SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #25,681 of 45,723
if you have a set of well fitting customs headphones seem like a chore while out and about (especially mowing the grass or shoveling snow).

I had Customs once, for whatever reason, my ears are just sensitive to having anything inserted into them.

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #25,682 of 45,723
Hey guys, i wasnt able to buy the SR15 norma from A&K because of A&K having supplier issues. this in turn as aggravated me because of all the running around.

Now! im going to be making the choice, which DAP in your opinion is more worth the money in terms of powering headphones and sound, the Sony WM1A or the Sony ZX300?

headphones i use daily:
Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro
Bang and Olufsen H6 (2nd Gen)
Bower and wilkins P7 (wired)

headphones im borrowing and i might end up buying based on if the DAP can handle them.
Audeze LCD2C
Audeze LCD-X
Focal Elegia

PS: I dont use IEMs, i'll never use IEMs because i dont like how they fit in my ear and fall out all the time, i also dont find it comfortable sticking something in my ear.
also, i know sony doesnt like to give too much info on its products but does anyone know power output for the WMA1 and ZX300 from 3.5 ? and 4.4 ?

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #25,683 of 45,723
My workplace is kind of off on its own. Also I listen a lot at home

So do I but there is almost always somebody around who don’t like sound leaking. When I’m alone I use speakers

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #25,684 of 45,723
for wm1a owners, anyone likes 3.5mm output more than 4.4mm balance? are 4.4mm a lot better than 3.5mm?
thanks

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #25,685 of 45,723
for wm1a owners, anyone likes 3.5mm output more than 4.4mm balance? are 4.4mm a lot better than 3.5mm?
thanks
hey Itanasom, have you tried your LCD-2C(Classics) and HD660S on the WM1A on 3.5? does it have enough power to run them fully? :) would super appreciate this reply.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #25,686 of 45,723
Also @ltanasom how do you find the sound diffirence between the zx300 and wm1a ?

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #25,687 of 45,723
So do I but there is almost always somebody around who don’t like sound leaking. When I’m alone I use speakers

Everybody at my pathetic workplace are at each other's throats, so the sound leakage keeps them away from my area. I normally play the most obnoxious heavy metal I can think of. When I get home I will switch to smooth jazz or classical.

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #25,688 of 45,723
Hey guys, I noticed something using the 1A with balanced output wired to Sony MDR-1ADAC or MDR-100aap: when swithching from any HR song (mostly MQA 96 kHz) to any FLAC (44.1 kHz/16 bit) or back, there is a small noise (like when you plug the speaker to sound system).

Does anyone else have experienced this? Could it be that my headphones are not "truly balanced"?
Perfectly normal, it is the relay switching the clocks (from 48KHz base to 44.1KHz base)

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #25,689 of 45,723
Also @ltanasom how do you find the sound diffirence between the zx300 and wm1a ?
I think the sound of wm1a is better than zx300. the soundstage is wider and less congested on wm1a. the sound is more transparent as well. however, one thing the zx300 is better may be the bass quantity.

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #25,690 of 45,723
hey Itanasom, have you tried your LCD-2C(Classics) and HD660S on the WM1A on 3.5? does it have enough power to run them fully? :) would super appreciate this reply.
Normally, I listen to them through 4.4mm output. I have just tried briefly driving HD660S from 3.5mm output with high gain. I think wm1a with 3.5mm high gain has enough power to run them but I may need to turn the volume close to 100/120 for my level of listening . From 4.4mm output with the same song and level of listening, I open volume about 80-85. I don't know and cannot say whether they can drive fully but I am satisfied with it.
On the other hand, LCD2C may need a little more power than HD660S. When driving though 4.4mm output, I overall are happy with them. However, on some songs (especially the one recorded in low volume such as Sheffield Labs), I feel the sound is loud but the bass is not as good as it should be. It may be a sign of needing more power or current. For LCD2C, I think you may need an amp to get the best out of them. The sound of LCD2C is noticeably better when they are driven by Sony TA-ZH1ES.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #25,691 of 45,723
Normally, I listen to them through 4.4mm output. I have just tried briefly driving HD660S from 3.5mm output with high gain. I think wm1a with 3.5mm high gain has enough power to run them but I may need to turn the volume close to 100/120 for my level of listening . From 4.4mm output with the same song and level of listening, I open volume about 80-85. I don't know and cannot say whether they can drive fully but I am satisfied with it.
On the other hand, LCD2C may need a little more power than HD660S. Even when driving though 4.4mm output, I feel the sound is loud but for some songs I feel the bass is not as good as it should be. For LCD2C, I think you may need an amp to get the best out of them. The sound of LCD2C is noticeably better when they are driven by Sony TA-ZH1ES.
Hope this helps.
it helps get an idea, i know the DT1990 Pros are a tiny bit harder to drive than the 660S so gives me an idea as to the power output of the 3.5. unfortunately i dont own any balanced gear anymore atm. (sold my TH900mk2s a long while ago because the comfort wasnt for me despite having good sound).

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #25,692 of 45,723
A couple things to share:

1. Be wary of upgrading to OS X Mojave. The WM1x firmware installers don't work on it. Had to use a laptop with High Sierra on it to change the firmware.

2. For the discussion re: the SR15 vs WM1A, I had the pleasure of testing both out a week before buying. The SR15 has significantly worse sound quality and a far different sound sig to my ears than the WM1A, but is FAR FAR more responsive and practical in terms of portability and features. The sound sig out of the SR15 has a wide but flat soundstage (think IMAX theater), the upper mids and treble seem brighter than necessary (almost as if the tuning emphasizes these frequencies to make it sound on first blush that it's higher resolution than it truly is), the bass is tight but lacking. Was a fatiguing listen for me. Very HD800 in signature. The WM1A had a very wide, but deep and round soundstage, like sitting in the middle of a planetarium. The sound is significantly more detailed and fluid, especially the mids, and far more enjoyable to listen to and less fatiguing. However, as has been noted in this thread, the WM1x is not the most practical device, outside of its amazing battery life. FWIW I am using a 64 Audio A12t, not full sized cans (these pair extremely well with the WM1A, especially v3.0 of the firmware)

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #25,693 of 45,723
A couple things to share:

1. Be wary of upgrading to OS X Mojave. The WM1x firmware installers don't work on it. Had to use a laptop with High Sierra on it to change the firmware.

2. For the discussion re: the SR15 vs WM1A, I had the pleasure of testing both out a week before buying. The SR15 has significantly worse sound quality and a far different sound sig to my ears than the WM1A, but is FAR FAR more responsive and practical in terms of portability and features. The sound sig out of the SR15 has a wide but flat soundstage (think IMAX theater), the upper mids and treble seem brighter than necessary (almost as if the tuning emphasizes these frequencies to make it sound on first blush that it's higher resolution than it truly is), the bass is tight but lacking. Was a fatiguing listen for me. Very HD800 in signature. The WM1A had a very wide, but deep and round soundstage, like sitting in the middle of a planetarium. The sound is significantly more detailed and fluid, especially the mids, and far more enjoyable to listen to and less fatiguing. However, as has been noted in this thread, the WM1x is not the most practical device, outside of its amazing battery life. FWIW I am using a 64 Audio A12t, not full sized cans (these pair extremely well with the WM1A, especially v3.0 of the firmware)

My neck would hurt with the SR15 screen:

SR15_1024x1024.png

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #25,694 of 45,723
That is an epic design fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back