SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #19,666 of 45,723
well i heard the wm1a and compared to my cowon plenue s, the wm1a sounded really nice, but still the cowon plenue s had the upper hand in details and ease of use.

scanning a 200 gb sd card was a bit frustrating on the wm1a while super fast on cowon

wm1a is a great dap, and now my interest is to try to listen to a wm1z and compare it to my cowon plenue s which is till this date the best dap I own

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #19,667 of 45,723
No hard facts.
But people talk about it in the back, and the facts that websites that are usually not cheap are now discounting brand new WM1A/Z at -35% is usually a sign that stocks have to go before a new line-up comes in.

Where did you see that at?

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #19,669 of 45,723
On 2 major audiophile websites in France. Same price change at the same moment, and since they're usually not competing on prices at all, the rebate is certainly not their decision, but rather some sales from Sony.

Ah, thank you. Don't see anything like that yet in the US (I'll search more).

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #19,670 of 45,723
Sony music center is practically unusable for me. It wont do snap assist in windows, it doesnt have hotkeys to open file properties (alt + enter), when you grab an album and edit properties without opening the tracklisting, the properties lacks fields for album name, what the heck is a titles initial and artists initial field anyway, is that even a standardized metadata?

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #19,671 of 45,723
How do you exactly know when a headphone is being driven correctly?

It is not the loudness. It is the Dynamics . It is pretty easy to observe. You will feel like the headphones has no life to it, kind of like lifeless. When it is driven properly or something is able to drive it, the channel separations shall be crystal clear, details, resolutions, dynamics are all presenting. Now, if you want to know whether it can be driven better ? You need to try it from different amplifiers to hear it. When something is being driven Properly and optimized, the soundstage and layering, separations shall be vastly increased. Especially the punchy dynamics, it shall be stronger, denser and more energetic.

The 1Z is warmer, and I do think the 800S is a perfect synergy for the 1Z. The 800s is super Flat, huge soundstage that compliment the 1Z narrower soundstage, the vertical sense of rendering is nicely done on this combination. Trebles is dense and have the right kind of sparkling to it. I will be upgrading the cables for the 1Z soon.

Now, you can question me the next one, what is the Dynamic I keep talking about. It is the inner forces of an instrument that is making sound by the external forces applied on it, resonating within it housing, and creates a sound. If you are able to tell a healthy bass (resonates from the drum housing) and then the vibrating energy of it. I use example of the drums is because it is the easiest to understand and observe. When you can only hear Flat bass that you can not tell whether or not it is drum set 1 or 2 or 3 or where it is coming from, that is a headphones being under driven.

I hope that answered your question

The Dynamic is the punches and the energy that tell you different sizes of drums being played.

The fidelity is similar to the Dynamic, but take it a little further, it will show you the sound of that specific instrument from the beginning to the end of the plays and can not be confused by something else, even the same kind, but different size, or different plays. When the Fidelity is good, you will be able to pick and take a part virtually every instrument, note, play, from the beginning to the end of it. This usually only present in desktop of high quality system, and will cost an arm and a leg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #19,672 of 45,723
It is not the loudness. It is the Dynamics . It is pretty easy to observe. You will feel like the headphones has no life to it, kind of like lifeless. When it is driven properly or something is able to drive it, the channel separations shall be crystal clear, details, resolutions, dynamics are all presenting. Now, if you want to know whether it can be driven better ? You need to try it from different amplifiers to hear it. When something is being driven Properly and optimized, the soundstage and layering, separations shall be vastly increased. Especially the punchy dynamics, it shall be stronger, denser and more energetic.

The 1Z is warmer, and I do think the 800S is a perfect synergy for the 1Z. The 800s is super Flat, huge soundstage that compliment the 1Z narrower soundstage, the vertical sense of rendering is nicely done on this combination. Trebles is dense and have the right kind of sparkling to it. I will be upgrading the cables for the 1Z soon.

Now, you can question me the next one, what is the Dynamic I keep talking about. It is the inner forces of an instrument that is making sound by the external forces applied on it, resonating within it housing, and creates a sound. If you are able to tell a healthy bass (resonates from the drum housing) and then the vibrating energy of it. I use example of the drums is because it is the easiest to understand and observe. When you can only hear Flat bass that you can not tell whether or not it is drum set 1 or 2 or 3 or where it is coming from, that is a headphones being under driven.

I hope that answered your question

The Dynamic is the punches and the energy that tell you different sizes of drums being played.

The fidelity is similar to the Dynamic, but take it a little further, it will show you the sound of that specific instrument from the beginning to the end of the plays and can not be confused by something else, even the same kind, but different size, or different plays. When the Fidelity is good, you will be able to pick and take a part virtually every instrument, note, play, from the beginning to the end of it. This usually only present in desktop of high quality system, and will cost an arm and a leg
Thanks, so boomy bass can be a sign of HPs being under driven? (or can be sign they are crap). Listening to last movement of Mozart String quartet No. 15, hell those Z7s wow, man it's like i am rediscovering those mozart Quartets, the subtle sound of a pianissimo cello with it's distictive deep rumble surprised me , a moment of eargasm.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #19,673 of 45,723
Sony music center is practically unusable for me. It wont do snap assist in windows, it doesnt have hotkeys to open file properties (alt + enter), when you grab an album and edit properties without opening the tracklisting, the properties lacks fields for album name, what the heck is a titles initial and artists initial field anyway, is that even a standardized metadata?
If you still have Media Go setup exe then uninstall Music center and reinstall media Go. But If you want to edit your tags, why not try MP3Tag, it handles every format you can think of, even DSD

Tagging standard hmm thats the problem, FLAC uses TRACKTOTAL and DISCTOTAL for disc and track count, but DSD uses IDV3 tags so it does not has fields for these two items

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #19,674 of 45,723
Thanks, so boomy bass can be a sign of HPs being under driven? (or can be sign they are crap). Listening to last movement of Mozart String quartet No. 15, hell those Z7s wow, man it's like i am rediscovering those mozart Quartets, the subtle sound of a pianissimo cello with it's distictive deep rumble surprised me , a moment of eargasm.

Yes, it can be said so, just as long as the headphones bass or drum kicks or drum slams feel like it is flat on it face. There is no distinctive dynamic energy behind the plays, it is under driven

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #19,675 of 45,723
Yes, it can be said so, just as long as the headphones bass or drum kicks or drum slams feel like it is flat on it face. There is no distinctive dynamic energy behind the plays, it is under driven

I fear this is not an honest assessment Whitigir. I don't want you to give incorrect advice. @gerelmx1986, I want you to know that unless the WM1Z/A is a variable gain volume control, what you're hearing is not an underdriven headphone. An underdriven headphone will only sound quieter than its well-driven cousin.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #19,677 of 45,723
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #19,679 of 45,723
I just wish they could release a slimmer balanced dap with all the bells and whistles. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice for its size, but it’s just reminds me of their F100 walkmans which were much slimmer.
If a cassette Walkman can be slimmed to the size of cassette, I don’t want the Walkman slimmed to an sd card size but something in between the WM and Z1060

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #19,680 of 45,723
I just wish they could release a slimmer balanced dap with all the bells and whistles. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice for its size, but it’s just reminds me of their F100 walkmans which were much slimmer.
If a cassette Walkman can be slimmed to the size of cassette, I don’t want the Walkman slimmed to an sd card size but something in between the WM and Z1060

NW-ZX300

Also, if 1Z drive 800s to acceptable level, then z7 shall be np @gerelmx1986

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back