SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #24,587 of 45,723
my wm1a had restart loop after i added some playlists. so i've sent it to the german support. unfortunately i've got the message back, that a necessary required part is no longer obtainable. sony offered me to repay me the money.

because of this i need to buy a new dap and i would buy preferably another wm1a or maybe a wm1z. what concerns me is the fact that there are already parts which can't be replaced anymore. so is this the first sign of the next generation players or has someone similar experiences with the repair service?

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #24,588 of 45,723
I am a happy man today :)

After SMC and PRAM reset (attached photo) for Macbook Pro , finally WM1A USB DAC is working for iTunes, Spotify and Tidal. You may follow the steps given for Macbook Pro if you have USB DAC problem .

Screenshot_20181008-064945_Chrome.jpg 20181010_210517.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #24,590 of 45,723
my wm1a had restart loop after i added some playlists. so i've sent it to the german support. unfortunately i've got the message back, that a necessary required part is no longer obtainable. sony offered me to repay me the money.

because of this i need to buy a new dap and i would buy preferably another wm1a or maybe a wm1z. what concerns me is the fact that there are already parts which can't be replaced anymore. so is this the first sign of the next generation players or has someone similar experiences with the repair service?

This is absolute garbage from Sony. It is a software problem (I bet it rebooted or was turned off during build database function).

@kingdixon has fixed this with software on his unit.

This kind of support from Sony is downright dishonest. If @kingdixon heps get it going, I would report to EU authorities.

I would document the hell out of your entire experience and resurrection of the wm1az

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #24,592 of 45,723

This is absolute garbage from Sony. It is a software problem (I bet it rebooted or was turned off during build database function).

@kingdixon has fixed this with software on his unit.

This kind of support from Sony is downright dishonest. If @kingdixon heps get it going, I would report to EU authorities.

Well, yee i solved my bootloop a while ago, no problems since, also updated to 3.0 firmware 2 or 3 days ago and have no problems but i am not using any of the new features may be only the vinyl one.

my problem was a corrupted database that caused the bootloop, but i don't know about his case, may be its absolute garbage from them, or may be a piece of his hardware gone bad for ex: internal memory or something .. who knows !! but for sure they are not being open and honest about it, i think one deserves a more clear explanation of what exactly happened.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #24,593 of 45,723
Correct me if I am wrong here. The software you install on your Computer right?
Also As it is 3rd party in EU your Warranty is invalidated.

You don’t install anything on your computer, but yes you run a prom on your computer that changes the region con on the WM player. Yes if you send it in for repair to Sony with the region code changed you might have invalidated your warranty but unless your player is in a state where it can’t be started you can just change the region back

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #24,596 of 45,723
Hi, may I ask what music playback software you used on your Mac with successful results?
iTunes, audirvana, Spotify tidal?

I have set the WM1z as system audio so it plays from iTunes and from Safari. That's how I experienced youtube video being out of sync. I also set WM1z from both JRiver and Audirvana and both work. Basically if you can use the DAC feature as system audio, then it will work with whatever media player you like.

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #24,598 of 45,723
ABout FW .1.2 it has a diferent layering an positioning of the sound elements voice is more aligned to head... center, trebble sounds splashy bass sounds good in amount best bass amount in all three versions, 2,0 sounds cleaner less congested voice is a little forward stage is a little bigger, less bass and a more analitical trebble also a little more harsh trebble, 3.0 sounds even cleaner but vocals lack the warm of the other two...and treblle is a notch up again..

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #24,599 of 45,723

GO Z or go other brand sony did the same thing to me in an really expensive TV it briked...sony must learn to take care of their customers more seriously

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #24,600 of 45,723
Was expecting Sony to have this around for at least 5-6 years from initial release. Not a promising sign considering it’s still listed in Sony website. So ppl are taking a chance but atleast they are offering money back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back