SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #23,206 of 45,723
You are using the wrong headphone output. :)
LOL, it's 3.5mm SE output. I only have 2.5mm BAL cable at the moment. Run in SE side first :D

Placed order for 4.4mm male to 2.5mm female adaptor and 4.4mm silver cable MMCX type.

Wait until you go the other side, and you'll be surprised

Let try one side first then the other side , I will patiently wait to observe the progressive changes and enjoy the music .:L3000:

is it a 4.4 cable ? he is using the SE output

No, it's 3.5mm High 4 Strands 19 Core Silver-Plated cable

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #23,207 of 45,723
Aug 31, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #23,208 of 45,723
I need it for both purposes and audio. Whatever Sony puts out, its the best at that time of release.
So I don’t under what’s your point. But it doesnt matter. Since balanced daps are out now and no one needs legacy features.
You’re probably one of those who think new is better.

Provided you want those 2 things. I for one don’t care one bit for either, all I want is the best device to play my on board music collection

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #23,209 of 45,723
I need it for both purposes and audio. Whatever Sony puts out, its the best at that time of release.
So I don’t under what’s your point. But it doesnt matter. Since balanced daps are out now and no one needs legacy features.
You’re probably one of those who think new is better.

I don’t at all get what you are trying to say nor how you get to your conclusion about what I prefer. I had the ZX2 and now have the 1Z as I think it sounds considerably better and I don’t agree that the market expects internet nor video in a MUSIC player, I just expect it to play music and couldn’t care less about the presence of internet and video capabilities, didn’t use them on ZX2.

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #23,210 of 45,723
are people still comparing zx2 to wm1z ?

wm1z sounded quite better than my wm1a which sounded quite better than my zx2 , so i don't think that zx2/wm1z are in the same ballpark (nor should they be , considering their vast price difference)

to me , sony is amazing as it gifted us with 2 amazing DAPs, at 2 different price levels, so as to cater to a wide range of music lovers/junkies :metal::pray::muscle:

if you can afford it , go for wm1z - if not is wm1a is a great alternative (without breaking your wallet)

everybody wins , very happy to see SONY back on top

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #23,212 of 45,723
300 hours of burn in and here are my impressions paired with my Laylas with a 2.5mm to 4.4mm balanced adapter.

In brief, the WM1z sounds a lot like ALO CDM. Up until now, I have proclaimed the ALO CDM as the best pairing with Laylas. WM1z has equaled ALO CDM imho and surpassed it from a technology perspective since the ALO still needed a top class DAC to be at its' best, like a Hugo 2. My ALO CDM is up for sale in classified. My impressions of the WM1z below are pretty much the same for ALO CDM (as an amp only). I also used Direct Sound mode in the WM1z with volume at 68-72, normal gain. My Layla bass dials are at middle 12'0clock (+0 db).

More in-depth - Many have characterized WM1z as "warm", however that is a very broad statement and personally, I find the term "warm" over used on audio impressions. I think most folks will describe something as "warm" as long as it doesn't sound thin and shrill like an IEM that's not fully sealed in one's ear. My point is, I don't think it helps a whole lot to say WM1z sounds "warm" so here are my notes and also comparison to my former SP1000 (stainless steel).

Lows - I would describe WM1z low end as accurate, moderately fast, and very well extended. Absolutely no fat in the mid bass. There is a little bit of liquidity to the low end which is what I prefer. The SP1000 on the other hand was faster and tighter with a bit more extension. Note, Laylas use BA drivers so my impressions may not apply to dynamic drivers.

Mid - Very nice presentation. Not too forward and not too laid back. Compared to SP1000, WM1z has a little more weight in the mids making the sound not quite as fast as SP1000. The difference is not as much as the lows though. While a little thicker in sound, there is no loss of definition and separation.

Highs - This was the most surprising to me in a good way. The WM1z is very clear, spacious, sparkly, but not fatiguing. SP1000 sounded slightly more diffused than WM1z that gives the perception of a wider sound stage, whereas the WM1a is more intimate in comparison. I prefer WM1z. This is also where I think some people mistakenly take "warm" to mean rolled off treble. This is 100% not the case with WM1z. Don't expect a hot treble sounding headphone to sound tame with WM1z. It will still be quite hot. You may get less distortion to take some edge (ringing) off but that's about it.

