SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #18,991 of 45,723
Hi guys... had a listen to the zx300 last week, pretty much decided to get it. So I went down to the Sony store do demo again with my own iem(Westone W60), but find that I need to crank up the vol quite a bit.. switch over to the 1A and was immediately wowed by the power it had. Music came alive and the dynamics become so much better.. did some A/B comparison and the 1A does much better...
Did a search and found that the ZX300 has 50mw vs the 1A 60mw output for the se.. does 10mw makes such a diff?

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #18,992 of 45,723
Maybe the 1A was in high gain, or the zx300 was capped...i have a zx300 and had a 1A and i can tell for sure 10 mw in se don't make a diference, the 1Z yes, has the same power of the 1A but has a much more powerfull sound, not a more "louder" sound but a more powerfull sound

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #18,994 of 45,723
Couple of questions on the NW-WM1Z / 1A:

1) Has anyone tried a 512gb Integral card in either 1Z or 1A https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-microSDXC-Memory-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B0798DW5NW/ref=sr_1_2 ? Any joy if so?

2) Can anyone recommend a good pairing of IEMs and On-Ear headphones with the 1A (and maybe the 1Z although I imagine they'd be the same. Different budgets will be possible, I have Ultrasone Pro 750, 1More Triple and some Soundmagic's E10 which always surprise me on quality considering the price. However, if I was to buy either of these Sonys I would love some new headphones to match the quality of those. Will probably keep the Ultrasone's as I don't really use over ear headphones so often.

Thanks

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #18,995 of 45,723

1) Has anyone tried a 512gb Integral card in either 1Z or 1A https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-microSDXC-Memory-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B0798DW5NW/ref=sr_1_2 ? Any joy if so?

2) Can anyone recommend a good pairing of IEMs and On-Ear headphones with the 1A (and maybe the 1Z although I imagine they'd be the same. Different budgets will be possible, I have Ultrasone Pro 750, 1More Triple and some Soundmagic's E10 which always surprise me on quality considering the price. However, if I was to buy either of these Sonys I would love some new headphones to match the quality of those. Will probably keep the Ultrasone's as I don't really use over ear headphones so often.

Thanks

I'm using the Sony Signature MDR-Z1R's with my WM1A.... Ive said it before, just sublime.....

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #18,996 of 45,723
Hello folks. Recently purchased the wm1z and it's on its way . I have got the kse1500 and after some research it seems it doesn't pair well. Could you please recommend over the ear headphones both balanced and single ended and iem which will be good match with this player. I am guessing it is z1r but looking for your recommendations. Thanks

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #18,997 of 45,723

Thanks

I dont think the 512 microsd card is already available on the market.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #18,998 of 45,723
Continuing on my review of music bee, you can configure how it will transfer to your devices, pretty neat. Is not just that simple convert to mp3 or aac or FLAC when needed. Well it also lets you transfer in the folder structure you want, for. Example if i want composer >album>track #- title, I can change so. Default is artist >album>disc-track#-title

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #18,999 of 45,723
Continuing on my review of music bee, you can configure how it will transfer to your devices, pretty neat. Is not just that simple convert to mp3 or aac or FLAC when needed. Well it also lets you transfer in the folder structure you want, for. Example if i want composer >album>track #- title, I can change so. Default is artist >album>disc-track#-title

did they ever add DSD support? I used Musicbee in the past, but left it once I started ripping my SACD collection and my DSD catalog grew. out of all the music formats I play on the WM1a, DSD seems to provide the most consistent listening experience. Now that might be partially due to the SACDs I have (chosen for best mastered sound) or not, but at least that is my perception

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #19,000 of 45,723
did they ever add DSD support? I used Musicbee in the past, but left it once I started ripping my SACD collection and my DSD catalog grew. out of all the music formats I play on the WM1a, DSD seems to provide the most consistent listening experience. Now that might be partially due to the SACDs I have (chosen for best mastered sound) or not, but at least that is my perception
I mentioned in an earlier post yesterday, Yup they seem to have added DSD support, i played my new three Channel classics DSF64 downloads and they played on musicBee, i don't have any DAC for my PC up to now so i played using the crappy integrated sound chip downsampled to PCM unknow bit depth 88.2KHz. MusicBee transferred those DSFs blazingly fast to my walkman memory, even faster than media GO.

I agree with you DSD seems to have the best listening experience on the WM1A (using native as well downsampled to PCM to play with filterings for fun), i had zero DSD albums until 2017 and now i have like 34 SACD rips and these three direct DSF downloads, too bad Linn records don't offer DSD, only PCM.

MusicBee may not be as fancy as Media Go or Music Center like showing that HR mark on each album that is Hi-res or having a Hi-res audio View, but you can tweak MB with lots of options to look for, f.e. I have The left pane set to COMPOSER to filter my albums by composer and center pane ALBUM view

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #19,001 of 45,723
Hello folks. Recently purchased the wm1z and it's on its way . I have got the kse1500 and after some research it seems it doesn't pair well. Could you please recommend over the ear headphones both balanced and single ended and iem which will be good match with this player. I am guessing it is z1r but looking for your recommendations. Thanks

Hi,
I am using both Noble K10C and Encore with 4.4mm cables = wonderful killer sound, definitely great pairing.
I also use AFC and Utopia = very good.
Hopes this help.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #19,002 of 45,723

Thanks
1) 400GB is confirmed, while 512GB is not. I don't have any experience with 512GB card, but theoretically it should work (not official though).
2) For IEM, I suggest trying 64 Audio Tia series (U18t, U12t, or new N8t). If you are ok with over-ear, I highly recommend Campfire Cascade. I don't have any on-ear cans.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #19,003 of 45,723
I have 1Z and am thoroughly enjoying 64 Audio Tia Fourte and U18 Tzar. For over-ear cans, I highly recommend Campfire Cascade if you are not allergic to powerful bass.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #19,004 of 45,723
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #19,005 of 45,723
I've managed to create a "Hi-res Audio" Tab on MusicBee, however the filters don't seem to include a field for Bit-depth (not the same as Bitrate, which is included). so far i've only filtered by Sample rate > 48000, therefore, it is not perfect as it is skipping all 24-bit/44.1 and 24-bit/48

On the picture below, you can see the filter has included all 88.2 to 192 FLAC and DSD (five albums shown, some cropped :D haha)
Sin título.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back