SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #18,976 of 45,723
Mar 12, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #18,977 of 45,723
I don’t know of any player where the internal memory is not soldered to the motherboard.

Venturecraft Valoq. The player reads and boots off a internal microsd card.

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #18,978 of 45,723
Venturecraft Valoq. The player reads and boots off a internal microsd card.

Interesting, never heard about that one. According to the spec sheet though it has about 6GB of internal memory plus one microSD slot

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #18,979 of 45,723
Interesting, never heard about that one. According to the spec sheet though it has about 6GB of internal memory plus one microSD slot

Yep, there's an internal card slot which is only accessible when you open up the player, and an external card slot.

You can even get the Valoq officially upgraded with more internal memory by taking the player back to distributors and they will swap the internal card for a bigger one for a fee. Can't do it yourself though because Venturecraft did some thing to those cards, probably writing the firmware and boot sector somewhere or something like that.

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #18,980 of 45,723
Didn't realize i was using BatteryCare ON, still at 90% charge, pretty impressive battery life
That's indeed impressive. You got a lucky unit.

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #18,981 of 45,723
I prefer to listen to the 1z with Direct Source, but I also like the Dynamic Normalizer function. Has anyone noticed a difference in sq between playing with Direct Source, vs turning off the other sound adjustment functions, flat lining the equalizer and just leaving the Dynamic Normalizer on? I'm still playing with these two options. Thanks for your opinions!

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #18,982 of 45,723
I prefer to listen to the 1z with Direct Source, but I also like the Dynamic Normalizer function. Has anyone noticed a difference in sq between playing with Direct Source, vs turning off the other sound adjustment functions, flat lining the equalizer and just leaving the Dynamic Normalizer on? I'm still playing with these two options. Thanks for your opinions!
I think source direct gives you the best sound, next best soun IMHO is DSEE HX + DC Phase lienarizer and next best SQ is just DSEE HX. The normalizer just compresses dynamic range to make tracks sound louder, not my like.

DIRECT gives you more warmth, more organic sound, on the other hand DSEE HX + dc phase lienarizer gives you a more expanded sound, mor eveloping, more details, tracks sound with more details (at the expense of high battery consuption)

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #18,983 of 45,723
Any post-hoc processing affects sound quality. These features (e.g. normalizer, EQ, even DSEE HX) add additional components in signal processing. Usually SQ gets deteriorated to a certain degree, or at least it becomes something different from the original recording. Especially, the normalizer directly manipulate the dynamic range so that loud music gets compressed digitally. This is quite different from adjusting the amplitude gain in analogue domain. That's why I personally do not use any of these processing. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #18,984 of 45,723
Yikes! DSD downloads are expensive 22 euro per album on Channel classics, but well worth, all my three channel classics albums upgraded from CD FLAC to DSD64

I used to hate DSD, because i misinterpreted some people who said DSD was a lossy format/process... really the lossy part is only when you do DSD to PCM or visceversa, PCM to DSD. Now i love it, to have spent 64 euros for three "upgrades" hehe :D

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #18,986 of 45,723
Next time i will try drag and drop to my WM1A and see how much albums i can fit, mediago strangely reports 970MB of "other files", therefore wasted space

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #18,987 of 45,723
MusicBee download site is working again, I downloaded latest version of it.

Will give it a shot, i've had it before and was faster than Media Go at indexing.

Quite similar to Media Go, acceptes Folder monitoring (handy for changes), accepts ransfer to walkman, I last tried with ZX100 and its SD card. New version supposedly plays DSD up to DSD256. I onli have DSD64 up to now, there's no word on MQA support (i don't care as i don't have any MQA and don't plan to have a file on that format). Album interface is similar to iTunes 12

Sin título.png
as i finish writing this post, it has already indexed 10k files out of 51911 tracks

EDIT >> it crashed when i was configuring it :rage:

EDIT #2 >> It plays DSD, in my case it gets downsampled to PCM 88.2KHzSin título.png

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #18,989 of 45,723
Music Bee is a nice alternative to Media go and *cough* Music Center *cough*

Runs fast, plays DSD, depending on your setup can do it natively or downsampled to PCM, the important part is that i handles DSD (for me all are 2.8224Mhz, so sorry for that yo guys who have higher rate DSDs)
Later will test walkman transfer (my new DSD upgrades :D)
Sin título.png

EDIT >> Walkman & Walkman Micro SD transfer success
Sin título01.png Sin título02.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back