Details and Presentation - I would say SP1000 and WM1z are pretty much equal in the amount of micro details that they can dish out. Both are especially impressive in the amount of details in the bass and sub bass areas. SP1000 imho has a larger sound stage but not by much. I do have one caveat about sound stage comparison. With SP1000 I had a 2.5mm terminated cable. With WM1z, I have to use an adapter. I don't believe I have an optimal level of signal separation using and adapter and must try a 4.4mm terminated cable to really compare apples to apples. I should have a new cable for my Laylas in a few weeks so will update once I receive.

Summary - I don't think anyone would find WM1z lacking in sound capability. It will not color your headphones so you will hear what your headphones were designed to do. The real question is the price. Is the huge premium worth it over 1a or even ZX300? That really depends on each and every owner. Yes, it's a cliche statement so let me add my twist to that. If your are the type who starts off with something below the top model and find yourself trading up over time, then I would say just cut to the chase and get the WM1z. If you don't get those impulses and have very good fiscal discipline, then I think the WM1a is a much better choice although I have not tried it myself. At the end of the day, it's about enjoying your music and part of that is not feeling regret for spending what you did on your sound system. You know what I regret? Having to buy 8 wire cables every time because of the 4 pin connectors on JH Laylas! Yes, they are literally twice as expensive as normal cables.

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #23,213 of 45,723
300 hours of burn in and here are my impressions paired with my Laylas with a 2.5mm to 4.4mm balanced adapter.

here are my notes and also comparison to my former SP1000 (stainless steel).

With SP1000 I had a 2.5mm terminated cable. With WM1z, I have to use an adapter. I don't believe I have an optimal level of signal separation using and adapter and must try a 4.4mm terminated cable to really compare apples to apples. I should have a new cable for my Laylas in a few weeks so will update once I receive.

great impressions , and i bet your wm1z will get even better until 500 hours , plus the sub-cable issue is killing some SQ too

looks like wm1z is as good (if not better) than SP1000 , and seeing that a)it has a much bigger battery , b)has a more natural sound , c) can be had (used/mint) for way less money than a SP1000

makes me think that wm1z is the winner in this ''battle of the dap titans''

ps : i need to get a wm1z when money comes around (keep on dreaming huh)

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #23,214 of 45,723
Is there a big step up from SE to Balanced with Sennheiser HD6xx / HD600 / HD650?

I’ve previously (several years ago) found that the Sen HD6.. phones are some of the ones that most benefit from balanced

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #23,215 of 45,723
great impressions , and i bet your wm1z will get even better until 500 hours , plus the sub-cable issue is killing some SQ too

looks like wm1z is as good (if not better) than SP1000 , and seeing that a)it has a much bigger battery , b)has a more natural sound , c) can be had (used/mint) for way less money than a SP1000

makes me think that wm1z is the winner in this ''battle of the dap titans''

ps : i need to get a wm1z when money comes around (keep on dreaming huh)

after 10 days with spcu and 1z this was my surprise conclusion too.. and unlike the SPcu, it doesnt look like something off my great aunt's mantel piece above the fire just a really subdued golden house brick :)

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #23,216 of 45,723
after 10 days with spcu and 1z this was my surprise conclusion too.. and unlike the SPcu, it doesnt look like something off my great aunt's mantel piece above the fire just a really subdued golden house brick :)

you are not helping here (never try what you can not afford - the first rule of the headfi club)

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #23,217 of 45,723
Aug 31, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #23,218 of 45,723
Aug 31, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #23,219 of 45,723
Looks like currently audio is at it's peak for Sony and AK.

Wonder who will have the next big move on new TOTL DAP.

With the update coming, i don't think Sony is moving yet for at least for 1-2 more year.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #23,220 of 45,723
Hi guys. I’m selling my wm1a due to the lacking of enough power to drive my th900 MK2. Can’t stand the sibilance it creates. Perhaps I need a desktop dac/amp with more power and better control to go along with my headphone? Or I’m not setting my wm1a up probably? Can anyone persuade me to hold it, because I’m not sure whether I have made the best out of it. I use balance output btw.

With your 1A as a file source; I bet a balanced cable would make your Fostex headphones sound good from the TA amp.
https://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-balanced-headphone-cable-for-th900-mkii.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back