SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #24,663 of 45,723
I am in. A cradle like this is good for a variety of DAPs

Ok, give me some time to make a prototype and the expenses evaluation, I'll post here some pictures and if it will result in your liking we could consider a small production for the Head-Fi's fellows.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #24,664 of 45,723
FDC20322-3650-44B7-80DB-4F968B0220F0.jpeg

FW 3.0 with the 1Z is futuristic. Gone is the warm rough fluidity, and you think you would miss it? But the bass texture is replaced by this speedy clean and kinda 1996 PlayStation bass sound. It’s retro and futuristic but tight, and I always take to wanting a warm bass, but 3.0 with the 1Z is delightful? Honestly it’s the imaging and soundstage that make the 1Z special now. They actually improved the 1Z personality in a way not expected.

It now has the 1Z sound like a 1980s boombox turned on low volume? It’s a small mini world with an electro sound. Like a little electronic world, in a Walkman way? Like a tape player?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #24,665 of 45,723
Ok, give me some time to make a prototype and the expenses evaluation, I'll post here some pictures and if it will result in your liking we could consider a small production for the Head-Fi's fellows.

If I could give some ideas.

1/ the cradle NBC model has Digital boards in it. It also has a dedicated clock to correct timing and filtering with OSCON capacitors. It may be a good ideas to use this board or engineer up something similar ?

2/ the WM1Z body is fully conductive. May want to leave the Stainless Steel base uncounted, X_X if the chassis affect the sound quality, isn’t better conductive metals to lay it on also affect it ? Or so does the casing ?

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #24,666 of 45,723
If I could give some ideas.

1/ the cradle NBC model has Digital boards in it. It also has a dedicated clock to correct timing and filtering with OSCON capacitors. It may be a good ideas to use this board or engineer up something similar ?

2/ the WM1Z body is fully conductive. May want to leave the Stainless Steel base uncounted, X_X if the chassis affect the sound quality, isn’t better conductive metals to lay it on also affect it ? Or so does the casing ?

1_My idea is just for, let me say, a simple and "passive" table stand, so everyone can connect the WM cable or not, actually I don't like so much the Sony solution where you have to insert the DAP over it, found this a weak point.

2_ Think it should be better to leave the DAP electrically not connected with the stand but insulated by the cradle in order to not alter the signals running inside it.

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #24,668 of 45,723
DSEE HX is already a standard on WM series, and so for the S-Master HX. The way I see how Sony doing it, they are probably doing something similar to OverSampling but is based on the S-Master foundation which is non-oversampling platform. The DSEE-HX never have been appealing to me, even before I found out about oversampling, and even now, not sure what it is going to do ....lol

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #24,669 of 45,723
DSEE HX is already a standard on WM series, and so for the S-Master HX. The way I see how Sony doing it, they are probably doing something similar to OverSampling but is based on the S-Master foundation which is non-oversampling platform. The DSEE-HX never have been appealing to me, even before I found out about oversampling, and even now, not sure what it is going to do ....lol
DSEE HX has nothing to do with oversampling. S-Master HX oversamples by default (Fs*2048), whether or not DSEE HX is enabled.

DSEE HX restored missing data based on existing frequencies. For that, used fundamental frequencies to restore harmonics (above 22kHz). Think about exciters. And I'm pretty sure it does more such as restore quantization errors, pre-ringing and some other lossy and 16-bit related issues.

New DSEE HX is built around DNN. That's a giant step forward. In the interview they explain it more in depth.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #24,670 of 45,723
DSEE HX has nothing to do with oversampling. S-Master HX oversamples by default (Fs*2048), whether or not DSEE HX is enabled.

DSEE HX restored missing data based on existing frequencies. For that, used fundamental frequencies to restore harmonics (above 22kHz). Think about exciters. And I'm pretty sure it does more such as restore quantization errors, pre-ringing and some other lossy and 16-bit related issues.

New DSEE HX is built around DNN. That's a giant step forward. In the interview they explain it more in depth.

Any source about how S-Master HX is working in oversampling?

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #24,671 of 45,723
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #24,673 of 45,723
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #24,674 of 45,723

You are telling me that the S-Master inside the TA-ZH1ES is the same as in the Walkman WM1Z/A ? Probably so, but it was implemented very different. Because DSD on TA sounded very good, even with remastered, and it did not sound as good on Walkman

By your second link quote:
  • If enabled: DSD RE. transition to on-time DSD11.2MHz conversion DSD process (Only on TA-ZH1ES and DMP-Z1)

Anyways, it is very interesting to know that TA-SH1ES despite having the S-Master HX, it still enable 8X oversampling. It has a built in FPGA to help handling all those, and together with Analog DSP chips. DMP-Z1 has AKM to handle DSD natively...The Walkman has no such thing inside WM

Also, 8X oversampling is equal to DSD256. How the Walkman only enable DSD playback on balanced out is still unknown to me.

In the end, I am a fan of Upsampling from DSD remastering engine, and also offline DSD conversion, but never DSEE-HX...my ears may have been fooling me too much

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #24,675 of 45,723
Captura.JPG
Music center is still crappy slow and has a bug when I import a new album it doesn't get added to my library. Got rid of it, along with it gone 5GB of artwork database files....

Installed and keeping Soy Hi-res audio player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back