SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #24,751 of 45,723
Is it safe to plug 1z in this?
You can charge from any decent quality charger. Use the highest capacity charger available, as it will have the most headroom. The current draw is determined by the device, not the charger. But a weak or low quality charger can be easily overloaded, and probably has weak or non-existent built in protection, and may put out damaging voltages or spikes. General guidelines are to use a good quality charger, with lots of capacity, so that it is running cool, and way below its rated output. (I use an 8A or 10A multiport charger myself.) Do top up charging, as that is lower current/heat, and the best for liithium batteries. Your picture looks like it is the USB ports on a power bar. It is prbably OK, if the power strip is a proper one, and not a cheapie. But that is a weak area, as the quality of the components of a charger built into a power bar is iffy, as that is not its main purpose, and adding more features just squeezes the money they spend on parts. My recommendation is to get a proper high current multi-port charger, like Anker, Aukey, or similar. That way, you have more assurance that the charger is designed properly. Don't be cheap in this area, as it is not worth taking chances with any device, regardless of whether it is cheap or expensive. Just not worth the risk.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #24,752 of 45,723
When you say cold 3.0, that's by WM1Z intital firmware standards?

I just acquired the 1Z and will get it soon, I need the features of 3.0 and I want smooth warm organic signature :p

Don’t worry!

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #24,753 of 45,723
We're saying about wm1A not Z :wink:
I always thought compared to other daps that wm1a was close to neutral but with a splash of warmth. On the 3.0 it's colder than od 2.0 but it's still not a cold or bright sounding dap per se. It's just closer to being neutral than on 2.0.

Oops I misread thanks for clarifying :p

That was my take on WM1A when I owned it as well.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #24,754 of 45,723
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #24,755 of 45,723
So I got my 1A a few days ago, I put on 3.0 over the weekend and only started listening to it today. My initial impressions are that the bass doesn’t sound as full as zx300, but the soundstage seems wider. Unfortunately I don’t have my zx300 with me to listen side by side. Another thing I notice is that the sound seems to slightly veiled. Maybe this is due to unit being brand new and needing burn-in?

I’m thinking of reverting back to 2.0 and giving that a try. I initially planned on keeping it on 2.0 for a while, but I couldn’t resist the BT receiver feature, which seems to work well with youtube on my iPhone8+.

From what i can gather after reading this thread, 3.0 seems to have less bass than 2.0. Also I suppose I have to take into account the fact that the 1A is brand new and characteristics will change anyway after burn-in.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #24,756 of 45,723
you need 200-500 hours for wm1a to settle , do final evaluations after the 500th hour mark

meanwhile go with whichever FW suits you best

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #24,757 of 45,723
After testing a while. Not really less a lot of bass, just more refine, or due to the bigger soundstage, it felt less.
Try tune the volume up by 3-4 your normal listening volume.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #24,759 of 45,723
I think I definitely need to give it a chance to burn in. Did anyone else feel that it sounded a bit veiled out the box?

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #24,760 of 45,723
I think I definitely need to give it a chance to burn in. Did anyone else feel that it sounded a bit veiled out the box?
Yes. It definitely did for me.

Expect it to change a lot at 200 hrs and then again at 400 hrs.

No other dap or iem that I've used has eve changed that much with burn in.

Contrary to what the naysayers say, this dap needs burn in

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #24,761 of 45,723
I think the 3.0 FW lowers the quantity of mid bass. You get tighter mid bass and less bleed into the lower mids. Found no difference in quantity for the sub bass. I do miss the mid bass on certain songs. But at the same time I get to appreciate more details in lower mids region, more air and separations. This is with JVC FW01, a warm bassy IEM. Might revert back to 2.0 if am using a neutralish IEMs.

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #24,762 of 45,723
Cheers. Think i’m going to stick with 3.0 at least for the next 200hrs and before doing some side by side listening with the zx300 which has a 280hr headstart.

Aside from the sound the 1A looks and feels like a premium product. Certainly for my hands it’s form make it ideal for one handed use although i’d stick to doing that whilst sat at my desk rather than walking around. The extra screen real estate is a nice upgrade too:k701smile:

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #24,764 of 45,723
1. Search bar
2. Read file meta in the background so I can browse in folder view immediately after inserting a new micro sd card. Similar to how AK does it.

Make it happen Sony

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back