SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #23,221 of 45,723
With your 1A as a file source; I bet a balanced cable would make your Fostex headphones sound good from the TA amp.
https://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-balanced-headphone-cable-for-th900-mkii.html
Thank you for your recommendation. Actually I’m using that balanced cable right now. My theory now is that 1a doesn’t have the control level TH900 deadly needs. What about the sound control quality of TA amp? Actually can I have a full name of the amp? Cheers.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #23,222 of 45,723
Thank you for your recommendation. Actually I’m using that balanced cable right now. My theory now is that 1a doesn’t have the control level TH900 deadly needs. What about the sound control quality of TA amp? Actually can I have a full name of the amp? Cheers.
Sony TA-ZH1ES

Your balanced is 4 pin XLR?

Just a suggestion and this is rare as I almost never ever recommend something I have not heard. But the TA is on the warm side and may smooth the treble some. Also the damping factor will get you more controlled bass, which will sound cleaner and seem to have better controlled bass extension. Though keep in mind this is all a pure guess on my part. But the 1A is the best sounding file player for the amp; better than computer or CD.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #23,223 of 45,723
Sony TA-ZH1ES

Your balanced is 4 pin XLR?

Just a suggestion and this is rare as I almost never ever recommend something I have not heard. But the TA is on the warm side and may smooth the treble some. Also the damping factor will get you more controlled bass, which will sound cleaner and seem to have better controlled bass extension. Though keep in mind this is all a pure guess on my part. But the 1A is the best sounding file player for the amp; better than computer or CD.
Yeah, it’s 4pin XLR.

All right. I might try a demo in shops. Thanks anyway.

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #23,224 of 45,723
Yeah, it’s 4pin XLR.

All right. I might try a demo in shops. Thanks anyway.

There is no shame in using the EQ. As a former TH900 owner, I think the majority of owners EQ to some extent. You don't need to a lot - +3-4 dB in the mids and -3-4 dB in the hot peaky treble region.

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #23,225 of 45,723
Is there a big step up from SE to Balanced with Sennheiser HD6xx / HD600 / HD650?

In the first month I had my 1A, I was pretty obsessive when it came to switching cables and using adapters to make sure I plugged in to the 4.4mm balanced jack.
But over time, I've gotten lazy and just left whichever cable I have on and just connect to either SE or balanced. Either way, I still enjoy my music very much because the 1A has demonstrated that it's a very solid platform either way.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #23,226 of 45,723
There is no shame in using the EQ. As a former TH900 owner, I think the majority of owners EQ to some extent. You don't need to a lot - +3-4 dB in the mids and -3-4 dB in the hot peaky treble region.
Yes. Agree with you. EQ helps. But in my case, the sibilance still exists even when I dampened the highs (3KHz - 8KHz) to the lowest which is -10dB.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #23,227 of 45,723
Yes. Agree with you. EQ helps. But in my case, the sibilance still exists even when I dampened the highs (3KHz - 8KHz) to the lowest which is -10dB.

In all seriousness, -10 dB would indicate you should go with different headphones. TH900 isn't for everyone and a good number of owners spend a lot on mods. Given the fact that TH900 is an open back headphone for all intent and purposes, you have a wide selection of full size headphones in that price range. I will admit, the bass on TH900 is something unique.

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #23,228 of 45,723

I only EQ my Noble Encore IEMs. Same way too, just a little off the mid and a little off the treble. If you have a headphone that you really like and can someway slightly EQ your way around; it’s a good thing. Everyone’s sensitivity to hot treble is different. Tube amps can add harmonic complexity to smooth it out also. Copper cables can tune the signature to a smoother area too. Though there is nothing wrong with eventually coming to the conclusion you need different headphones. Life is too short to put up with the wrong signature.

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #23,229 of 45,723
Is there a big step up from SE to Balanced with Sennheiser HD6xx / HD600 / HD650?

I can check and get back to you later today.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #23,230 of 45,723
Hi.
I've been a bit away from this thread.
is there a list of different price and performance categories for iems or headphones that work well with wm1a? I need to reform my sennheiser ie80. It's time to upgrade.
Thanks.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #23,231 of 45,723
Going through security in Copenhagen airport my tray went through the scanner 3 times and they finally quizzed me on what that heavy block that the scanner couldn’t penetrate was.

They’d never seen a 500 gram lump of copper like that before :)

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #23,233 of 45,723
Going through security in Copenhagen airport my tray went through the scanner 3 times and they finally quizzed me on what that heavy block that the scanner couldn’t penetrate was.

They’d never seen a 500 gram lump of copper like that before :)

I used to get flagged often due to my wm1z. The TSA officer at ohare airport showed me the scan . It is bright on X-ray hence flagged.. nowadays I remove it with my laptop with case open and player on.. not flagged even once since at most international airports..

Pc

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #23,234 of 45,723
I used to get flagged often due to my wm1z. The TSA officer at ohare airport showed me the scan . It is bright on X-ray hence flagged.. nowadays I remove it with my laptop with case open and player on.. not flagged even once since at most international airports..

Pc

I always put it in the tech tray with laptop, iPad, Kindle and reMarkable tablet so in full view

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #23,235 of 45,723
I am trying out @nc8000 trick, of downsampling DSD & HR to 16/44 or 48 and i've tranferred way more music, and this is just the 400GB card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back