Sony NW-WM1Z Owner and Impressions !
Jan 11, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #77 of 175
  Is there a similar thread for the 1A? I can't find it.

You looking at the wrong place.

Somehow 1A is not High-end enough to be here. 
beyersmile.png

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815841/new-sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a-flagship-hi-end-dap

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #79 of 175
if  get the WM1A, coming from an DX90. is battery replacement after a few years possible or its a use and throw thing, 
my upgrade could be

1. the sony WM1A
2. basso dx200
3. ak 300 or the 70

need clarity , musical prsentation , mids and mids and airy highs and something different then the DX90 which is a great bang for the buck.
you can contract a Sony service station to remove and replace the battery in the future. Provided they still have them in their stock. It's a repair with a fee. It sure ain't easy to do it yourself by th looks of the service manual of the WM1.

But let's be honest here. How many years do you plan to keep it? Technology evolves so fast.
Today you have 128/200/256 mSD. Firmware won't be updated to accommodate support for day 512 or later 1gb. SoC/ARM CPUs and what not getting more efficient. I dunno, i rather enjoy now, resell for minor loss and get the next best upgrade.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #80 of 175
you can contract a Sony service station to remove and replace the battery in the future. Provided they still have them in their stock. It's a repair with a fee. It sure ain't easy to do it yourself by th looks of the service manual of the WM1.

But let's be honest here. How many years do you plan to keep it? Technology evolves so fast.
Today you have 128/200/256 mSD. Firmware won't be updated to accommodate support for day 512 or later 1gb. SoC/ARM CPUs and what not getting more efficient. I dunno, i rather enjoy now, resell for minor loss and get the next best upgrade.

By June 2018 I plan to be telepathically connected to my music network. Fully wireless  
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #81 of 175
Well thanks for your impressions so you don't own any Ak380 Cu to compare with. For what I read you have the EU version which is volume capped. The non-capped version has high gain you can drive most headphones.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #82 of 175
Well thanks for your impressions so you don't own any Ak380 Cu to compare with. For what I read you have the EU version which is volume capped. The non-capped version has high gain you can drive most headphones.

Go to the other thread for an update.  The EU volume cap can be easily eliminated.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #83 of 175

As mentioned above this is no longer an issue.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#Changing_destination_settings_and_sound_pressure_regulation

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #86 of 175
So, I've almost convinced myself that I have to get the WM1Z. Just ordered a 4.4 balanced KK cable for the XBA-Z5 (small steps, lol).
Anyone with any real experience with the 1Z and the Z5 in balanced? 
popcorn.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #87 of 175
No, but I have a balanced 2.5 for the Z5 that I can convert to 4.4. I'll try to give it a go tomorrow for you. Don't think I'll have time tonight. Have to first find the balanced cable... A struggle in itself.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #88 of 175
And there's this another thing on my mind. Perhaps this is not the right forum but appreciate any inputs.

I currently use a ZX-100 with PHA-3 in balanced mode with Z7 (KimberKable). Going by the threads, I understand that ZR1 is a terrific headphone and am getting it very soon. My question here is - will PHA-3/ZX-100 combo will be a nice pair for ZR1 or should I just sell everything to get the WM1Z with ZR1?

Both my ZX-100 AND PHA-2 has less than 40 hrs on them. Got 'em in December. Who would have thought an upgrade is due this soon? 
blink.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #90 of 175
Well, Wm1z and z1r is great. However though...I prefer utopia with WM1Z in all honesty. A touch of warmth and analog from Wm1z and neutrality with balances and dynamic from Utopia is excellent synergy

Thanks buddy! Looking at all gear you have acquired, I must say you're not a married man, lol
Let me start with the 1Z then; will order tonight. Balanced KK for Z5 on the way. Let's give the player and the old man some time to save for Utopia/Z1R. I will bug you again on the cables... later

Thanks again for the great insight!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back