SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 27, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #13,936 of 15,987
I do agree with you that if you have a 1AM2 with Sony house sound tuning then the 1ZM2 would probably not make sense.

I had a different and positive experience with Z1R+1ZM2 pairing especially on my test tracks with mainstream K-pop, anime OSTs, some Daft Punk, Lorde, Avenged Sevenfold, Rammstein, Linkin Park etc. From my listening notes in Dec 2022, 1AM2 was also really good and had a more transparent, colder tuning and less sub-bass (vs Z). Is that what you experienced too?
I left 1zm2 and kept 1am2

I know well Daft Pank, Lorde and Rammstein

I have had different iems and headphones for testing, and I feel I got to know both players quite well..

I agree with you.
1am2 is slightly colder , faster , and..really good. In fact I already wrote the very same aspects in the past here 🙂

I prefer it over ESS 9038 integrated DAPs ( 9038 is known to be very linear and very slightly cold ) I own the Fiio M15s which carries it and... exploits it very well.

As for having already the Shanling M9+ for heavyloads workout / warm and refined , the lighter tone of 1am2 is a quite good to have.. and of my preference instead of the M15s for a roll. This might be personal choice , M15s overlaps on the M9+ aspects more then what 1am2 does , and I would never say that it is inferior , it offers a lively quite vibrant and dynamic sound; and it's not particularly light in its presentation ..
..so , when I compare 1am2 to other daps there are differences in sound that makes up for preferring one in place of another , in this comparisons the thing the bothers me the most is the flat dynamics ( when compared to others then 1am2 is quite lacking for dyanamic swings and contrasts ) , so I hope that when 1am3 comes out , Sony eng.s have addressed this aspect.

I must say that 1zm2 offers slightly better dynamics , or at least the fact - or problem as it may be well received as such i.e. in my case - is less evident : as it is masked by a more subtle/sublime harmony of balance, that involves the expression of more micronuanced transients for mids and highs in frqs flow , + a stiffer sub-bass base that makes for more pronounced shelf and contrast and helps visualizing a larger stage .

I wouldn't call 1am2 subtle or sublime , but ...sweet nice and fast .

1zm2 is like the model or thing you aspire and long for ..so there's always something ideal or higher about the refined character that he hands to you and that you don't rationalize completely , that's why I - as others here said in the past too - have that feeling of the player calling you back for more

1am2 is a bit more evident as for sound structure and margins , so while balance and refinement is very good exactly like you hear and say , then there's less 'secret sauce' or hidden talents to decipher in it ..and for this peculiar reason I kinda like and appreciate it for its own ways , as an easygoing safe and sweet place that has a fresh lighter character in its very good manners , and I may be in need and preference of this trait at times..

Hope that it makes some sense or helps..

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #13,938 of 15,987
Happy new owner of the 1AM2 reporting in - I've had the NW-WM1A OG for about 3 years now and still gets regular use, likewise even the ZX300 from before that. Big Sony fan and happy to have the opportunity to now try the 1AM2.

Question - this is a 2nd hand Japanese unit, as such uncapped. I want to do a system reset but slightly reluctant as I'm in Europe - do I risk it switching to a local region or anything like that?!

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #13,939 of 15,987
Happy new owner of the 1AM2 reporting in - I've had the NW-WM1A OG for about 3 years now and still gets regular use, likewise even the ZX300 from before that. Big Sony fan and happy to have the opportunity to now try the 1AM2.

Question - this is a 2nd hand Japanese unit, as such uncapped. I want to do a system reset but slightly reluctant as I'm in Europe - do I risk it switching to a local region or anything like that?!
No.
You risk nothing, been done frequently here so..✔️

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #13,940 of 15,987

Chiming in. Should be fine, didn't seem to affect the uncapped US models, can't imagine why it'd affect the Japanese one.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #13,941 of 15,987
Ok great, thanks guys - figured it was unlikely but wanted to be sure!

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #13,942 of 15,987

Scuba, was your 1A OG running Mr. Walkman firmware? Curious on a comparison with new 1AM2. Just got both for a ‘transportable’ option and will likely only hold on to one.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #13,943 of 15,987
Scuba, was your 1A OG running Mr. Walkman firmware? Curious on a comparison with new 1AM2. Just got both for a ‘transportable’ option and will likely only hold on to one.

Yes I was running the 1Z firmware, can't recall the exact name and don't have to hand - yes will certainly compare them in the coming days. I remember when I first got the 1A OG it seemed quite big/heavy compared to my ZX507 and ZX300, fast forward 3 years and it feels like a nice and compact device!

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #13,945 of 15,987
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #13,946 of 15,987
I saw some great deal on Amazon JP for WM1Z, as low as 1,200 AUD. Shame they don't ship to where I live.
Congrats on your purchase @Scuba Devils , Sony is the only DAP I don't regret and out of all the Sony products I owned over the years, the one that I kept are still going strong, and you don't have to worry about worrying about rushed products which end up overhearting and dying on your like my two other DAPS.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #13,947 of 15,987
Saw these posts and I too do notice when I switch on my unit. Doesn’t bother me much but I do see it from time to time specially when the background is black. Is it like common with Walkman after certain hrs put in ? I don’t want Sony to replace the screen for it to appear again. Also it gets better as I keep using the player and is more visible during startup and initial period.

Mine, its start to show some vertical ghost bands on the left and right part of the screen. Strange, that this issue only is visible in the grey color.
In the black a white colores I don't see any of this...

Same issue on mine - saw the same in a demo unit at a Sony shop. Had my screen replaced - have not seen it since.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #13,948 of 15,987
I saw some great deal on Amazon JP for WM1Z, as low as 1,200 AUD. Shame they don't ship to where I live.
Congrats on your purchase @Scuba Devils , Sony is the only DAP I don't regret and out of all the Sony products I owned over the years, the one that I kept are still going strong, and you don't have to worry about worrying about rushed products which end up overhearting and dying on your like my two other DAPS.

I check Amazon JP regularly as there are times when sellers do ship to Ireland - there were ZX707s working out at a great price landed around Christmas but I didn’t take the plunge, regretted and often check since.

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #13,949 of 15,987
It seems that you need some luck to find that price, I just checked myself, the lowest I can get is USD $1,145 for an acceptable condition, which is much more expensive than what I can get from eBay (again Japanese sellers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back