SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #15,406 of 15,604
Hi . In your opinion, what are the things that Wm1am2 has less than Wm1zm2, which may make you prefer the purchase of the more expensive version?
I usually listen female vocals, WM1ZM2 is very special on that particular genes, warm, lush mids with a magical touch.
WM1AM2 sounds good too but lack the above mentioned.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #15,407 of 15,604
I usually listen female vocals, WM1ZM2 is very special on that particular genes, warm, lush mids with a magical touch.
WM1AM2 sounds good too but lack the above mentioned.
This is very interesting . Thank you for your reply 👍

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #15,408 of 15,604
This is very interesting . Thank you for your reply 👍
No problem, bro.
I actually ordered WM1AM2 from my favourite store, Zeppelin in Singapore.
When they called me to collect my WM1AM2, they asked me to try WM1ZM2 😂. Should be thankful to Kristy (boss) for the poison.
After listening to WM1ZM2, I cancelled the WM1AM2 & ordered WM1ZM2 from them instead and of course massive top up is required. But I think it's worth it.
Another thing about WM1ZM2, what Sony engineers mentioned they use copper and gold plated chassis for it is meant for grounding is true. I use Kojo Crystal EP on it have very little improvement on its sound quality. Whereas when used on other DAPs have massive differences.
Sony engineers had done a very good job on the grounding and they really succeeded, not just marketing talk.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #15,409 of 15,604
Yes it is possible to connect the M2 Walkman to the TA-ZH1ES Walkman port, you just need to have the right cables or USB-C adaptor attachment on top of your existing cable.

The Walkman does not have a true line out, however it is still possible to use the Walkman’s 4.4mm headphone jack to connect to another amp, just have to make sure that the volume set on the Walkman is not overly high to the point where it is causing audible distortion to the connected amp, meaning there’s a volume sweet spot to be found.
Thanks a lot 🙂

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #15,410 of 15,604
Hi . In your opinion, what are the things that Wm1am2 has less than Wm1zm2, which may make you prefer the purchase of the more expensive version?
All joking aside.. the gold-plated chassis and my joy of looking at it every morning makes it all worth it :smile: I think that counts for something...

Will let others comment on the sound hahaha..

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #15,411 of 15,604
All joking aside.. the gold-plated chassis and my joy of looking at it every morning makes it all worth it :smile: I think that counts for something...

Hmm…it’s an aspirational product for sure in portable audio from Sony and hence brings pride of ownership.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #15,412 of 15,604
Here's some proof from my own camera :heart_eyes:

DSCF5277.jpg
DSCF5279.jpg
DSCF5281.jpg
DSCF5282.jpg
DSCF5278.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #15,413 of 15,604
I had both together for 1 day. Honestly could barely tell a difference, they both sound really good. This was with an IER-Z1R. Maybe an IEM with more resolution like a U12T or Annihilator would be able to notice a difference but for the most part they were indistinguishable to me. I kept the 1Z since I got it used vs paying new for the 1A. Price difference was not much.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #15,414 of 15,604
Apr 12, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #15,416 of 15,604
I had both together for 1 day. Honestly could barely tell a difference, they both sound really good. This was with an IER-Z1R. Maybe an IEM with more resolution like a U12T or Annihilator would be able to notice a difference but for the most part they were indistinguishable to me. I kept the 1Z since I got it used vs paying new for the 1A. Price difference was not much.
I have done comparisons between WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 at two different time periods

First was done back in firmware 1.01
And the second time was done recently at firmware 1.07

I would think the differences in sound between these two models has narrowed even further less in the 1.07. There still differences in the way which the Z model lingers/decays transients and having slightly more bass strength but I would think that the differences might require really critical listening to notice them.

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #15,417 of 15,604
I am interested with your statements in comparing Kann Ultra and WM1A, kindly tell me which firmware that was installed on the WM1A and the settings used, and the region please.
It is simply 3.02 firmware and uses Direct Source. Language is Korean.

I'm aware of the existence of custom firmware like Mr.walkman, but I'm not really interested in it.

If I own two identical Walkman models, I would like to compare them.

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #15,418 of 15,604
This is a major point, that the Sony Engineer had a reason for not grounding the 4.4mm
Unfortunately, nothing is that simple.
- Why did they choose to use OFC wiring for the 4.4mm jacks on the WM1A, and Kimber on the WM1Z? Was that the best? But there are many mods that people have said is a major improvement. The K mod from Singapore, mods by @Nayparm, @Whitigir, Romi, etc.
- Why did they put in relays in the signal path to the 4.4mm. Yes, it blocks transient noise from signal switch/turn on, etc. But this is cosmetic, and not necessary overall. This causes a major deterioration of the signal integrity, due to the weak/small relay contacts. This extra circuitry is, to me, massively detrimental to the signal.
Why, oh Why did the Sony Engineers put this cosmetic design/weakness in, is what I have asked, many times.

So to say that a Sony Engineer will make perfect decisions, ALWAYs, is not true. Sony engineers have massively more knowledge and experience than the average user. But they also have weaknesses and blind spots, like anybody else. Less than most, but there are still areas that they also are weak in their knowledge. They are, after all, only human.
And I also would give my trust to the Sony Engineer's knowledge and experience. But I would not impute on them the expectation to be perfect and infallible. Nobody is, and knowledge can always be expanded on, modified, changed.

And to use the reasoning that "X company's engineer made the design decision, so it must be the best design", cannot be a blanket rationale, as all engineers have constraints and goals imposed on them, along with their personal bias from their training, experience, background. Else why would successive products have improvements? Because those self same engineers grew their knowledge and experience, and found better ways to do things. Or had less or different constraints imposed on them.
Knowledge is not finite, but just a base to expand upon.

So the current situation is normal. Each person evaluates, and makes their choice, for their own system (equipment, music, ears). There is no one size fits all solution, and never will be.
Don't get me started on low screen refresh rates on all WMZ series giving me Pulse Width Modulation headaches....😜

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #15,419 of 15,604

A man feels the same too. It is the best looking DAP IMO. A work of art. 🍺

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #15,420 of 15,604
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back