SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #23,791 of 45,723
Do know of any decent 4.4 to 3.5 adapter that I can buy?
Actually I am in process of buying a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male converter cable and another 4.4 to 2.5 mm silver from Triton Audio. I already got the same adapter although it’s for 2.5mm hybrid
It’s about $65 more or less. Sound Quality is really good
My advice go and get Triton 8 hybrid 4.4 cable and the 4.4 to 3.5mm converter cable; it is very reasonably priced around $270 or so and sound quality is comparable to $500 cable
It would make your 1A sing; increased clarity and resolution, bass hits harder and so on but may thin out the music; so may not be so good if your item is already thin sounding since Triton 8 can be very ruthless. On the other hand if your iem sound too thick and sounds veiled - this cable is the perfect solution in clearing up that veil and upping clarity and resolution

It takes less than 2 days to make the cable and probably you’ll get it in a week

Talk with @alpha@421 here on headfi. He is the owner

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #23,792 of 45,723
I might be a couple of years late to the party, but I`ve been enjoying my 1A ever since I got it earlier this week. Such a great DAP indeed. Build quality is excellent, build like a tank, nothing rattles, great battery life too. Just a joy to hold it. The OS is simple, yet very functional, solid and intuitive. Oh, sounds great as well. Great job Sony! Looking forward to the USB DAC feature.
My temp balanced setup :)

Is that a TRS 3.5mm into a TRRS 4.4mm? You can't plug SE into BAL... You are killing it

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #23,793 of 45,723
From your picture, I would get a better 3.5 mm to 4.4 mm adapter when you have more money. That Geekria is built on the cheap and actually degrade the sound of your balanced output quite a bit. I own one and it sounds bad next to the Pentaconn adapter that I built myself. You will thank me later when you have better adapter.

Yeah, it was a quite cheap 4.4 to 2.5 adapter. I only got it to check if the balanced output works since it was a used unit and I don`t have any 4.4 cables. Thanks for the suggestion, I will get something different until I decide on a better iem pair. P1 is fine but I would like more bass :)

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #23,795 of 45,723
That`s a 2.5 cable into 4.4 male to 2.5 female adapter. Not the best adapter but works for now.

All is good then. Well, as a temporary solution, adapters are fine. I have re-terminated most of my cables from 2.5mm to 4.4mm, as I foresee myself in the Sony eco-system for a long time to come. Besides, the 4.4mm is a much sturdier connection.

Now, I am in the camp of removing all 3.5mm from mobile phones.... Why are they still around at this day and age? They ought be replaced not by USB C or Lightning but by 4.4mm.. LOL....

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #23,800 of 45,723
I don’t care the move from 400-512Gb...how about 1Tb :D

512 (plus the 256 build in) would just be enough to fit all my music in 16/44 flac with a little left over so would be perfect for me

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #23,801 of 45,723
I think he has some biases from his feedbacks. You are asking for 3 different technology here. I am not an expert about them, but I did read about them. Here is what I found out

1/ R2R2000 is a resistor ladder type of conversion. Resistor ladders are full of errors and mistakes, and without a good FPGA+firmware, it would sound really really bad. Ask Rob from a Chord, and read his posts for more details

2/ Chord Hugo 2 is neither Resistor ladder, nor S-Master. Chord is Pulse-Arrays. It is more similar to S-Master but also different. Chord uses FPGA to control these Arrays (multiple elements of pulse driver), while Sony has it all built-In onto a chip. Lately, Sony mentioned that their S-Master limitations did not allow them to achieve higher power output. This limitations is not existed with Chord

3/ S-Master, is it Sony own just as much as Chord own design. It is also Pulse Code drivers as @Kira69 showed above, but my guess is that it was designed under a different method and language. Chord is increasing their element counts where as Sony has been improving the S-Master too, but not sure what they had been doing

All 3 technologies are very similar to Non Over Sampling, which is not found in any Delta-Sigma as they are natively oversampling. However, to claim that Delta-sigma has more distortions is more like biasing. Theoretically speaking, Non over Sampling has more distortions, and lower details, lower dynamic range with even higher noise floor but higher analog natural resemblances . By applying oversampling, the noise floor can be pushed further out of human hearing range while retaining and extracting all the details within the meaningful dynamic range, and ofcourse with different modulations, there are different sound signatures.

From what I have been observing, anything NOS that is done well, it has a very natural and organic timbres that is just right, for example WM1Z. For Delta-Sigma that is done right, the dynamic punches and bites are excellent, but details could be a little bit over saturated and less natural or less organic. About distortions, NOS would distort more than Sigma-Delta. But that is just me and my experiences. Neither has it done perfectly, you just need to know your preferences, and how you enjoy them. I have both, and R2R7 DAC and an LKS004 DAC, and previously had WM1Z, but traded for Dx200Titanium (unexpected)
I can attest this, I find the implementation of sony's S-Master on the WM1A (I know the TA-HAZ1ES has the 3rd gen of S-master HX) sounds pretty life like, analogue and organic, silky smooth flow of music

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #23,802 of 45,723
So what do you recommend for open back headphones to go with wm1a?

Sep 23, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #23,804 of 45,723
I've found both 1a/1z weak for most hp
Plenty spunk for iems

The 1Z on high gain balanced could make my HE-6 enjoyable but they clearly were not driven anywhere near their best. All other full size phones I have tried have been fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back