SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #24,529 of 45,723
This product doesn’t seem to be fit for EU Region, with that terrible volume limit. Why would anyone in Europe spend £1000 and then find out the volume is limited.

Anyone on this thread use a Volume limit model?

That unfortunately is the law in EU but you can just remove the cap

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #24,530 of 45,723
Maybe the installers are specific to region and having conflict?

I have Korean wm and downloaded from SE Asia Sony website. Also I have US zx300 and downloaded the install program from US website.

The fw installers should be identical for alle regions since it is not the fw that implements region differences

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #24,532 of 45,723
Seems only Sony implement it though, other players aren't capped.

Yes Sony do seem to be the only ones. Perhaps because of their size and market penetration they don’t want to be seen breaking regulations.

As I remember Apple also complied with the iPod

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #24,533 of 45,723
Yes Sony do seem to be the only ones. Perhaps because of their size and market penetration they don’t want to be seen breaking regulations.

As I remember Apple also complied with the iPod

The specification is 85 dB max, but users can override up to 100 dB. Of course the ridiculousness of this regulation is that no 2 headphones will produce the same volume at a given power level so even 100 dB may be too low. Sony apparently has decided not to add the override option for whatever reason.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #24,534 of 45,723
The specification is 85 dB max, but users can override up to 100 dB. Of course the ridiculousness of this regulation is that no 2 headphones will produce the same volume at a given power level so even 100 dB may be too low. Sony apparently has decided not to add the override option for whatever reason.

As I remember the original regulation was that the limit had to based on the included headphones but was then changed. And yes it totally depends on the load

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #24,536 of 45,723
These amps are illegal in EU too:

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #24,538 of 45,723
No it can’t be. The EU versions probably have the volume regulation in their installer for example.

If that was the case the cap should be reestablished when installing a new fw version but it isn’t, once removed with the rockbox tool it stays removed, so I don’t beleive that the cap comes from the fw and I’m sure that there is only one fw for all regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back