable, Wireworld and Audioquest Cinnamon).

The guy I quoted says the capacitors are for power stability only. If that’s the case, then they don’t do anything to the output digital signal if the cradle is unplugged while the DAP is playing. As least that’s my understanding, perhaps I got it wrong.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #26,133 of 45,723
Sure, I have the Lush^2 USB cable which is better than anything I have tried in the past (including Curious cable, Wireworld and Audioquest Cinnamon).

The guy I quoted says the capacitors are for power stability only. If that’s the case, then they don’t do anything to the output digital signal if the cradle is unplugged while the DAP is playing. As least that’s my understanding, perhaps I got it wrong.
https://www.head-fi.org/members/whitigir.378966/

Whitigir has thought the electronics where connected with the USB transfer? Though he has moved away from Sony gear onto bigger and better.

Dec 23, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #26,135 of 45,723
Japanese DAP + Japanese Amp + ChiFi cable + German Cans = many smiles

I have been cycling through FWs 2.0, 3.0 and 3.01. I can go back to 1.2, but I keep getting a persistent error message asking for a reboot which doesn't fix the error. I would try a factory reset, but I don't want to reset the timer. the above hardware combo with FW 3.01 provides the best overall sound for my ears and I will be hard pressed to change FW in the future

20181223_220038104_iOS.jpg

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #26,136 of 45,723
Is it possible to use the WM1A as a DAC with the Sony BCR-NWH10 connected to my Mac? If so, will i need any special cable?
The idea is to listen to the music i have on my Mac but using the WM1A/Dock through my powered speakers (Yamaha HS7)

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #26,138 of 45,723
Japanese DAP + Japanese Amp + ChiFi cable + German Cans = many smiles

I have been cycling through FWs 2.0, 3.0 and 3.01. I can go back to 1.2, but I keep getting a persistent error message asking for a reboot which doesn't fix the error. I would try a factory reset, but I don't want to reset the timer. the above hardware combo with FW 3.01 provides the best overall sound for my ears and I will be hard pressed to change FW in the future

Friend I FACED this error one of my messages states how to fix it... its a database error you have to go 1.2 and put most files in again and erase all trash files never use playlists reset factory settings, can you give some sound insights??? will be apreciated you on SE? Any diferrence in sound from 3.0 to 3.01? reset didnt solve the issue for me coping the files again did.. and removing SE card... only main memory files where the issue whats your headphones brand name? have in mind that re writing files in main disk may degrade its performance overtime so....

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #26,139 of 45,723
https://www.head-fi.org/members/whitigir.378966/

Whitigir has thought the electronics where connected with the USB transfer? Though he has moved away from Sony gear onto bigger and better.

I had modified 2 cradles, and so I know them well. The cradles is acting as 2 things.

1/ Charge the Walkman simultaneously
2/ transfer files in and out of Walkman via a switch

The cradles also has reclocking signals and isolation to improve digital signals via USB. It is the Same principal as the dongles but with bigger capacitors such as film capacitors and os-con, and bigger IC. If you know IFI I-purifier, the cradle is similar, but with different technology and implementation using Sony patented design and IC, which also charges the Walkman or transfer files.

The cradles is crazily cheap for what it can do, period

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #26,140 of 45,723
Just a quick question, do the 1A and 1Z support two way Bluetooth? Are they able to receive signal from a smartphone or other Bluetooth enabled devices (for example Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, etc.) or do they only transmit the signal to Bluetooth receivers?
Like recieve files?

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #26,141 of 45,723
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #26,142 of 45,723
Is it possible to use the WM1A as a DAC with the Sony BCR-NWH10 connected to my Mac? If so, will i need any special cable?
The idea is to listen to the music i have on my Mac but using the WM1A/Dock through my powered speakers (Yamaha HS7)

You use the provided cable to use the 1A as a DAC, no need for a USB adapter; as long as your using 3.0 and above. Just switch the player into DAC mode and plug it in.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #26,143 of 45,723
Believe I found a bug in 3.01. Trying to select a sound setting in the saved sound settings(1-3) menu it always asks to overwrite the current saved sound setting but there is no way to retrieve the saved setting anymore?

Others have this as well?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #26,144 of 45,723
Believe I found a bug in 3.01. Trying to select a sound setting in the saved sound settings(1-3) menu it always asks to overwrite the current saved sound setting but there is no way to retrieve the saved setting anymore?

Not used it before, but agree with you - whether you press the save button or not, pressing 1,2 or 3 says it will overwrite.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #26,145 of 45,723

Well, it is working fine, just wrong text.

Press any of the 3 settings, then press ok on the overwrite question and it will load it.

And to save press the save button and choose one of the 3 spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back