SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #14,776 of 15,721
Although all these can be considered as purely marketing articles from the Sony site, it seems to be a very common theme that Sony likes to get musicians to give their sound impressions on the Walkman/other audio products. I think this could be how Sony audio engineers would have worked with their own inhouse record label musicians & studio engineers to gather feedback about the Walkman's sound tuning & sound processing algorthims.

What I felt with the Walkman "NW-ZX707" and the headphones "IER-M7"
is that "the mode in which you face the sound changes."

It feels like you're checking it out in a recording studio.

“I also like R&B and hip-hop, and I listen to Beyoncé a lot, but I had a chance to listen to an a cappella and instrumental version of the song ``CUFF IT.'' With this combination of Walkman and headphones, When I tried streaming it, I was surprised to find that it felt like I was checking it out in a recording studio.Usually, when I check a song that has been mixed, I listen to the different parts of the song separately. I feel like I'm listening to and checking my own songs using special equipment in the studio.The clear sound brings to mind images of the studio. Now, that atmosphere has come back to me.When I actually listened to some of my own songs, I noticed that in the binaural versions of the songs I could hear collisions of sounds that I hadn't noticed before, and that I should be careful when mixing. I also noticed this.If I ever go to check a mix in a situation where I can't go to the studio, I'll have to listen to this kind of combination, which gave me a good sense of crisis about my own playback environment.''
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/playingtime01_1/?s_pid=feature_products_189

Ohashi: The music production environment has changed significantly in the 15 years since my debut. In the past, finishing touches were usually done outside in a studio. However, recently we have been able to create a production environment where everything from recording to mixing can be completed at home, and I actually do the same. That's why I wish there was a music player like the NW-ZX707 that was faithful to the original sound. This allows you to explore more deeply the tone and sound image of each instrument.
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/230111/

What was it?

Honma: What I always thought was the reverb sound was the resonance of the tom in response to the vibrations of the rim shot. I understood it for the first time when I listened to it on "NW-WM1ZM2." This acoustics is something you can't understand unless you listen to it in a recording studio. I was really surprised at how realistic and immersive it felt, just like being at the recording site. I also wanted to tell Tatsuo Hayashi and Masataka Matsutoya, who produced it.
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/220322/?s_pid=feature_products_172

What surprised me was the quality of the sound ,

which felt like listening to work.

``I'm still a heavy listener, and I definitely listen to music while I'm on the move, but cords around my neck bother me, so I use Bluetooth earphones for listening while I'm on the move. I use about 10 different products because each manufacturer has different sound quality and individuality.I'm concerned about optimizing the music genre and setup environment, so I try different earphones that I use every day.So far I have used a variety of earphones, but I feel that the WF-1000XM4 was a great encounter.The first thing that surprised me was that the texture of the songs I listened to on my smartphone, which I listened to on a subscription service, sounded as if I had arranged them myself. It was a level that you could listen to with the same feeling as checking out music in a studio.By upscaling with `` DSEE Extreme *1 '', the sound quality that professionals demand from listening to music on subscriptions is now up to this level. I was genuinely moved by how amazing it was to be able to get so close to it. The sound quality is comparable even if you listen to it with the intention of monitoring or checking rather than listening. I thought I could use it at work too. There are some earphones and headphone products that have extremely unique EQ *2 balances, but since I listen to music in an all-purpose way, regardless of genre, I prefer something that allows me to grasp the entire range. In that respect, I have the impression that the WF-1000XM4 can handle a variety of soundscapes. The entire sound range sounds flat, yet there is no sense of fading, and there is no unnecessary low boost
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/220222/?s_pid=feature_products_170

Um, can I tell you my honest impressions...? Until recently, I had been listening to the very high-quality version that showed its true potential, so as soon as I started streaming the sound source, I felt that the sound quality had become much more minimal, even though I was supposed to be listening to it all the time. However, once I turned on upscaling, things seemed to go back to normal. Even though it wasn't 100%, it felt like it was pretty close to the original sound.
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/220322/?s_pid=feature_products_172

Sony would even record the interview of the audience's impressions of their 360RA system:
We will bring you an interview with an artist who has strong feelings and impressions about Eiichi Otaki and his songs, who will experience the 360 Reality Audio listening experience of "A LONG VACATION". Using Sony's 360 stereophonic sound technology, the audience listened to all of the songs in ``A LONG VACATION'' in a new experience where sounds rained down on them from all directions, and each of them spoke about the charm and discoveries of the songs.

Even more artiste:
https://www.sony.jp/headphone/lovemusic/

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #14,777 of 15,721
@flyer1

Although you didn’t hear changes on the 1ZM2, I would like to ask you about what you are hearing from changing the language on ZX707. Although the 1AM2 and ZX707 obviously do not sound the same, does my impressions or boodi’s sound impressions of the different languages tunings somewhat matches your experience on the ZX707? I just want to confirm if there is any similarities to how the languages sounded between these two Walkman.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #14,778 of 15,721
@flyer1

Although you didn’t hear changes on the 1ZM2, I would like to ask you about what you are hearing from changing the language on ZX707. Although the 1AM2 and ZX707 obviously do not sound the same, does my impressions or boodi’s sound impressions of the different languages tunings somewhat matches your experience on the ZX707? I just want to confirm if there is any similarities to how the languages sounded between these two Walkman.
Your impressions on the 1AM2 match with mine on the ZX707.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #14,779 of 15,721
I hope this thread never ends, as I love reading all the comments all of you I have learned a lot about the subject, I am more of a music lover than an audiophile, but every time I love the way my Walkman sounds.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #14,780 of 15,721
A Japanese review of the MDR-MV1 balanced with WM1AM2:
The old man who loves music ・3 months ago

