SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #26,101 of 45,723
Strange… I charged my WM1A via phone charger plugged into wall power socket, with Sony USB-WMport connected to WM1A, it is still turn on the DAP.

That’s how I charge mine and it always is on

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #26,102 of 45,723
Just a quick question, do the 1A and 1Z support two way Bluetooth? Are they able to receive signal from a smartphone or other Bluetooth enabled devices (for example Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, etc.) or do they only transmit the signal to Bluetooth receivers?

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #26,103 of 45,723
Yes, but you can’t go digital out to the dock while in BT mode. The only sound output receiving goes to the 3.5mm or 4.4mm analog output.

Looks like your putting together a 1A/ TA system! Enjoy! You’ll love it!

They broadcast BT out to a phone, and take a BT signal and become the DAC for the internal amplifier only.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #26,105 of 45,723
Yes, but you can’t go digital out to the dock while in BT mode. The only sound output receiving goes to the 3.5mm or 4.4mm analog output.

Looks like your putting together a 1A/ TA system! Enjoy! You’ll love it!

They broadcast BT out to a phone, and take a BT signal and become the DAC for the internal amplifier only.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, my intention is to set up a 1A/TA system. The TA will be delivered to me soon, just need to source the 1A (either buy a used one or trade my QP2R for a 1A).

If the 1A is able to receive BT signal, then I can sell both the EarStudio ES100 and the A&K XB10 receivers to free some cash.

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #26,106 of 45,723
Just a quick question, do the 1A and 1Z support two way Bluetooth? Are they able to receive signal from a smartphone or other Bluetooth enabled devices (for example Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, etc.) or do they only transmit the signal to Bluetooth receivers?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, my intention is to set up a 1A/TA system. The TA will be delivered to me soon, just need to source the 1A (either buy a used one or trade my QP2R for a 1A).

If the 1A is able to receive BT signal, then I can sell both the EarStudio ES100 and the A&K XB10 receivers to free some cash.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into your motor running here; but you should probably be aware of a few things. The 1A only does the reception of BT in firmware 3.0 and firmware 3.01. I only use the 1A in firmware 2.0 and I don’t like the sound of 3.0 with the 1A. Many here have rolled back the 1A to an earlier firmware giving up the BT receiver function but retaining the BT broadcast function of 2.0.

3.0 firmware just doesn’t have enough bass. But if your only concern is to use the 1A as a file transport for the Sony TA you will love it. The TA amp goes way past the abilities of the portable Walkmans in sound.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #26,107 of 45,723
Not to throw a monkey wrench into your motor running here; but you should probably be aware of a few things. The 1A only does the reception of BT in firmware 3.0 and firmware 3.01. I only use the 1A in firmware 2.0 and I don’t like the sound of 3.0 with the 1A. Many here have rolled back the 1A to an earlier firmware giving up the BT receiver function but retaining the BT broadcast function of 2.0.

3.0 firmware just doesn’t have enough bass. But if your only concern is to use the 1A as a file transport for the Sony TA you will love it. The TA amp goes way past the abilities of the portable Walkmans in sound.

Is it really such a difference? Just a firmware revision? Has anybody contacted Sony?

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #26,108 of 45,723
Am I missing a point? Why would you want two way BT? If you’re connecting a source to the player via BT, and then connecting straight to a BT headphone / speaker, why use the 1A/Z at all? You’re surely just adding an extra cog to the wheel?

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #26,109 of 45,723
Is it really such a difference? Just a firmware revision? Has anybody contacted Sony?
It maybe depends on personal preference. Also maybe what IEMs you use? I’m just letting you know in case your planning on selling everything. It’s maybe 50/50 around here, who knows? I like 3.01 with the 1Z but leave 2.0 with the 1A. It seems maybe it’s difficult for Sony to do one FW for two different sounding players.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #26,110 of 45,723
Am I missing a point? Why would you want two way BT? If you’re connecting a source to the player via BT, and then connecting straight to a BT headphone / speaker, why use the 1A/Z at all? You’re surely just adding an extra cog to the wheel?

I don’t need two way, I just need the BT receiver capability, and I see it has been added with firmware 3.0.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #26,111 of 45,723
And another thing, the European version of the 1A apparently lacks the high gain switch. I see some people are complaining about it. So without the high gain, is the 1A able to drive headphones like the Focal Utopia at all?

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #26,112 of 45,723
And another thing, the European version of the 1A apparently lacks the high gain switch. I see some people are complaining about it. So without the high gain, is the 1A able to drive headphones like the Focal Utopia at all?

It’s maybe subjective if your headphones are powered right. You change the location with Rockbox to remove the volume limit and have all the power like everyone else. I can’t comment on if it’s sufficient for your headphones but my Z7 and Z1R sound way loud enough. The TA gets a slight better damping factor resulting in more defined bass. The TA helps with imaging and speed, maybe the soundstage is even better with most gear, than with the handheld Walkmans? Your getting the Kimber Kable too right? Not sure how it is with your headphones but the TA/Z1R/Kimber is special in my use.

Remember too....you may love how firmware 3.01 sounds with your headphones. It’s just hard to recommend anything if you haven’t heard it, nor should you move ahead without hearing stuff first. IMO

I heard all my gear before purchase. It’s the only correct way to do it.

Though the 1A is so clear and non-colored you can almost recommend it to anyone. I could not see how anyone would not like it, especially with FW 2.0?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #26,113 of 45,723
It’s maybe subjective if your headphones are powered right. You change the location with Rockbox to remove the volume limit and have all the power like everyone else. I can’t comment on if it’s sufficient for your headphones but my Z7 and Z1R sound way loud enough. The TA gets a slight better damping factor resulting in more defined bass. The TA helps with imaging and speed, maybe the soundstage is even better with most gear, than with the handheld Walkmans? Your getting the Kimber Kable too right? Not sure how it is with your headphones but the TA/Z1R/Kimber is special in my use.

Remember too....you may love how firmware 3.01 sounds with your headphones. It’s just hard to recommend anything if you haven’t heard it, nor should you move ahead without hearing stuff first. IMO

I heard all my gear before purchase. It’s the only correct way to do it.

Though the 1A is so clear and non-colored you can almost recommend it to anyone. I could not see how anyone would not like it, especially with FW 2.0?

Wow, thanks for the detailed review. You guys figured it all out Would you be kind to explain the Rockbox thing in more detail?

Yes, I am getting the Axios as well. Many people over at the TA thread say that Utopia pairs fantastically with the TA, some claim the match is even better than with the Z1R. Will have to wait and see.

I suppose the Axios will tame that neutrality (perhaps brightness?) of the 3.0.1 firmware, but then again, I am not a big fan of too warm sound signature. I like neutrality, resolution and clarity, hence the Utopia was my pick.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #26,114 of 45,723
Wow, thanks for the detailed review. You guys figured it all out Would you be kind to explain the Rockbox thing in more detail?

Yes, I am getting the Axios as well. Many people over at the TA thread say that Utopia pairs fantastically with the TA, some claim the match is even better than with the Z1R. Will have to wait and see.

I suppose the Axios will tame that neutrality (perhaps brightness?) of the 3.0.1 firmware, but then again, I am not a big fan of too warm sound signature. I like neutrality, resolution and clarity, hence the Utopia was my pick.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #26,115 of 45,723

Well that’s the cool thing you can plug your headphones into the 4.4mm of the 1A or 4.4mm of the TA. I thought you were getting the regular Kimber? That’s amazing the Axios. Also you may find the 1A is going to be a big source upgrade to the TA from regular CD transport or computer. Some feel so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back