SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #24,601 of 45,723
my wm1a had restart loop after i added some playlists. so i've sent it to the german support. unfortunately i've got the message back, that a necessary required part is no longer obtainable. sony offered me to repay me the money.

because of this i need to buy a new dap and i would buy preferably another wm1a or maybe a wm1z. what concerns me is the fact that there are already parts which can't be replaced anymore. so is this the first sign of the next generation players or has someone similar experiences with the repair service?

So they can't even get a hold of a new WM1A to replace yours? I was told that the ZX2 had a replacement warranty and no repairs would be attempted within the warranty period.

I was suspicious if production has stopped since it was quite hard for me to even find a place with stock of the WM1A when I had to replace my ZX2 this summer. I ended up just buying the last one from amazon.ca themselves. The local hi-fi shop was back-ordered for over a month and refused to sell me the demo unit so I cancelled my order with them.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #24,602 of 45,723
my wm1a had restart loop after i added some playlists. so i've sent it to the german support. unfortunately i've got the message back, that a necessary required part is no longer obtainable. sony offered me to repay me the money.

because of this i need to buy a new dap and i would buy preferably another wm1a or maybe a wm1z. what concerns me is the fact that there are already parts which can't be replaced anymore. so is this the first sign of the next generation players or has someone similar experiences with the repair service?

That’s a worry if Sony doesn’t have the required part to fix the WM1A. That’s good they offered your money back, so was it out of warranty. So why buy another WM1A if the same thing is going to happen if they don’t have the parts. So when my Sony WM1Z runs out of battery, they won’t have the required part to fix it. I’d have to buy another Sony Dap.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #24,603 of 45,723
So they can't even get a hold of a new WM1A to replace yours? I was told that the ZX2 had a replacement warranty and no repairs would be attempted within the warranty period.

I was suspicious if production has stopped since it was quite hard for me to even find a place with stock of the WM1A when I had to replace my ZX2 this summer. I ended up just buying the last one from amazon.ca themselves. The local hi-fi shop was back-ordered for over a month and refused to sell me the demo unit so I cancelled my order with them.

On the Sony Australian Website the WM1A is built to order which takes 8 weeks to build. So I’m sure they’ll still have parts. I would contact directly Sony support where you bought it from.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #24,607 of 45,723
Well - I wanted to post this earlier however I decided to do more testing.
Scenario - WM1Z > Sony supplied USB cable> Apple CCK > iPhone XS Max

It seems that the FIRST time trying to use the USB DAC function results in no music being played - both in Tidal and Spotify (I initially thought it was only a Tidal problem)
You need to quit out of the app (Tidal or Spotify) and open it again - Music then plays on the second attempt.

The short of it is that the USB DAC function does not work on the initial attempt - only on the second.

Anyone else having this problem?

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #24,608 of 45,723
Man the 1Z with the Sony N3 IEMs is a refreshing combination now with FW 3.0. The N3 used to get a little criticism with the bass not being quite as tight as the flagship Z5. Though the N3 has many other things going for it. And it seems the update actually improved the N3 bass across the board.

1) The N3 comes with both Sony Hybrid and Triple Comfort Tips.
2) The N3 is one of the most comfortable IEMs out there.
3) Many love the way the N3 does vocals.
4) We now have some special synergy with FW 3.0 and the 1Z
5) The N3 can be purchased stock with Sony Pentaconn 4.4mm.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #24,610 of 45,723
The USB DAC mode, with macOS (Mojave), results in a whole bunch of duplicated output options appearing in the Audio-Midi Utility (e.g. multiple selections for 2ch, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, etc.).

If you pick the right one, it plays fine with everything from iTunes to Audirvana+.

Though with Audirvana+, so far, I've had to turn off exclusive mode, large buffers and integer output to get it to work reliably. And if your playlist switches sample rates, there's a better than even chance that the settings Audirvana+ picks for the output will be one of those that doesn't work (and you have to manually pick one that does ... which you can do on the fly).

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #24,612 of 45,723
C450012F-BD3F-48EB-B75B-A9004C143DE0.gif
Im loving V 1.2 its awesome Stage and bass IMO better than 2.0 and 3.0 may be delusion...

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #24,613 of 45,723
The USB DAC mode, with macOS (Mojave), results in a whole bunch of duplicated output options appearing in the Audio-Midi Utility (e.g. multiple selections for 2ch, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, etc.).

If you pick the right one, it plays fine with everything from iTunes to Audirvana+.

Though with Audirvana+, so far, I've had to turn off exclusive mode, large buffers and integer output to get it to work reliably. And if your playlist switches sample rates, there's a better than even chance that the settings Audirvana+ picks for the output will be one of those that doesn't work (and you have to manually pick one that does ... which you can do on the fly).

I saw that too. It's definitely trial and error for system audio, but once you get it to work, system will remember it. I am using JRiver and have had no issues with all the sampling rates up to 196 and switching on the fly per track. I am on about 80 hrs of continuous play of my burn in playlist which contain an even distribution of 44 to 196 sampling rates. I have exclusive mode and integer enabled in JRiver and MacBook Pro 2016 Mojave.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #24,614 of 45,723
Lol, it's embarrassing but I mostly use my 1z with Bluetooth to stream to it. When I find a track I download it and store it in the player but bt is almost exclusively

The problem is the battery drains far faster and I'm afraid it will shorten the 1z overall life

BT is offering me 85% perceived Sq over local play, im happy enough for that for casual listening/discovery

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #24,615 of 45,723
4 days back on fw 2.0 and not a single crash compared with a crash every 2-3 hours on fw 3.0. I'll stay on 2.0 as I didn't really need any of the 3.0 features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back