SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #13,906 of 15,722
I have been using quality equipment for years. I have been listening to DSD recordings. I can immediately tell the difference between the mp3 recordings and 24 bit recordings in my archive. Even though I made all the lossless settings in Apple music, I could not hear any difference between Spotify and Apple music. Even though I did an a/b test with many different songs for 1 hour, it is exactly the same. !I was hoping for a clear difference. Why do you think there was such a result?
Note: I downloaded it losslessly from the Apple music application to my WM1AM2 player.
There is not even the slightest difference between spotify and apple music. What is wrong? There must be a clear difference between 320 kbps mp3 and 24 bit!
On my computer, which may also act in the same way for the A2, with Apple Music if you stream it, the music will play in hi-res/lossless, but if you play it from download it will be 256 AAC File.

In short, try the difference in streaming from Apple Music vs Spotify.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #13,908 of 15,722
I have been using quality equipment for years. I have been listening to DSD recordings. I can immediately tell the difference between the mp3 recordings and 24 bit recordings in my archive. Even though I made all the lossless settings in Apple music, I could not hear any difference between Spotify and Apple music. Even though I did an a/b test with many different songs for 1 hour, it is exactly the same. !I was hoping for a clear difference. Why do you think there was such a result?
Note: I downloaded it losslessly from the Apple music application to my WM1AM2 player.
There is not even the slightest difference between spotify and apple music. What is wrong? There must be a clear difference between 320 kbps mp3 and 24 bit!
I would be in the opinion that the Walkman’s ability to make lossy Spotify sound as good as Apple Lossless is due to the clever work of Sony’s engineering magic(combination of software and hardware) or it could be the other way round of Sony’s non-bit perfect system not able to render fully lossless bit-perfect sound. Although I still in the opinion that Walkman Music Player with offline lossless music files is still the sonically superior audiophile listening experience to these streaming apps which does mysterious audio normalisation:

https://www.production-expert.com/p...lufs-loudness-level-for-apple-music-heres-why

https://www.sageaudio.com/articles/...platform-loudness-and-normalization-explained

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #13,909 of 15,722
I have my ZM2 and am considering updating the firmware to 1.07 and reset the device. Here are my questions:

1. Will it delete the music I downloaded from my Apple Music? (It's a nightmare if I have to download it again...)
2. Will the Audio play meter reset after the master reset?

Thanks a lot!

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #13,910 of 15,722
What are the settings on the Sony? Are you upsampling everything that is played?

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #13,911 of 15,722
Sometimes subtle differences can seem huge.

I just tried Dioxit on my microSD for the very first time. Barely wiped it a couple of times. Inserted it a couple of times. And it sounds ... cleaner, more full, blacker blacks, and details I haven't heard before.

I felt like my Dad cleaning the heads of the cassette player with rubbing alcohol.

Anyways, I'm a believer. Recommended :)

These subtle sounds are very essential elements that makes the music feel present and engaging. I didn’t expect my own debloated Walkman to sound so much more enjoyable and refined than the demo unit at Sony store, I was very surprised by the differences in cleanliness and clarity of the sound.

I would be in the opinion that the Swissbit microSD card plays a very important factor to the high level of transparency and clarity that I am hearing out of my wm1am2. Am I crazy? Yes.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #13,912 of 15,722
New update: Sony Headphone App 10.3.0 released on 15 Jan 2024.

It sounds to my ears that Sony engineers has yet again unmentionably tweaked the HRTF/Spatial sound algorithm in this new update. Just feels abit more enveloping in the surround sound feel.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #13,913 of 15,722
New update: Sony Headphone App 10.3.0 released on 15 Jan 2024.

It sounds to my ears that Sony engineers has yet again unmentionably tweaked the HRTF/Spatial sound algorithm in this new update. Just feels abit more enveloping in the surround sound feel.
Everytime I try to get my head around this app, I forget how to use it. I'm not certain whether they fully work over on Walkman, I wish Sony was more transparent.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #13,914 of 15,722
Everytime I try to get my head around this app, I forget how to use it. I'm not certain whether they fully work over on Walkman, I wish Sony was more transparent.
The app really needs more work. They don’t even allow for generic headphone/iem profile for those audiophiles with multiple non-Sony iems and headphones.

I think the lines are going to get even more blurry as we live in time of AI and Machine Learning, the sound algorithms used by Sony could have been developed by AI and is always improving itself. I myself is still very impressed by how spatially immersive my 1990s stereo music sounds on the M2 Walkman.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #13,915 of 15,722
The app really needs more work. They don’t even allow for generic headphone/iem profile for those audiophiles with multiple non-Sony iems and headphones.

I think the lines are going to get even more blurry as we live in time of AI and Machine Learning, the sound algorithms used by Sony could have been developed by AI and is always improving itself. I myself is still very impressed by how spatially immersive my 1990s stereo music sounds on the M2 Walkman.
I'm personally hopeful that if any, Sony should be the first to get it right due to their already extensive R&D into Sound reproduction using AI. If they really wanted to, and if they were a true Software company, they would have sold an unrestricted version of DSEE HX which that designed to go 90% of your CPU power.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #13,917 of 15,722
Doesnt DSEE AI do exactly that?
No, as it plays with a set of predefined algorithm based what Sony Engineers think work best. The one I'm talking about, and this is based on first hand experience of someone who has seen it live, is the actual algorithm Sony has is live, and extremely CPU intensive. They obviously can't put that on a Walkman, and don't want to give it away via Sony Music Centre for PC as it contains their intellectual work, based on arguably over two decades of R&D.

Read this link if you can: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ee-hx-ai-dsee-ultimate-dsee-extreme-do.14832/

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #13,918 of 15,722
No, as it plays with a set of predefined algorithm based what Sony Engineers think work best. The one I'm talking about, and this is based on first hand experience of someone who has seen it live, is the actual algorithm Sony has is live, and extremely CPU intensive. They obviously can't put that on a Walkman, and don't want to give it away via Sony Music Centre for PC as it contains their intellectual work, based on arguably over two decades of R&D.

Read this link if you can: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ee-hx-ai-dsee-ultimate-dsee-extreme-do.14832/
I think i get what you mean, but i somewhat doubt that there is enough low quality music left these days that it is worth implementing an even crazier Version of that technology.

The only bad quality recording i had that i used DSEE on just gut an Remaster in the end of 2022 and the result is pretty much perfect. So since that remaster was released, i do no longer use DSEE at all as i have nothing i could use it on.

So it would be hard to justify extensive and expensive (for Sony and the customer) development of an Technology that is dying out as it solves an problem that slowly disappears.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #13,919 of 15,722
Does the music player get updated? Showing version 2.0.2 for me. I'm having hard time finding info on this

I just updated to 1.07 and making sure I'm updated on everything

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #13,920 of 15,722
Does the music player get updated? Showing version 2.0.2 for me. I'm having hard time finding info on this

I just updated to 1.07 and making sure I'm updated on everything
1.07.00 is the latest version for the System, 2.0.2 the latest for the Walkman App

Users who are viewing this thread

Back