1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. AmusedToD
  2. AmusedToD
    I am getting the Axios CU for the Focal Utopia with the 4.4mm plug (+200€ on top the regular Axios price because they charge €100 for the 4.4mm plug and another €100 for the LEMO plugs). But if I get the WM1A, I will be able to use the 4.4mm cable for both the TA and 1A. In that case everything makes sense price wise.

BTW, some people mentioned a specific cradle/docking station for the 1A/1Z that supports aftermarket USB cables (type A input). Any idea which cradle that may be (part number)?

3. nc8000 Contributor
    CE8D9563-1A69-4D76-B2FE-443F9F3B2DD9.jpeg

AmusedToD likes this.
  4. AmusedToD
    That’s it, many thanks!

I see this cradles uses a 5V power adapter. Does the USB digital out work without the cradle being plugged into power, meaning is it possible to use the 1A as a digital source to the TA through this cradle without having to charge it (and pollute the transfer) at the same time?

5. Redcarmoose
    Here
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1739#post-14671969

All the power does is charge the DAP. DAP runs on battery if dock not plugged in.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  6. nc8000 Contributor
    Don’t know but don’t think so. I only ever used it as a(rather expensive) charging cradle which is why I have just sold after finding the much cheaoer cradle that Sony makes that just fits the stock WM cable

7. AmusedToD
  8. Redcarmoose
    If that bugs you just unplug and use the DAP off battery power. Your best upgrade will maybe be the AudioQuest Carbon USB. Maybe a power regeneration system for the TA? You may want the AudioQuest Diamond? I use the Carbon with nice results.

But I have a feeling you may notice the biggest change from leaving CD transports and computers and like the 1A as a source file transport to the TA.

9. AmusedToD
    That was my initial question. Will the DAP work as a source to the TA while being connected to an unplugged cradle (meaning running on its internal battery without being charged at the same time)?

10. Redcarmoose
  11. AmusedToD
    So you have tried this scenario and it works? Does that mean the cradle is powered by the DAP’s battery in this case? Or perhaps it doesn’t need power at all to be just a USB out hub (less likely).

Too many questions, I know. Just trying to figure out the modus operandi of the cradle. :)

12. Redcarmoose
    Why are you asking me the same question over and over?

I use a power conditioner for the cradle and at times I’m too lazy to turn it on so I drop the DAP in the cradle and run it off battery to the TA. It sounds the same plugged in as not plugged in.

The AC to the cradle is to charge the DAPs.

13. AmusedToD
    I asked the same question because I couldn’t find a definitive answer in the post you linked above. But now everything is cleared, thank you.

14. Redcarmoose
    There is a specific reason why the folks think the dock sounds different than the USB adapter when connecting the DAPs to the TA. The DAPs can be side connected with a mini USB which is what is included with the TA. Or you can get the dock or the USB adapter.

But folks have disassembled the dock to reveal parts they believe the USB signal goes past. Now I can’t hear a difference when the dock is unplugged so I think those parts run off USB power? All of these differences are really slight and could border on the power of suggestion. IMO

This transfer is why many of us believe the USB AudioQuest Carbon makes a difference. I still need to do a blind test to confirm there is a real difference and not placebo from the cable in sighted tests.

15. AmusedToD

No need to disassemble, there is a picture of the cradle’s main board on the Sony Japan website.

DA5B6BE0-9B56-492B-A372-AFEE898001D9.jpeg

Apparently it uses OS-CON capacitors.

This is a quote from another forum:

“I bought the BCR-NWH10, as well, because the battery drain when using the WMC cable is insane; the battery life drops to around 6-8 hours in digital out mode, from a full charge. The BCR cradle is self-powered, which allows you to play and charge at the same time, not only fixing the battery drain issue but also allowing the connection to DACs that draw too much power.

FWIW the OSCONs in the BCR are for power stability only. They do nothing for the output power, per se. The cradle does tend to improve sound somewhat; I suspect there's a fairly dirty or jittery signal, and the cradle improves this somewhat, also allowing something like a USB decrapifier which tends to improve things further-and make it a really rather good transport, at that point. I haven't done any serious comparisons with my MBP, but I use it a lot on my work rig and felt it was good enough to leave the MBP at home.”