SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #19,697 of 45,723
Do you use your WM1A/1Z on your car stereo via aux in (or USB device, be it Digital out DAC or as USB hard drive)? or just use another USB dongle such a Sandisk?

I was using my WM1A with aux-in, while it sounded good, the problems with insecurity and crime rising, made me switch to a dongle. Preferrable the Sandisk USB to be stolen than my more expensive WM1A at the expense of waiting for on-the-fly conversion to MP3 to take place

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #19,698 of 45,723
Yeah I'm gonna go to best buy and switch it out. A few of my friends however did say that the switches on general should always have wiggle room. Apparently a switch could break easier if it is to firm. But I don't care I like a solid feeling product lol.
Though i dont have a WM1A, the few I checked at Sony store had the wiggle and so does my zx300.

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #19,699 of 45,723
Though i dont have a WM1A, the few I checked at Sony store had the wiggle and so does my zx300.

Woah dude that's creepy I'm at best buy right now and yeah even the store model has a wiggle when you have your thumb against it going up and down a bit. I think it's normal good. I spent to much time putting my bookmarks together on the device. Thanks bro

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #19,700 of 45,723
Woah dude that's creepy I'm at best buy right now and yeah even the store model has a wiggle when you have your thumb against it going up and down a bit. I think it's normal good. I spent to much time putting my bookmarks together on the device. Thanks bro
Yes, I think it is normal that some unit have a little wiggle and it is not defective. There is probably some protection on how they design it to not detach. And probably you do not use this switch that much. Mine, I just switch it only once just to test and I have mine for a year already. All of the button are stiff so, it is hard to accidentally press it even inside your pocket.

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #19,701 of 45,723
Yes, I think it is normal that some unit have a little wiggle and it is not defective. There is probably some protection on how they design it to not detach. And probably you do not use this switch that much. Mine, I just switch it only once just to test and I have mine for a year already. All of the button are stiff so, it is hard to accidentally press it even inside your pocket.

Hey thanks, yeah you're right I'll probably never use the hold switch as much anyway. I think maybe the units that are as stiff maybe just due to non use. But needless to say I don't think it's a defect at all anymore.

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #19,702 of 45,723
Hey thanks, yeah you're right I'll probably never use the hold switch as much anyway. I think maybe the units that are as stiff maybe just due to non use. But needless to say I don't think it's a defect at all anymore.
My advice is, if you do not have one yet is to protect your unit with at least a Benk TPU gel case. It is very nice and cheap, I like it more than my original case from Sony. I get mine from Amazon.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #19,704 of 45,723
When transferring music to the device, how does it work? In my initial transfer, obviously everything needs to be copied over, but after that, what happens? Say I have the "content transfer" application watching a particular folder, is it smart enough to only transfer *new* items or does it do it all over again?

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #19,705 of 45,723
I think your missing out with your Walkman. Although Z5 is a great earphone, I feel it best suits the ZX2/ZX1 & PHA amplifiers. Testing balanced with iSine 20 for example (in my case) just drowns the Z5 in terms of sound. The sound is much cleaner and the bass is lowered making the isine20 a clear winner. I’m pretty sure there are other earphones but for me the Z5 is paired better with the above.
Yeah i Know, even my XBA-Z5 get perfectly driven, bass tight but not boom boom, i think as you said, the Kettle drums in symphonic peices used to sound like a Boom boomm, but since hearing the 1A they sounds like a crispy Bang Bang (unless the recording has some thing bad in its chain), the slam of the membrane is feels just right.

I wish i had those sony NC phones to test these 150 ohms impedance driveability on High gain

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #19,706 of 45,723
I think your missing out with your Walkman. Although Z5 is a great earphone, I feel it best suits the ZX2/ZX1 & PHA amplifiers. Testing balanced with iSine 20 for example (in my case) just drowns the Z5 in terms of sound. The sound is much cleaner and the bass is lowered making the isine20 a clear winner. I’m pretty sure there are other earphones but for me the Z5 is paired better with the above.

Personal preferences, synergy is a real thing

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #19,708 of 45,723
When transferring music to the device, how does it work? In my initial transfer, obviously everything needs to be copied over, but after that, what happens? Say I have the "content transfer" application watching a particular folder, is it smart enough to only transfer *new* items or does it do it all over again?
Content transfer is manual transfer

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #19,709 of 45,723
XBA Z5 displays great synergy with my 1Z.

Sony most probably used these as a reference for tuning when developing the 1Z /1A as well.

Cables will also help with the synergy. If one is serious about keeping the system, may want to invest into some real cables that can cater to the synergy to improve it

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #19,710 of 45,723
I love how well the Z5 pair with my WM1A using balanced high gain, Isines are the ugliest phones i have ever seen IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back