SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #23,776 of 45,723
Sold a few items today that's covering money spent on wm1a which makes me able to enjoy my purchase more now. Kinda wish I'd only bought top tier stuff to begin with

Sep 22, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #23,777 of 45,723
Sep 22, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #23,778 of 45,723
Does anyone know how the Sony own S-Master HX technology handles conversion compared to the older R2R chips? I ask as an owner of R2R2000 who owns all the other major daps and the Hugo 2 has said that ever since he got hold of his r2r2000 he can't listen to the delta-sigma chips based DAC the same way he used to before. His words, there seems to no distortion with the R2R2000 and the sound is pure, clean at all volumes.

I can't find any material regarding the handling of digital data with the Sony own S-Master chips. Thanks in advance.

Sep 22, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #23,779 of 45,723
Sold a few items today that's covering money spent on wm1a which makes me able to enjoy my purchase more now. Kinda wish I'd only bought top tier stuff to begin with

I have the Sony NW - WM1A, the Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, and the Questyle QP1R. Still, I am jonesing for the Sony NW - WM1Z. The torture never ends.

Sep 22, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #23,780 of 45,723
Does anyone know how the Sony own S-Master HX technology handles conversion compared to the older R2R chips? I ask as an owner of R2R2000 who owns all the other major daps and the Hugo 2 has said that ever since he got hold of his r2r2000 he can't listen to the delta-sigma chips based DAC the same way he used to before. His words, there seems to no distortion with the R2R2000 and the sound is pure, clean at all volumes.

I can't find any material regarding the handling of digital data with the Sony own S-Master chips. Thanks in advance.

Depending on the input. Quick resume.

PCM:
  • Input sampling rate (fs) = 32 kHz to 384 kHz
  • If enabled: DSP (DSEE HX, etc.)
  • If enabled: DSD RE. transition to on-time DSD11.2MHz conversion DSD process (Only on TA-ZH1ES and DMP-Z1)
  • Clean Data Cycle (384KHz → DC Phase Linearizer and Noise Shaper)
  • Synchronous Time Accuracy Controller (S-TACT) (Output = 2048 fs = PWM (C-PLM) 90MHz or 98MHz)
  • Pulse Height Volume Control (LDO regulator)
  • Audio Pulse Driver hybrid amplified output
DSD (only on balanced):
  • Input sampling rate (fs) = 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz
  • Synchronous Time Accuracy Controller (S-TACT) (output = 2048 fs = PDM 90 MHz)
  • Pulse Height Volume Control (LDO regulator)
  • Audio Pulse Driver hybrid amplified output
sR3pioF.jpg

More about S-Master HX:

https://www.sony.jp/audio/products/TA-ZH1ES/feature_3.html
https://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-WM1Z/feature_1.html#L2_80
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Master
https://docs.sony.com/release/ES_STR_05_Final.pdf (a bit dated but still relevant)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #23,781 of 45,723

I think he has some biases from his feedbacks. You are asking for 3 different technology here. I am not an expert about them, but I did read about them. Here is what I found out

1/ R2R2000 is a resistor ladder type of conversion. Resistor ladders are full of errors and mistakes, and without a good FPGA+firmware, it would sound really really bad. Ask Rob from a Chord, and read his posts for more details

2/ Chord Hugo 2 is neither Resistor ladder, nor S-Master. Chord is Pulse-Arrays. It is more similar to S-Master but also different. Chord uses FPGA to control these Arrays (multiple elements of pulse driver), while Sony has it all built-In onto a chip. Lately, Sony mentioned that their S-Master limitations did not allow them to achieve higher power output. This limitations is not existed with Chord

3/ S-Master, is it Sony own just as much as Chord own design. It is also Pulse Code drivers as @Kira69 showed above, but my guess is that it was designed under a different method and language. Chord is increasing their element counts where as Sony has been improving the S-Master too, but not sure what they had been doing

All 3 technologies are very similar to Non Over Sampling, which is not found in any Delta-Sigma as they are natively oversampling. However, to claim that Delta-sigma has more distortions is more like biasing. Theoretically speaking, Non over Sampling has more distortions, and lower details, lower dynamic range with even higher noise floor but higher analog natural resemblances . By applying oversampling, the noise floor can be pushed further out of human hearing range while retaining and extracting all the details within the meaningful dynamic range, and ofcourse with different modulations, there are different sound signatures.

From what I have been observing, anything NOS that is done well, it has a very natural and organic timbres that is just right, for example WM1Z. For Delta-Sigma that is done right, the dynamic punches and bites are excellent, but details could be a little bit over saturated and less natural or less organic. About distortions, NOS would distort more than Sigma-Delta. But that is just me and my experiences. Neither has it done perfectly, you just need to know your preferences, and how you enjoy them. I have both, and R2R7 DAC and an LKS004 DAC, and previously had WM1Z, but traded for Dx200Titanium (unexpected)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #23,783 of 45,723
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #23,784 of 45,723

Gotta go through the journey to appreciate the destination :wink:

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #23,785 of 45,723
I switch between them a lot and love all three of them.
Could you eat some ramen and blogna sandwiches(no cheese, no mustard) For a while and make it happen?
Buy cheaper toilet paper and drink faucet water. It can all happen!! 6 minute max shower time and no more than 1 bulb on in the house at any one time?
Pay the minimum payment on your cards and you can make this happen!!

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #23,786 of 45,723
I might be a couple of years late to the party, but I`ve been enjoying my 1A ever since I got it earlier this week. Such a great DAP indeed. Build quality is excellent, build like a tank, nothing rattles, great battery life too. Just a joy to hold it. The OS is simple, yet very functional, solid and intuitive. Oh, sounds great as well. Great job Sony! Looking forward to the USB DAC feature.
My temp balanced setup :)

IMG_7240 (1).jpg

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #23,787 of 45,723
I might be a couple of years late to the party, but I`ve been enjoying my 1A ever since I got it earlier this week. Such a great DAP indeed. Build quality is excellent, build like a tank, nothing rattles, great battery life too. Just a joy to hold it. The OS is simple, yet very functional, solid and intuitive. Oh, sounds great as well. Great job Sony! Looking forward to the USB DAC feature.
My temp balanced setup :)

From your picture, I would get a better 3.5 mm to 4.4 mm adapter when you have more money. That Geekria is built on the cheap and actually degrade the sound of your balanced output quite a bit. I own one and it sounds bad next to the Pentaconn adapter that I built myself. You will thank me later when you have better adapter.

Sep 23, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #23,788 of 45,723
From your picture, I would get a better 3.5 mm to 4.4 mm adapter when you have more money. That Geekria is built on the cheap and actually degrade the sound of your balanced output quite a bit. I own one and it sounds bad next to the Pentaconn adapter that I built myself. You will thank me later when you have better adapter.
Do know of any decent 4.4 to 3.5 adapter that I can buy?

Sep 23, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #23,789 of 45,723
I switch between them a lot and love all three of them.
I think I'm going to save and try and get a good second hand lotoo paw gold in the future

Sep 23, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #23,790 of 45,723
Do know of any decent 4.4 to 3.5 adapter that I can buy?

I think Norne Audio can make you one. You can contract Drew of moon-audio and I'm sure that you can make some for you. Can you DIY? If so, I highly recommend it as such adapter can easily cost $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back