SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #15,031 of 15,611
That's what they mean by "using your music to listen to your gear" ultimately forgetting why we are listening.
The price some of us pay for being an Audiophile.

Also,I don't know if this is included in the DeBloating Guide but disabling the app "Speech Services by Google" has dramatically increased the UI speed.
That’s fine..I like listening to hardware sound be It car, lathe machine or my amplifier and speaker.

But there is no harm in trying and there is always a return window.

I don’t proclaim myself as Music first Audiophile like some YouTuber. If the hardware is producing my favourite music that is to my liking I enjoy it…

I think speech service is already part of the guide if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #15,034 of 15,611
Seems like there’s a Japanese company that is very similar in flash storage manufacturing to Swissbit(Germany) called Hagiwara Solutions. They are also known as Elecom if you came across their LAN and USB-C cables.

I shall dig deeper into this and see if their industrial cards are well speced and if they are available outside of Japan.

The 256GB 3D TLC seems to have very low power consumption: Read: 70mA Write 90mA
http://www.hagisol.co.jp/download/p...orage/Pdf/HSXS23037-A01_MSDB-xxxGK(SxxTLS.pdf

the low power consumption has me interested...
the other card I am interested is greenliant.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #15,035 of 15,611
My ultra brief comparison between AM2 and ZM2 post fw1.08 based entirely on memory. (Both recently switched to Japanese from English)

The sound signatures are closer than before. Without understanding what a copper chassis and Kimber cable can do to the sound, it seemed obvious before that something more was going on. Surely they were tuned differently? (Okay, not surely). Now the AM2 seems to have better bass than before. And (I'm less sure if this) the ZM2 seems to sound faster than before, without sacrificing any of that thick body. Can decay be frequency specific? Cymbals linger more on the ZM2, but they're still so fast.

It's easy for me to believe they have matched the tuning on these two devices on fw1.08, and the difference in sound is now down to the copper chassis and Kimber (but I don't know).
I'm strongly biased towards the Z, it still has more body/bass/decay. And the A is still faster. The detail is different in a way I can't describe (texture vs accuracy?). Both are desirable. The ZM2 sounds $500 dollars better. The AM2 sounds $1000 dollars better. IMHO :)

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #15,036 of 15,611
the low power consumption has me interested...
the other card I am interested is greenliant.
Yes, as what Mr. Sato has said, power consumption of the microsd affects the sound of walkman. Thus I would believe that lower power draw would be for better for the walkman.

There's a few more industrial microsd manufacturers out there:
Flexxon, Singapore
Delkin, USA
ATP, Taiwan
Innodisk, Taiwan
Adata, Taiwan
Exascend, Taiwan

Some of these may not have their own in-house developed nand controller like Swissbit do and could be using 3rd party controllers but all would still have features that is only found in industrial cards like enhanced power loss protection, auto read refresh, better error correction and more sophisticated wear leveling.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #15,037 of 15,611
My ultra brief comparison between AM2 and ZM2 post fw1.08 based entirely on memory. (Both recently switched to Japanese from English)

The sound signatures are closer than before. Without understanding what a copper chassis and Kimber cable can do to the sound, it seemed obvious before that something more was going on. Surely they were tuned differently? (Okay, not surely). Now the AM2 seems to have better bass than before. And (I'm less sure if this) the ZM2 seems to sound faster than before, without sacrificing any of that thick body. Can decay be frequency specific? Cymbals linger more on the ZM2, but they're still so fast.

It's easy for me to believe they have matched the tuning on these two devices on fw1.08, and the difference in sound is now down to the copper chassis and Kimber (but I don't know).
I'm strongly biased towards the Z, it still has more body/bass/decay. And the A is still faster. The detail is different in a way I can't describe (texture vs accuracy?). Both are desirable. The ZM2 sounds $500 dollars better. The AM2 sounds $1000 dollars better. IMHO :)
I would think that the faster sound of the AM2 tends to be more revealing of digital artifacts and recording flaws as compared to ZM2. Thus I would think that a low noise microsd like the Swissbit is even more important for the AM2. Not that ZM2 cannot benefit from lower noise microsd but the more revealing AM2 would stand to benefit much more. What do you think? Since you have heard the swissbit on both ZM2 and AM2 for 1.08.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #15,038 of 15,611
Yes, as what Mr. Sato has said, power consumption of the microsd affects the sound of walkman. Thus I would believe that lower power draw would be for better for the walkman.

There's a few more industrial microsd manufacturers out there:
Flexxon, Singapore
Delkin, USA
ATP, Taiwan
Innodisk, Taiwan
Adata, Taiwan
Exascend, Taiwan

Some of these may not have their own in-house developed nand controller like Swissbit do and could be using 3rd party controllers but all would still have features that is only found in industrial cards like enhanced power loss protection, auto read refresh, better error correction and more sophisticated wear leveling.
I am more interested in Greenliant due to NAND configuration - single bit per cell

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #15,039 of 15,611
I would think that the faster sound of the AM2 tends to be more revealing of digital artifacts and recording flaws as compared to ZM2. Thus I would think that a low noise microsd like the Swissbit is even more important for the AM2. Not that ZM2 cannot benefit from lower noise microsd but the more revealing AM2 would stand to benefit much more. What do you think? Since you have heard the swissbit on both ZM2 and AM2 for 1.08.
Thee output is still the same if using the same mircosd...

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #15,040 of 15,611
I completely agree. The greater transparency of AM2 benefits from a lower noise floor :)

These devices deserve a Swissbit ❤️

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #15,041 of 15,611
Thee output is still the same if using the same mircosd...
What I meant was the revealing nature of the AM2 if paired with a bad microSD would be sounding even worse(more emphasis on noise artifacts) and would be showing higher levels of improvements if paired to a good microSD.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #15,042 of 15,611

🙏🖖🖖

🙂thanks much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back