1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. nc8000 Contributor
    I’m back on 2.0 as 3.0 kept crashing and I didn’t need the new features

2. Tawek
    for me, 3.0 is very stable and I have never had a problem with crash ... not once

fiascogarcia likes this.
  3. nc8000 Contributor
    Crashed every 2-3 hours for me both in BT receiver mode and playing flac from internal and external memory. No crash in 4 weeks since downgrading and never had a crash in 1 1/2 years before upgrading to 3.0

4. ttt123
    True, and I am not advocating this, just exploring options for anybody who has a setup where they think there may be a benefit to utilizing the 4.4. If it can be done easily (for a DIY'er), then it is worth a try. Never know what you will get. Maybe something worth the effort, maybe not. I personally think it makes more sense to just stay with the WM1x in standalone, and if wanting to feed a higher quality desktop rig, then get one with a balanced input. I'm currently feeding the 3.5 into an Audio Pro Addon Five powered speaker, and it is small and compact, and sounds pretty good. When I get around to it, I'm planning to feed the 3.5 into a PS Audio Sprout. So all moderate, small physical dimensions equipment, to fit onto a desktop.

5. Tawek
    3.0 I have been using for a month and I have not had any crash, I do not use any sd card

6. fiascogarcia
    Same here and I haven't used an SD card since upgrading firmware. I had suggested earlier that it may have something to do with the SD card interface, but I have no basis to guess why.

Tawek likes this.
  7. Duncan Moderator
    I had one crash early on, but all good since, that is with a 400gb card bursting at the seams (just over 15k tracks).

Steen Pihl likes this.
  8. oradev
    Hello everybody.

I've got the same problem, when using 1A as DAC with MBP PRO.
    Testing with VLC player, VOX, Deezer. MBP showing WALKMAN in sound preferences, but there is no sound...

9. kingdixon
    Tonight my Wm1a on 3.0 was sounding more awesome than ever with se846, i guess its a mood thing ;D

Also tonight i experienced my first crash since the firmware was released, it was in my pocket suddenly the sound stopped, i thought it was the cable but no, also kept pressing buttons in my pocket, until i took it out and found it creating the database .. i also dont use the new features as much but i like to have them available, also leaning to sound on 3.0, but its pretty frusturating dont know if i should revert or stay.

10. Duncan Moderator
    I use my 1A for 2hrs a day in receiver mode (as soon as FW3.0 dropped that convinced me to get this to retire the Shanling M0 that held that duty for a few months) - even if it crashed twice a day, the LDAC convenience and SQ would keep me here.

davidmolliere likes this.
  11. nc8000 Contributor
    It takes 20-30 minutes to rebuild the database after a crash so that really is a no go if it crashes ever 2-3 hours playtime

12. Tawek
    20-30min crazy! ! 3 min to rebuild the database- 6800 tracks

Steen Pihl likes this.
  13. NaiveSound
    Has anyone here heard the R2R2000 as well as the 1z?what were your thoughts?

14. nc8000 Contributor
    I have about 30.000 16/44 flac tracks. Build time went up at least 50% with 3.0

15. Midnstorms
    I see that my question was good since you guys keeped entertained debating a lot lol, i fixed the dearned loop... for anyone having that issue on 1.2 i formated systems storage... reseted all player settings, it kept my EQ and player count time and deleted all files in the SD not the songs the 3 files it creates then let the player created database with 0 songs then inserted SD it created ok then formated system memory again then copy most of my mp3s there too. i dunno what fixed but it aperared to have fixed it...