A notice to large orchestras and opera lovers​

As part of the end of life, I got rid of the full of audio in the room and lived in the walkman and headphones for half a year. It seems to be a lie that I spent all my time taking measures against standing waves and echoes, and every day I am satisfied with the pure playback sound of headphones. The equipment used is MDR-Z7 and XBA-Z5. Wired, of course. The wireless of the fly is out of the question. These two types have perfect resolution and positioning, and female vocals are approaching in front of you. The bass also comes out well. But, but, however, the playback of orchestras and operas is sadly poor. I love it, but it's hard to listen to classical music. There is no sound spread at all as if it proves the "intrahead positioning" which is the fate of headphones. The sound field is narrow. There are 50 orchestra members sitting in a room of 6 tatami mats. The resolution is good, so the oboe, basson, and flute will fly from the same place. In the days of disappointment, the information that "the open type of the next Sony business monitor seems to be good." Open type? For business use? Monitor? What's that? I immediately went to the Sony Store and listened to MDR-MV1. A vast sound field appears both sideways and back. It revives the feeling of sitting and listening in front of the speaker like before. It goes without saying that I took it home immediately. I'm aging by leaving the sound flowing for 3 days without putting it on my ears.
For example, "Beethoven's 9th 4th movement" and "Mozart's Requiem 9th" are not a sound from the speakers, so it is not a special seat in the concert hall, but the place is right behind Karajan. It's more in front of the front row of the audience, but it's unavoidable with headphones. The pleasure that the whole body is wrapped in performance and singing voice. Of course, it's an illusion, but it's a spatial expression that makes you feel like you can hear the echo from behind. It's really live. The main melody of woodwind instruments that come out without losing to the chorus. The resolution is also perfect. If you say that you can enjoy Karajan's calculated directing ability, is it too much praise? If you like classical orchestras and opera and have an environment where you can only use headphones, please listen to it. However, although the impedance of MDR-MV1 is low, DAP requires NW-ZX707 or higher, for example, if it is a Walkman. By the way, I use NW-WM1AM2. There is no need for a high-resolution sound source that does not spread as much as it is said, but a balanced connection is essential (MUC-S12NB1 cable is recommended) and further spatial expression is possible. Please listen to it once. I don't want to hold Sony's shoulder. The BRAVIA broke in 5 years before, so the stance is basically withdrawn
https://www.sony.jp/owner-review/re...tps://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-MV1/

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #14,781 of 15,721
Your impressions on the 1AM2 match with mine on the ZX707.
This is interesting. Looks like there is more mystery to uncover about this Sony chameleon sound signatures.

I wonder if this language setting would also affect the A306.

Maybe @FreeTime can share his experience?

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #14,782 of 15,721
Been trying out this configuration on my WM1AM2:

Simplified Chinese language
Headphone app disabled
High Res Streaming Off
DSD Sharp Roll Off
DSD Remastering On

To me it has a very natural and clear sound. The simplified Chinese language seems to pair really well with DSD Remastering mode, noticeably improving clarity to vocals.

Recommend to try for those able to hear sound changes with language setting and want to try a new unique listening experience.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #14,783 of 15,721
Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #14,785 of 15,721
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #14,786 of 15,721
MDR-MV1 is my go to lately with the Z.

Excellent synergy with the Z from the balanced port!:)
Sony actually developed the MDR-MV1 with a lot of feedback from the music production engineers and sound creators of movies. Don’t think any other headphone company actually deals with music production on the scale that Sony does. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Music

Did you have the actual music production sites try the sound you made in this way by the creators and engineers?​

Shiomi: Of course. Sony Group has a music company called Sony Music (SME), so you can bring "MDR-MV1" to the actual music production site, and use it in the three-dimensional acoustic sound source production and the track production part in the first stage. We have received a lot of feedback from the people on site, and it is reflected in the product.

Tanaka: One time, I went on a business trip to the United States with Shiomi, and after actually trying it at Sony Music's studio in New York, I flew to the West Coast as it was, and "MDR-MV1" was given to the sound creator of movies and games. There was also a time when you tried it. I feel that it was a good experience that creators from a wide range of genres were able to understand what kind of sound quality they wanted in sound source production by trying it out in their actual work.

Shiomi: Under such circumstances, I was very happy to receive a comment from a famous engineer saying, "If you have "MDR-MV1", you can definitely make a good mix of three-dimensional sound," and I am still impressed.
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/230411/?s_pid=jp_/headphone/_products/_MDR-MV1

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #14,788 of 15,721
Lol

It took 4 days
I wasn't home on delivery too so..
for what it is worth, the word cult is not necessary a negative or degrading description. It has like four different meanings depending on the context:

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/cult#:~:text=[count]-,1,people as extreme or dangerous

1 cult
/ˈkʌlt/
noun
plural cults
[count]

: a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous
[+] Example sentences

: a situation in which people admire and care about something or someone very much or too much
[+] Example sentences

: a small group of very devoted supporters or fans
[+] Example sentences

formal : a system of religious beliefs and rituals
[

Users who are viewing this thread

Back